Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #16

I agree with you OiBoyz...

While having the best voice in the world shouldn't be the big concern, preperation is a must.

Alot of mega churches that are in the "business" to entertatian would certainly require auditions... to each thier own i suppose...

3rdCrossBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.lee.90 View Post
Chris Tomlin definitely does not do that.
Actually he does try to customize his concerts for the congregation... For example... If he's playing for a group of mostly women he lowers the key... If it's mostly guys he bumps it up a bit.

Chris Tomlin has a pretty high voice for a male singer to start out with so I think he does a pretty good job at what he does!! Think about Todd Agnew... He has a very low voice for a male singer. If you try to sing with him when he's leading worship it can be tricky sometimes.

A couple things you have to remember...

Lets just say you have a male singer and he's going to play Open the Eyes of My Heart in the key E... If it feels comfortable to him (and he has a typical male range) almost 75% of other males will be comfortable singing in that same key.

You're in pretty good shape! Right?? But now you have to remember all the females in the congregation... Most women (with a typical female range almost 80% of women) would feel more comfortable with the song down 2 whole steps (playing Open the Eyes of My Heart in the key of C).

Another thing to remember is that men have an easier time than women singing in high keys. So, if your a worship leader you might what to keep that in mind.

And remember... You can't please everyone so don't let it get to you if people don't support you. Remember what you're doing... And who you're doing it for!!!

Hope this helps!!
Blessings, Broadcaster
Psalm 33:3
Broadcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdCrossBand View Post
I agree with you OiBoyz...

While having the best voice in the world shouldn't be the big concern, preperation is a must.

Alot of mega churches that are in the "business" to entertatian would certainly require auditions... to each thier own i suppose...
Well I'm just talking each person should try to prepare or learn about their own voice. Figuring out how things work helps you learn how become a better musician!

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #19

Up until 5 years ago, it seemed that i was loosing my deep voice cos most of the songs were in higher keys. this had mainly to do with the larger female congregation and the songs at that time.
now we have some more male driven songs (including some where i go up the octave).

I definitely agree that those on stage need to have a basic understanding and skill in singing/playing in order to lead worship which won't be distracting away from the majesty of God.
GavFav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #20
not so bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiBoyz View Post
I have a bit of a problem with that. I don't think that people should be kept off the worship team if they don't have great voices. I've been to churches where you have to audition for the worship team, and I think that's wrong. But just walking up "Hey, I wanna sing today." I don't think so. I think if you're on the worship team, that means that the time you spend preparing your instrument/vocals AND your spirit are part of the worship. If you don't have the time to practice, pray and prepare, then stay in the congregation and sing there.

Leading worship is a high and holy calling and shouldn't be taken lightly.
I audition people that want to be a part of the worship team in a sense. I think that’s the best way to find where a person stands musically. If someone wants to be a part of our church’s worship team they don’t have to be the best but they do have to be able to carry a tune. If they have no concept of pitch, timing, or presence I feel that would be a MAJOR distraction to put a mic in their hand. What other way would I find out the abilities of someone who would want to sing.

I also screen people who want to sing specials in our church.

Their ability has to be VERY BAD for me to turn them away for a special, but I hold the singers on the platform to a much higher standard.

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote