Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #76
recovering user

Hahaha....

Yeah, but then you spend the rest of the time kicking yourself for buying it...

mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #77
blessed beyond reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiBoyz View Post
I just placed the order.
Learn And Master Guitar came today. I didn't expect it til next week sometime. It actually got here faster than the guitar did. I watched the first lesson. Pretty basic, but that's ok. I'm going to go ahead and start at the beginning and work my way through.

Looking at the workbook, it looks like it's going to get me started very well playing. I'm excited!

Last edited by OiBoyz; 07-10-2009 at 03:31 PM.
OiBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #78
Not of this world

Theres different ways to play every chord. Once you learn how to move them up and down you will be amazed, as was I.
MyChainsAreGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #79
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyChainsAreGone View Post
Theres different ways to play every chord. Once you learn how to move them up and down you will be amazed, as was I.
Yes indeed, you were.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #80
blessed beyond reason

A couple more questions....

Guitar care. I have a pretty decent case (I think.) And the guitar lives in it when I'm not actually playing. I wash my hands before I play it. I keep a microfiber cloth in the case to buff out finger prints (can't have finger prints on my purty shiny new guitar) and a clean cotton washcloth that I use to wipe down the strings and neck etc when I'm done. Should I be doing anything else for maintenance? Also, I live in the high desert, and the hygrometer in my case says it's on the dry side. Do I need to do anything about that?

I need suggestions on a good metronome. I've been looking and they don't necessarily tell you if they beep or click. I don't want a beeping one.

I practiced for about 45 min yesterday, and I'm not dying, so I think my callouses are beginning to form. Yay!
Unread 07-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #81

You could just get an old-school pendulum metronome. Those would pretty much for sure click.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #82
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Looks like a very nice case.

I've been using one of these to clean my strings: 'The String Cleaner' 'Guitar String Cleaner' Cleans ALL Acoustic and Electric 'Guitar Strings'. Winner NAMM's Best In Show Award. By ToneGear and Dave Chiappetta Enterprises.

Seems to work well. Better than just wiping them with a cloth.

Sounds like you probably need a humidifier. Living here in Florida, I've never had to worry about that, but maybe there's someone here who can make a suggestion. There are many humidifiers available to go in your case.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #83
blessed beyond reason

Apparently, I'm holding the guitar in a classical position, with the guitar resting on my left leg, the body of the guitar between my legs and the neck held fairly high. (This would make sense since the only lessons I've ever had were from a classical player.)

Will this hinder me on down the road if I don't learn to hold it with the body on my right leg? It feels weird to me, and it changes the angles of how I hold my fingers. Does it make a difference? Is it just a preference thing?
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiBoyz View Post
Apparently, I'm holding the guitar in a classical position, with the guitar resting on my left leg, the body of the guitar between my legs and the neck held fairly high. (This would make sense since the only lessons I've ever had were from a classical player.)

Will this hinder me on down the road if I don't learn to hold it with the body on my right leg? It feels weird to me, and it changes the angles of how I hold my fingers. Does it make a difference? Is it just a preference thing?
It won't ever hinder your playing. I taught myself, so for the first year I always played it on my right leg. Then when I found my teacher he taught me to play the guitar on my left leg with my left foot resting higher than the other (I used a phonebook). He's a classical guitar player who's also great at just about every style I can throw at him. He explained that by holding it on your left leg your have better access to the frets closest to the body of the guitar. And that's true. I still play on my right leg too, but on songs where I have to play above the 12th fret it's a little more difficult. Most of the time I don't even think about which leg to put it on, I'm fine with either. Just do it whichever way you find the most comfortable.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #85

I play standing up. I used to play sitting down, but then I found a couple issues when I stood up for worship or performances. First, my wrist/arm angles were all messed up so I was uncomfortable and worse at playing. Second, after a good 2 hours my shoulder was pretty much dead from holding the weight. Also I found when I did a lot of string bending sitting down I was pushing the guitar into my chest, which would hurt after a while.

So I just started standing all the time and all those problems were solved. Cause now I can make it through a 4 hour practise easily. I also realized after I switched that I like to pace whenever I'm learning anything or focusing on something. So playing standing up I can move around as much as I want.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. - Stephen Hawking
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #86

I practiced standing up until I was used to it. Playing standing up was weird at first, back when I was a beginner. The sooner you learn it to stand up and be comfortable the better. I've noticed that string bending is easier standing up, you can really shake the neck for some really good vibrato too.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 05:36 AM   #87
Semper ubi sub ubi!

When sitting, I hold my classical guitar in the classical, left leg position, but I hold my steel string acoustic on the right leg.

The steel string guitar's neck is longer than the classical's. If I try to hold the steel string on the left leg, the reach to the first few frets is too long.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #88
blessed beyond reason

I thought it was never gonna happen. I've got visible callouses on my fingertips! I'm not quite past being sore after I've been playing, but it's within sight. I think I'm making progress. I'm enjoying practicing with the DVD lessons. It gives me direction I wouldn't have had on my own.

Ordered a metronome and some other guitar doodads today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player View Post
I've been using one of these to clean my strings: 'The String Cleaner' 'Guitar String Cleaner' Cleans ALL Acoustic and Electric 'Guitar Strings'. Winner NAMM's Best In Show Award. By ToneGear and Dave Chiappetta Enterprises.

Seems to work well. Better than just wiping them with a cloth.

Sounds like you probably need a humidifier. Living here in Florida, I've never had to worry about that, but maybe there's someone here who can make a suggestion. There are many humidifiers available to go in your case.
Yes, one of the things I ordered was the string cleaner thingy you recommended and a humidifier. Thanks for the help.
Unread 07-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #89
blessed beyond reason

Watching this video at newsongcafe.

What are they doing with their thumbs on the fret hand? (Mac Powell is a lefty?) I like this song a lot.
Unread 07-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #90

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
They're using their thumb to fret the low E string.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote