Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #1

Does anybody else notice this?

A lot of people sing way too low for their natural voice... especially at church... I've noticed that I my voice is getting to the point that I can hit most stuff pretty well, but most of the that I have to sing with other (less experienced musicians) are just TOO low!! (not where it's too low to sing, but the tones coming out of my voice are not what I would like compared to other keys) and it seems like I need to sing harmony to hit the range I like best... But I notice their voices are coming out with lower tones too and they're are not singing in the key where they can give an ample amount of air and get their best tone...

This is just annoying because I know that it's not the best of keys for them.

For example: a lot of people sing in lower keys because they don't add enough air at their true key and it comes out bad.
It's just annoying!

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Overlord of Kentls

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC7rock View Post
A lot of people sing way too low for their natural voice... especially at church... I've noticed that I my voice is getting to the point that I can hit most stuff pretty well, but most of the that I have to sing with other (less experienced musicians) are just TOO low!! (not where it's too low to sing, but the tones coming out of my voice are not what I would like compared to other keys) and it seems like I need to sing harmony to hit the range I like best... But I notice their voices are coming out with lower tones too and they're are not singing in the key where they can give an ample amount of air and get their best tone...

For example: a lot of people sing in lower keys because they don't add enough air at their true key and it comes out bad.
It's just annoying!
Its because we donít know how to sing I bet you had a teacher right?
Well most donít that is why
and so what? at church you should not care how the others sound
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
Why not? If you're a member of the worship team, you should absolutely be concerned about how all of the performers are sounding.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Overlord of Kentls

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Mullet View Post
Why not? If you're a member of the worship team, you should absolutely be concerned about how all of the performers are sounding.
Not at my church We can walk up there and sing if we want to (on mater how bad we sing)
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Not at my church We can walk up there and sing if we want to (on mater how bad we sing)
yeah, in the worship band my brother plays in the pastor is the lead singer and his voice isn't bad, but it's probably not what most people would call great. and the keyboardist sings with a weird, maybe supposed to be johnny cash kind of thing. but who cares? God doesn't care what our voices sound like as long as our hearts are worshiping. and if He doesn't care i don't think it matters. of course, it would be great if everybody could sing every song perfectly...
how can i be the same? how can i take the blame? how come i am so tired of all these charades? how can i be the one? how can i hold the gun? how can i see if everyone else is to blame? we point the finger, think everyone else is to blame! everyone else is to blame!
fflscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
maybe, but not to the point of unnecessary criticism.
how can i be the same? how can i take the blame? how come i am so tired of all these charades? how can i be the one? how can i hold the gun? how can i see if everyone else is to blame? we point the finger, think everyone else is to blame! everyone else is to blame!
fflscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to SOTC1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC7rock View Post

It's just annoying!
How do you find your "true key"? I have no where close to a great singing voice but it gets me by.
SOTC1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Overlord of Kentls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTC1987 View Post
How do you find your "true key"? I have no where close to a great singing voice but it gets me by.
My voice is somewhere between a banish and a screech monkey
yet i get yp there and sing for my king
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Its because we don’t know how to sing I bet you had a teacher right?
Well most don’t that is why
No, I did not have a teacher... I gave myself vocal training (picked up some tips here and there)... mainly it's getting rid of bad habits and proper, but what I'm talking about is when I've had to work with other musicians, some of which have played for 30 years and have had training.

Quote:
I'm helping out several worship teams, and am going to train some future members... I care about the other singers there and I want to help them do their best, but I have noticed that a common mistake is starting way too low... all I'm asking is if anyone else who is experienced has spotted this too... It's a common mistake and just slightly changing the arrangement and proper breathing technique could fix it. It can mean the difference between a bad job singing or an amazing one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTC1987 View Post
You have to experiment a lot... This is a little songwriting tid-bit here. Each song may be in a certain key (tonality) but the melody line may be set in different actual notes that fit within that key, so it can differ from song to song, for example I find that most songs are best for me in a D - Eb (truthfully I can sing well mostly anywhere between A - E on most songs) but sometimes I can songs that are in Ab or F are comfortable, or sometimes even the key that I hate the most... G. But it all depends on the song. Truthfully you have to experiment with each song because once you break it down you can find your favorite set of notes, but at the same time you need to know the higher you go the more important proper breathing is. If you have proper breathing down a whole new range opens up and the old range starts to sound better.

*side tip* if anything feels forced (resistance, or you holding your volume back on higher notes) or if something starts to hurt, you're most likely doing something wrong.

Last edited by LC7rock; 05-26-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Unread 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
The People's

For those who are leading worship, the intent is to lead worship. This means singing in a key that best fits the congregation, not necessarily the singer.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
For those who are leading worship, the intent is to lead worship. This means singing in a key that best fits the congregation, not necessarily the singer.
In the case of where I've been at... it has been more what was easiest for the acoustic guitarist to play, not to sing. Truthfully everyone else at the church has had trouble with the keys they've sung in too, a lot of them have trouble singing with the main group because of the whole key thing... also some of the songs were meant originally for more choral singing and those are the ones you have to transpose the biggest difference.

Unread 05-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #12

At my old Church, we had the opposite problem. People sang in keys that were too high for their natural voice, and for the rest of the congregation. At my Church now, and in my band, they actually have it about right.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
Chris Tomlin definitely does not do that.
joshua.lee.90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.lee.90 View Post
Chris Tomlin definitely does not do that.
Well, but he records worship music, on the recording it should be what is best for the person who is doing vocals...

Unread 06-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
blessed beyond reason

Quote:
I have a bit of a problem with that. I don't think that people should be kept off the worship team if they don't have great voices. I've been to churches where you have to audition for the worship team, and I think that's wrong. But just walking up "Hey, I wanna sing today." I don't think so. I think if you're on the worship team, that means that the time you spend preparing your instrument/vocals AND your spirit are part of the worship. If you don't have the time to practice, pray and prepare, then stay in the congregation and sing there.

Leading worship is a high and holy calling and shouldn't be taken lightly.