Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #31
Hey ya'll, watch this!

The "Guitar Fretboard Workbook" will do wonders for you. Patiently work through it and you'll see results.

jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiBoyz View Post
I can work by myself fairly well. But I'm wondering about learning bad habits (such as the fact that I've been playing F wrong, apparently.)
You weren't playing it wrong, you just weren't playing the entire chord. I played F that way too for a while until I had the strength for barre chords. As far as bad habits go, what is a bad habit and what isn't can differ from teacher to teacher. Some teachers don't care and they let you play however you want, which can be a bad thing if you're playing solos with only your pointer finger or something. And on the other hand, there are teachers that totally obsess over it and want you to play a certain way that is their idea of perfection. Both extremes aren't good. A good teacher, like the one I have had for the past two years will only correct you if your technique interferes with what you're playing and will show you ways to correct it.

If you follow what's in the book, and ask questions here if you're confused about anything I don't think that you'll develop any bad habits that can't be reversed fairly easily in the future.
Quote:
I was at a standstill when I stopped playing five years ago. It's why I stopped playing, out of frustration. But it's been a few years, so I anticipate needing to get up to speed to where I was, which was pretty much being able to chord/strum along to the few songs I wanted to sing for myself. And the occasional attempting to lead worship at church.
I played off and on for several years before I finally determined that I was going to teach myself and get better, which seems to be what you're doing now. I was self taught for a year, and when I hit another standstill when it seemed like I had gone as far as I could go on my own I found my teacher. A long time ago when I first got my guitar I had another teacher, who didn't want to teach me what I wanted to learn. That was very frustrating for me, and one of the reasons I didn't stick with it early on. I wanted to learn Audio Adrenaline songs (which are actually very good for starting out on) not Elvis songs. One of the good things about teaching yourself is that you teach yourself what you want to learn. Although my teacher now has introduced me to several different kinds of music that I didn't like before but really enjoy now. So sometimes learning what you don't want to at first is a good thing.
Quote:
I'm thinking I might be able to find a decent music teacher, but I just don't know if there's a good guitar teacher here. It's a very small town.
How close are you to a major city (or a bigger town)?

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #33
blessed beyond reason

Quote:
How close are you to a ... bigger town)?
100+ miles.

Quote:
A long time ago when I first got my guitar I had another teacher, who didn't want to teach me what I wanted to learn. That was very frustrating for me, and one of the reasons I didn't stick with it early on.
Yeah. Years ago, I wanted to learn piano. I even bought one. Had a hard time finding someone who wanted to teach adults, and the one I did find didn't even own a piano. I would practice all week on my piano, then go to her house and try to make the transition to her crappy keyboard and she thought I wasn't practicing because I was fumbling so much. Her keyboard's keys were significantly smaller than a real piano, and it wasn't the full 88, and didn't feel at all like my piano. I put up with her for about a month when I decided she was a huge waste of time and money. I found another teacher who was good, but the drive to her place was about 45 min each way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
As for tuning just go online find a tuner and by ear that will bring you close enough. from there relative tune by holding at the fifth fret the 3 lowest strings and the 2 highest strings. and at the forth fret the 4th string (from low bass to high treble). Once you are in the ball park you can use your onboard tuner to get the final touch.
Ohhh, thanks. Good idea. I think I can get "close enough." lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
The "Guitar Fretboard Workbook" will do wonders for you. Patiently work through it and you'll see results.
Is this it? I actually was looking at that when I bought my guitar and wondered if it was useful, or too far above me.

I've been wondering if it would be worth it to invest in something like this.

Last edited by thesteve; 06-18-2009 at 02:55 PM.
OiBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #34
Bring it, foo'

Quote:
I've been wondering if it would be worth it to invest in something like this.
Oh, how I've been waiting for someone to bring LaMG up. That's how I'm learning, and I simply cannot recommend it highly enough. I've been using it for around six months or so, and I already know all of the basic chords, how to read music, and the foundations of music theory, after absolutely no musical instruction in the past at all. It's expensive but worth every penny.
Unread 06-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
blessed beyond reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
You were not playing a f chord wrong, there are many ways to hit an F chord. One book or chord diagram just used a different version then what you remember. As for tuning just go online find a tuner and by ear that will bring you close enough. from there relative tune by holding at the fifth fret the 3 lowest strings and the 2 highest strings. and at the forth fret the 4th string (from low bass to high treble). Once you are in the ball park you can use your onboard tuner to get the final touch.

I think I'm close. It's not perfect, I don't think, but it's not making my ears bleed anymore.

Quote:
Oh, how I've been waiting for someone to bring LaMG up. That's how I'm learning, and I simply cannot recommend it highly enough. I've been using it for around six months or so, and I already know all of the basic chords, how to read music, and the foundations of music theory, after absolutely no musical instruction in the past at all. It's expensive but worth every penny.
I'm thinking I'd spend at least as much on lessons, and this is something I could refer to whenever I need too. I'm glad to hear you recommend it. Thanks.

Ow. Cramps. Definitely need to work on hand strength. But I'm remembering more than I thought I might.

Last edited by thesteve; 06-18-2009 at 02:55 PM.
OiBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #36

Quote:
100+ miles.
...Never mind then.

But if you find a good teacher then it's worth an hour's drive.

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
Unread 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #37
blessed beyond reason

Quote:
100+ miles.
Yeah, but it has it's trade offs...

Unread 06-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #38
Bring it, foo'

Ah... the wide open spaces. Looks like the setting of a few movies I know. Gorgeous.

Yeah, hand cramps are part of it. I still get them when I practice, especially the F family of full-on barre chords. But, yeah, the best thing is to remember than hand strength isn't going to come in a day, or even a week. It'll take time, and lots of practice, before you can just go at it without having visions of Carpal Tunnel dance in your head.
Unread 06-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #39

Wow, that's beautiful. I've never seen mountains in real life before. Everything here is swamp and prairie, with the piney woods up north between here and Dallas.

Unread 06-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #40
blessed beyond reason

My sister lives in Amarillo, but I've never been there.
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #41
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I love being a city boy.

i-5
skyline from the waterkids on pier
union pacificking street station

/shameless plug

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #42
blessed beyond reason

Those are nice. Are you in the Seattle area?

D'oh! I see the space needle. Nevermind.
Unread 06-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #43

Quote:
My sister lives in Amarillo, but I've never been there.
Me neither. I've never been that far north.

As you can probably tell, my family isn't one for long distance traveling.

Unread 06-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #44
blessed beyond reason

Hey, I've only been out of the state of Oregon a few times. So I'm not a big traveler either.

So, thanks for all your suggestions. I'm working on hand strength (I found a small ball that I'm carrying around and squeezing when I can) and building up my callouses. When playing is a little more comfortable, I'll start really working on chords.
Unread 06-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #45
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Learn some stretches and warm-ups for your hands. Stretching properly before you start playing or exercising will reduce the chance of injury. I've had problems with carpal tunnel for about 10 years now, both from guitar playing and computer work. If you develop a problem there, you'll be sidelined for months. Be careful.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote