Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Michael_rev's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2008
Location: No Longer a User
Posts: 357
You better go to church or you will go to HELL!!!

if you dont attend church regularly are you destined for hell? I know church is healthy and important and i pray often and praise god on everyday of the week but is not going to a church a sin?

http://www.helium.com/items/516797-g...s-it-mandatory

Michael_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
While I don't believe church is mandatory, the article you linked to is simply childish in its handling of the subject.

Not attending church regularly will not destine you for hell, nor do I believe that a lack of attendance is a sin. However I do think that church fills a very useful and important role in the Christian life. The church allows for a set time of fellowship (as we are told not to forsake in Hebrews 10:25-26) and gives us an opportunity to learn from the Bible from a teacher (the pastor) who is called to be a speaker of God's Word.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Dr. Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 15,300
paid
I doubt Paul was regularly in a church, or had regular attendance, since a lot of his time was spent traveling and evangelizing to Gentile polytheists. So, are these people saying Paul and the other early apostles were destined for hell? That seems a bit far fetched.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
You were brilliant!
 
WorshipJesus's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
While I don't believe church is mandatory, the article you linked to is simply childish in its handling of the subject.

Not attending church regularly will not destine you for hell, nor do I believe that a lack of attendance is a sin. However I do think that church fills a very useful and important role in the Christian life. The church allows for a set time of fellowship (as we are told not to forsake in Hebrews 10:25-26) and gives us an opportunity to learn from the Bible from a teacher (the pastor) who is called to be a speaker of God's Word.
Agreed!

John 11:25- Jesus said to her, I am the Resurrection and the Life! He who believes in Me, though he die, yet he shall live.

Acts 16:31- Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.

Romans 10:9-13- because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

__________________
Beards are classy. Have class. Grow a beard.
WorshipJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
I doubt Paul was regularly in a church, or had regular attendance, since a lot of his time was spent traveling and evangelizing to Gentile polytheists. So, are these people saying Paul and the other early apostles were destined for hell? That seems a bit far fetched.
FWIW, Paul was called to be a missionary. He wasn't regularly in a church because he was regularly starting churches. I don't feel like it's really fair to use Paul and other church planters as examples. They were clearly called to serve a different purpose than the common Christian.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Dr. Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 15,300
paid
Likewise, not all Christians are called to be in Church every sunday and wednesday. I don't see how that doesn't apply. If Paul was called to do that, and others are STILL called to do that, then they aren't sinning by not going to church and having a less than healthy attendance schedule.

I didn't read the article, so maybe what I am saying does not apply, but declaring something is sinful can be dangerous because a lot of times it depends on the context and motive.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
Likewise, not all Christians are called to be in Church every sunday and wednesday. I don't see how that doesn't apply. If Paul was called to do that, and others are STILL called to do that, then they aren't sinning by not going to church and having a less than healthy attendance schedule.

I didn't read the article, so maybe what I am saying does not apply, but declaring something is sinful can be dangerous because a lot of times it depends on the context and motive.
Perhaps I'm looking that this differently than you are. I don't feel like the context of "non-church goers" really applies to people who are active in ministries that involve them not being at the same church week after week.

When I read "don't attend church regularly", I tend to think of people who claim to be Christians and are often jokingly called "CEO Christians" because they attend on Christmas, Easter and Other special occasions. Clearly Paul and those like him today are called to be active in ministries that prevent them from being at the same church on a regular basis. I just have trouble believing that there are people who are called to not regularly gather with other believers, but instead are called to sit on their couches, watch tv and keep a Bible on the coffee table that they might read every now and then.

While I still don't believe not attending a church of some sort regularly is a sin, I have found most non-attenders excuses to be severely lacking.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Michael_rev's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2008
Location: No Longer a User
Posts: 357
when i went to the churches of christ i didnt go for two sundays, so i could spend time with my father who never gets days off of work. Then someone at that church sat me aside and said that i needed to put God first and never miss church. He said i was sinning and should put God before my family and not spend time with them. What are your thoughts?
Michael_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_rev View Post
when i went to the churches of christ i didnt go for two sundays, so i could spend time with my father who never gets days off of work. Then someone at that church sat me aside and said that i needed to put God first and never miss church. He said i was sinning and should put God before my family and not spend time with them. What are your thoughts?
I don't see a problem with spending time with your family instead of going to church. I definitely think it's possible to put church ahead of family, and I think that there are definitely cases where when people put church in front of family they are also putting church in front of God.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Overlord of Kentls
 
Kentl's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,877
what he said
cuse thnk about it god is our 'father' which is family
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
You were brilliant!
 
WorshipJesus's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_rev View Post
when i went to the churches of christ i didnt go for two sundays, so i could spend time with my father who never gets days off of work. Then someone at that church sat me aside and said that i needed to put God first and never miss church. He said i was sinning and should put God before my family and not spend time with them. What are your thoughts?
Order of Operations...
1. God
2. Marriage
3. Family
4. Ministry/Church
__________________
Beards are classy. Have class. Grow a beard.
WorshipJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Dr. Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 15,300
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Perhaps I'm looking that this differently than you are. I don't feel like the context of "non-church goers" really applies to people who are active in ministries that involve them not being at the same church week after week.

When I read "don't attend church regularly", I tend to think of people who claim to be Christians and are often jokingly called "CEO Christians" because they attend on Christmas, Easter and Other special occasions. Clearly Paul and those like him today are called to be active in ministries that prevent them from being at the same church on a regular basis. I just have trouble believing that there are people who are called to not regularly gather with other believers, but instead are called to sit on their couches, watch tv and keep a Bible on the coffee table that they might read every now and then.

While I still don't believe not attending a church of some sort regularly is a sin, I have found most non-attenders excuses to be severely lacking.
Yeah, I think we pretty much agree. I was assuming (though, like I pointed out I didn't read the article) that they are saying that missing a Sunday every once in a while means you are sinning or something.

I Agree about the "CEO" Christians. I think it is important to be actively involved in some sort of Christian community and when you claim to be in the community and never partake or are involved you are neglecting a very important part of what God calls us to be.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Sojourner
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Just Passing Through
Posts: 58,354
It's true...you will go to hell.

Sorry.

__________________
Leboman Reviews Stuff
Through A Glass Darkly
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
stop looking at me.
 
fenderguy962's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2009
Location: The CPF
Posts: 417
Send a message via AIM to fenderguy962 Send a message via Yahoo to fenderguy962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_rev View Post
when i went to the churches of christ i didnt go for two sundays, so i could spend time with my father who never gets days off of work. Then someone at that church sat me aside and said that i needed to put God first and never miss church. He said i was sinning and should put God before my family and not spend time with them. What are your thoughts?

I deffinately don't think that not going to church for 2 weeks is a sin, or not going for any amount of time for that matter. I haven't gone to church regularly in over 5 years, and although I do think that it is a good thing to go to church, I don't think that if I don't go I will go to hell, or that I am sinning in any way. Sometimes I used to go to church with my grandma if i was at her house and the oppurtunity came, but then every time I went they kept saying that it was a sin that I wasn't going there regularly. So I started avoiding going there at all costs.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not against church in any way at all, and I don't avoid church as a whole because I don't like that one. It's just that that is the only church I have the option of going to right now, and since I don't like that church (which is a whole different subject) , I don't go.
fenderguy962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
Moderator
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 23,754
Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Others have mentioned this, but I think we need to be real clear on this. Not all excuses for skipping church are equal. So we need to be real clear on exactly what situation we're dealing with.

1) Someone skips a couple of Sundays for good or bad reasons
2) Someone doesn't go to church because they don't like any local churches
3) Someone doesn't go to church because the local churches are awful
4) Someone doesn't attend one church because they're a missionary
5) Someone who just has bad church attendance for no particular reason
6) Someone who doesn't attend church due to extreme circumstances (health, no churches)
6) CEO Christian - Only attend for Christmas, Easter, and other special occasions

When some people skip church they are blatantly forsaking the assembly of believers, and they are in sin. Others are missing church in service of God. So making blanket statements is probably not the best idea.
__________________
FIND ME ONLINE

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2