Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think on a scale to 1-10?
1 6 40.00%
2 3 20.00%
3 3 20.00%
4 2 13.33%
5 3 20.00%
6 1 6.67%
7 1 6.67%
8 1 6.67%
9 2 13.33%
10 1 6.67%
cave 3 20.00%
Sorry we did not believe you 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to SOTC1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
And I also want to know what you guys think (if there is a way I can get better)
Quote:
I am not saying I am better then anyone I am saying I can write my own songs but I canít play others they might not be good in your eyes they might down right suck but they are mine and if they suck i dont care making music is all i need even if it sucks i love ot hear my songs

Quote:
To me it is not about playing right it is about playing what I want to play

I'm really confused.

Do you want to get better or don't you?

Also, from the vid you posted I couldn't really see your hand but I'll stick with my first assumption that it's a mechanical problem.

SOTC1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #32
Overlord of Kentls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Avalanche View Post
Some people that write great music listen to lots of different great music.

Start there.
Oh trust me I do I love music so no prob there
i love deomn hunter, amy grant and a lot more
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #33

Well, for one thing you could get better if you spent less time posting and more time playing...

I wasn't going to toot my own horn, but here I go. I was writing and arranging songs before I could play guitar (on keyboard). When I had been playing for six months I joined a band and we wrote an original song that was actually pretty good considering most of the band members had been playing for two years or less. When I had been playing for about a year I joined an all adult praise and worship band as stand in lead guitarist playing both original songs and other people's. You can't have one or the other, you've got to do both. There is nothing wrong with playing cover songs. For goodness sake, Hendrix played covers, SRV played lots of covers, and Eric Clapton plays cover songs to this day! If those three don't have a problem with playing songs other people wrote in addition to their own, none of us should.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #34
Guitars are cool

Quote:
Oh trust me I do I love music so no prob there
i love deomn hunter, amy grant and a lot more
OK. The two genres you listed are Metal and Pop.

How about Jazz? Classical? Funk? Polka? Bulgarian wedding music? Gregorian chant? Indian Sitar Raga?

Listen to anything in those genres?
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #35
Overlord of Kentls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTC1987 View Post
[/B]

I'm really confused.

Do you want to get better or don't you?

Also, from the vid you posted I couldn't really see your hand but I'll stick with my first assumption that it's a mechanical problem.
Okay I wont be on for three days I am leaving in five minuets (campeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) when come back I will post another okay?
and i do but i also dont care if i do i can live with havin this as my best i whold not mind being beter
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #36

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Okay I can not sing at all trust me I donít sing okay?
I will sing when no one is around
The point wasn't to judge whether or not you are a good singer, but that hearing you sing the song will give us a better sense of where the song is going because it will have an accompanying melody. One of the issues I had with the songs you posted originally is that there is no rhythm section so I had trouble distinguishing where the song was going. In your first video there are some notes that definitely sounded out of key. If there was an accompanying melody, then maybe I wouldn't think they were bad notes, just intentional dissonance. Melody gives us a glimpse of timing and will help us get an idea of where you are trying to go, even if all it means is you humming out the melody instead of singing it.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #37
Overlord of Kentls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Avalanche View Post
OK. The two genres you listed are Metal and Pop.

How about Jazz? Classical? Funk? Polka? Bulgarian wedding music? Gregorian chant? Indian Sitar Raga?

Listen to anything in those genres?
Umm I don’t know I don’t put songs in genre form after the cores I gave up
I have always said this I will always hit play to anything with a guitar in it
Bulgarian wedding music there is a leeseon in gutair word about it
Jazz? Classical? Funk? Polka? i amsume i have on these

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
The point wasn't to judge whether or not you are a good singer, but that hearing you sing the song will give us a better sense of where the song is going because it will have an accompanying melody. One of the issues I had with the songs you posted originally is that there is no rhythm section so I had trouble distinguishing where the song was going. In your first video there are some notes that definitely sounded out of key. If there was an accompanying melody, then maybe I wouldn't think they were bad notes, just intentional dissonance. Melody gives us a glimpse of timing and will help us get an idea of where you are trying to go, even if all it means is you humming out the melody instead of singing it.
I know but you don’t get it I get sick when singing I get so scared
kind of sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioAUnderdog View Post
Well, for one thing you could get better if you spent less time posting and more time playing...

I wasn't going to toot my own horn, but here I go. I was writing and arranging songs before I could play guitar (on keyboard). When I had been playing for six months I joined a band and we wrote an original song that was actually pretty good considering most of the band members had been playing for two years or less. When I had been playing for about a year I joined an all adult praise and worship band as stand in lead guitarist playing both original songs and other people's. You can't have one or the other, you've got to do both. There is nothing wrong with playing cover songs. For goodness sake, Hendrix played covers, SRV played lots of covers, and Eric Clapton plays cover songs to this day! If those three don't have a problem with playing songs other people wrote in addition to their own, none of us should.
i think every one on here dose what I do play the guitar when we are online
and it is not that i dont want to play other songs the fact that i have tried this song so much shows i do want to but i also know i dont have to Also I am starting to hate the song
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Kentl; 06-12-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: miss a part
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #38
Guitars are cool

Quote:
Umm I don’t know I don’t put songs in genre form after the cores I gave up
Alright, fine.

Do what you want to do. If you're not willing to even attempt to pay attention and learn something from the countless amounts of good advice you've been given by everyone that has responded to your threads, then I'm not even going to attempt to help you.

Until you learn what I would wager all of us have had to learn at some point in time, that our way of writing "songs" and learning the guitar, without giving any credence to other methods of learning and writing is flat out ignorant and actually holds our ability in chains and does nothing to push us forward.

Regardless of your talent or giftedness level in certain areas, you can't just simply refuse to learn (which is what you are doing by coming up with all of your excuses). The best songwriters I know studied the crap out of their favorite artists and figured out how and why they used certain chords, rhythms, melody note choices, orchestrations, and so on. I don't see you doing anything close to that.

Bad practice will always lead to bad ability.

My apologies if that's insulting to you, but I have to say it.

I've stayed out of your threads almost entirely until now, and now I'm taking my leave once again.

Good luck to you. I hope you learn whatever it is you're trying to learn one day.
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #39
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

I'm confused as to what the purpose of this thread is. I'm also confused as to what you're trying to get at.

If you're happy playing in your bedroom, doing what you're doing, then great. I have no problem with that at all. Different people enjoy music in different ways. If that's the case, then I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, unless it's just you want to share what you're doing.

If you're not satisfied with what you're doing now, and want to improve your skill level, then you really need to go back and read what these guys are telling you here. We have some really good players here (I am not one of them by advanced standards), some are even teachers. They can't help you though if you're not open to their advice.

As far as timing goes, I'm not sure if you need a metronome or if you just need to get more proficient at switching between the chords. I know I had to spend hours before I got comfortable enough switching between chords that it didn't effect my timing.

It seems to me that you're looking more for a pat on the back and for someone to say, "Oh yeah, you're right you write great songs!". If that's it, I don't think you'll get it here at this time.

I'm also not sure if you're into instrumental music or trying to write songs with lyrics. If it's instrumental music, I think you have a long way to go. If you're wanting to write songs with lyrics and use the guitar just to accompany it in a simple manner, then you don't have to be as advanced of a guitarist. You'd still need to get better with your timing though, and perhaps bring in a more advanced guitarist to play with you if you're doing the band thing and want to make more interesting music.

I think it's great to come up with your own songs. However, I would never tell you to JUST do that and not try to learn from others. I feel the same way about that, whether you're looking to be an advanced guitarist or a songwriter who uses guitar for simple backing and doesn't care to be an advanced player.
I fall into the simple category when it comes to guitar, but even so I have learned a lot from learning other peoples' songs. Example: I just learned a song recently that I like and it lead to me coming up with a chord progression I hadn't previously played around with. There is always a benefit to studying the work of other musicians.
Once again though, if you're happy with what you're doing now, then so be it.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying a person can't be an advanced player and a good songwriter/lyricist.

You really have to decide what you want from this, and what you're trying to achieve.
Unread 06-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Umm I donít know I donít put songs in genre form after the cores I gave up
It doesn't have to any guitar in it at all to learn something from it. Personally, I get a lot out of listening to sax players. You can play with similar phrasing on guitar. Sometimes it can be very good to listen to music with no guitars in it.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #41
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Kentl, you are very confused about what you want and it's frustrating to the people who are trying to help you. You bemoan your inability to learn other people's songs, and when we try to offer you help you respond by writing,

"I know I wont make it big probably and to be honest I could play in my room the rest of my life and die happy
To me it is not about playing right it is about playing what I want to play"

Well, fine. If that's your attitude, go play in your room and stop asking for help.

I get the impression that you're very insecure, and what you'd really like is for us to listen to your playing and respond by saying something like, "Wow, dude! That's fantastic! You've only been playing 3 years? You must have an amazing gift."

Well, if I gave you a response like that, it'd be very dishonest and not really in your best interest. The truth is that your playing is not impressive for 3 years of effort. Had you spent 6 months seriously working at your playing, perhaps using an instructor, learning some of the basics of musical theory and pounding the basics into your fingers, you'd be playing better.

You wrote, "look to me no mater what these songs are going to be good "

Okay, but don't expect others to share your opinion and don't get upset when they don't.

You seem to have an inflated opinion of yourself, as when you write, "do you know any one that can write songs like this in three years?" In reality, though, I suspect you have a low opinion of yourself and are trying to compensate.

And I hate to burst your bubble, but YES. I've known several players who could write songs like this after only a few months of playing. The songs are simply nothing great.

Your attitude is getting in the way of your learning. For example, several of us listened to your video clips and commented that your timing needs work. I suggested a metronome and gave you a web link, and other forum members made other suggestions. How did your respond to this? "So I have problems with timing but I do make songs and as for being bad how do you know I don’t use a weird timing? Instead of 4\4?"

Obviously you don't understand what time signatures are or how they work. "Jesus Love Me" is written in 4/4, and you were obviously playing it in 4/4. Regardless of time signature, however, the beat should be steady, constant, and even. It doesn't matter one whit whether you're in 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, 12/8, or whatever: you must maintain a steady beat.

You are not playing with a steady beat. Rather than accepting and trying our suggestions, or even respectfully disagreeing, you make an inane excuse that demonstrates lack of knowledge and understanding.

My suggestion to you is that you work on your attitude before you worry about your playing. Your present attitude is an insurmountable barrier to any musical advancement.

You believe that you have a gift from God. Is this any way for you to treat a gift from Him?

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #42
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
I am not saying I am better then anyone I am saying I can write my own songs but I can’t play others they might not be good in your eyes they might down right suck but they are mine and if they suck i dont care making music is all i need even if it sucks i love ot hear my songs

One good thing about my band is I am the only one with any experience so I am the best in my band
I know I wont make it big probably and to be honest I could play in my room the rest of my life and die happy
To me it is not about playing right it is about playing what I want to play
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl in other thread.
i bey anything if we where to post our own songs mine whold beat yours
just becuse i cant play others songs dose not mean i cant play gutair and make me a n00b at it threes years is not a n00b and i bet in my three years i have played more then you have you whole life
See any inconsistencies here? Also, IIRC, you said that to gtrdave, who has literally been playing since probably a DECADE or TWO before you were even born.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Last edited by Ax; 06-13-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #43
Enginerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player View Post
Kentl, you are very confused about what you want and it's frustrating to the people who are trying to help you. You bemoan your inability to learn other people's songs, and when we try to offer you help you respond by writing,

"I know I wont make it big probably and to be honest I could play in my room the rest of my life and die happy

Well, fine. If that's your attitude, go play in your room and stop asking for help.

I get the impression that you're very insecure, and what you'd really like is for us to listen to your playing and respond by saying something like, "Wow, dude! That's fantastic! You've only been playing 3 years? You must have an amazing gift."

Well, if I gave you a response like that, it'd be very dishonest and not really in your best interest. The truth is that your playing is not impressive for 3 years of effort. Had you spent 6 months seriously working at your playing, perhaps using an instructor, learning some of the basics of musical theory and pounding the basics into your fingers, you'd be playing better.

Okay, but don't expect others to share your opinion and don't get upset when they don't.

You seem to have an inflated opinion of yourself, as when you write, "do you know any one that can write songs like this in three years?" In reality, though, I suspect you have a low opinion of yourself and are trying to compensate.

And I hate to burst your bubble, but YES. I've known several players who could write songs like this after only a few months of playing. The songs are simply nothing great.

Your attitude is getting in the way of your learning. For example, several of us listened to your video clips and commented that your timing needs work. I suggested a metronome and gave you a web link, and other forum members made other suggestions. How did your respond to this? "So I have problems with timing but I do make songs and as for being bad how do you know I donít use a weird timing? Instead of 4\4?"

Obviously you don't understand what time signatures are or how they work. "Jesus Love Me" is written in 4/4, and you were obviously playing it in 4/4. Regardless of time signature, however, the beat should be steady, constant, and even. It doesn't matter one whit whether you're in 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, 12/8, or whatever: you must maintain a steady beat.

You are not playing with a steady beat. Rather than accepting and trying our suggestions, or even respectfully disagreeing, you make an inane excuse that demonstrates lack of knowledge and understanding.

My suggestion to you is that you work on your attitude before you worry about your playing. Your present attitude is an insurmountable barrier to any musical advancement.

You believe that you have a gift from God. Is this any way for you to treat a gift from Him?
+1

guitarman531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player View Post

Your attitude is getting in the way of your learning. For example, several of us listened to your video clips and commented that your timing needs work. I suggested a metronome and gave you a web link, and other forum members made other suggestions. How did your respond to this? "So I have problems with timing but I do make songs and as for being bad how do you know I don’t use a weird timing? Instead of 4\4?"

Exactly. But I hate to say it, I seriously doubt he'll listen to this. Kentl has an amazing talent to shut down every single suggestion you give him, even if it means totally contradicting himself and saying ridiculous things.

The way I see it Kentl, you're determined to come on here and whine to everyone about how bad you suck and how it's so unfair because you've been playing so long, but you really don't want any advice. You want people to either tell you that you don't suck and that you're really good, or you want a big pity party. Cause you obviously don't want advice even though you've asked for it repeatedly.

You posted a bunch of threads saying "I suck, help me". People helped you. They told you you need to buckle down and work hard. You said you "can't" work hard on guitar, but later you said in pm to me "look i pratice all day not songs becuse after two hours or so it gets dumb
the poin is i have almost no freinds now becuse of gutair (i whold just not hang out with them)". If you're willing to practice all day long and LOSE FRIENDS over this, but you're not willing to put some hard work in, you're either lying about the all day long thing or just so full of yourself that you refuse to practice anything but what you want, which will get you NOWHERE.

Now you've given up on getting advice because I think you realized people aren't going to just sit around and pity you. They're going to tell you to do things you may not like because that's what you have to do.

So now you're trying to show us you're actually good. I don't know what you're trying to prove because you just spent like 2 weeks trying to prove that you suck beyond belief.

I'm sorry if I'm being pretty harsh, but I'm kinda fed up with this attitude of yours. Either listen to people when you ask for advice or don't ask for it in the first place.
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #45
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I would like to make a suggestion Shawn. Pick up Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method. If you really study it and work through it, you will learn. It teaches time signatures, reading music, basic theory you need to be able to be a good guitarist, simple songs, and technique. Seriously, try it. Almost all the greats have used it as well as MANY forum members.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote