Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #61
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folk_guy View Post
I'm not saying that Church going, and interacting with other Chirstions isn't an important part of our faith journey, I also agree that by not participating with other Christians in worship we are neglecting a directive from Christ. I would encourage any believer to become an active part of a Church body. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's necessary for salvation. In the case of my Grandfather who was very much a shut in. Going to Church for him, would have been very difficult for him.
Cool, I hear ya. I hope you didn't take my post as contentious!

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #62
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:

if I can figure out how to make that work in my sig, then you, my sir, will be the first person I have ever quoted in my sig!

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #63
Wow you're sheltered

I will answer in Latin - "Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus."
Unread 05-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #64
Wow you're sheltered

But seriously - as other posters have said better than I: The church is where God reveals himself in a special way to us in word and sacrament, we are commanded by God to "not forsake meeting together as some others have", and God promises to dwell in our praises and meet with us when we are gathered in his name.

Why the hell would one not want to be there? I think that the there is a fundamental idolatry of one's own "freedom" and a devaluation of the Word (both its commands and application) at work for those who refuse to take part in that weekly as commanded.

And yes, in most cases it would be symptomatic of a sinful attitude and sin itself.
Unread 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #65
A simple guy

I think the church has taken on such a structure that has characteristics which defeat some of the elements of what "a church" really is supposed to be. At least for my generation. Meeting in a building away from "normal life", at a time set apart from when "real life" happens, with a majority of people who are not necessarily committed to the specific body (or involved in serving it), to hear someone talk about something that rarely holds relevance to the majority (or at least in the way it is presented), to sing along with projected words, to "draw closer" to God through somehow just listening to the passion of the preacher or feeling the emotion of the music; just doesn't seem like what Christ had in mind to create (a) community.

So, yes I agree that the Church is a basic spiritual need for all believers, but I disagree with churches whose structure defeats the causes of community and people that say the Church must meet a specific form or structure.
Adam K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #66
Admιnιstrator

Will I go to hell if I buy luxury replica watches?
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #67
D'oh!

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
Will I go to hell if I buy luxury replica watches?
No, because Jesus paid the price for your replica watch.

Exactly 29.99.

The tree of Eden once caused bitterness,
But the Tree of the Cross made sweetness of life to blossom!
In tasting the first, Adam fell into to corruption,
But as we eat the Body of Christ we are given life and mystically deified,
Receiving God's eternal Kingdom.
Therefore we cry out in faith:
Glory to Your suffering, Lord!

- from the service of Wednesday Matins

Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #68

paid
I realize this thread is dead. I am posting anyway because there is a lot of good and a lot of interesting comments in the thread. Plus, the way it is going is like CPF and we can divert its path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K View Post
I think the church has taken on such a structure that has characteristics which defeat some of the elements of what "a church" really is supposed to be. At least for my generation. Meeting in a building away from "normal life", at a time set apart from when "real life" happens, with a majority of people who are not necessarily committed to the specific body (or involved in serving it), to hear someone talk about something that rarely holds relevance to the majority (or at least in the way it is presented), to sing along with projected words, to "draw closer" to God through somehow just listening to the passion of the preacher or feeling the emotion of the music; just doesn't seem like what Christ had in mind to create (a) community.

So, yes I agree that the Church is a basic spiritual need for all believers, but I disagree with churches whose structure defeats the causes of community and people that say the Church must meet a specific form or structure.
I understand this view, but can I just say this is the most bleak depiction of formal worship?

The church service described is set up as opposed to "real life", but I don't know what a church that focuses on "real life" would look like without preaching or singing songs with effective guidance.

But I lament that your pastor does not preach Scripture with application and sensitivity to the audience. For if the pastor is doing just that, then he's doing his work faithfully and as a congregant you are to apply it.

Likewise I lament that your "hymns, psalms, and spiritual songs" are mere words on a screen without life, creed, emotion, or worship. For if the worship songs include the content of your confession, express your emotional state before God, and lift God's name with praise and adoration, then those songs are not merely words on a screen.

Lastly, I lament that your congregation is not wholly devoted to the local body's activity. This side of glory we should always be expecting to see those serving to be a minority of the church; as congregants grow they should serve more, thereby increasing the capacity of the church to serve more people. This side of glory we will never see a local body wholly devoted without exception. To honest, though, I think someone who regards songs as mere words projected on a screen and someone who regards preaching as a source of passion and not life-giving gospel is such a person who isn't committed to the local body either. (Hypocrisy?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
I will answer in Latin - "Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus."
I think all Baptists should rehearse this or its English equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
But seriously - as other posters have said better than I: The church is where God reveals himself in a special way to us in word and sacrament, we are commanded by God to "not forsake meeting together as some others have", and God promises to dwell in our praises and meet with us when we are gathered in his name.

Why the hell would one not want to be there? I think that the there is a fundamental idolatry of one's own "freedom" and a devaluation of the Word (both its commands and application) at work for those who refuse to take part in that weekly as commanded.

And yes, in most cases it would be symptomatic of a sinful attitude and sin itself.
This is absolutely solid.

I also think of G.K. Beale's way of framing it, as a context where Christians can feel normal. We live in a disordered world which treats itself like it is normal and treats Christians like they are abnormal. The life of the church is the location where we experience a deep conviction and vibrant reminder that following obediently in God's way, holding onto God's promises in Christ, and devotion to eternal matters is normal and proper for our nature. The resurrection life that is held out and cherished in the church is a picture what humans are supposed to be like. Here, you get a glimpse of home for which we long. To someone who lives in "real life," the church is a breath of fresh air and a comfort largely by contrast.
Unread 11-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #69
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_rev View Post
when i went to the churches of christ i didnt go for two sundays, so i could spend time with my father who never gets days off of work. Then someone at that church sat me aside and said that i needed to put God first and never miss church. He said i was sinning and should put God before my family and not spend time with them. What are your thoughts?
I think that guy is an idiot.
Unread 11-25-2017, 02:57 AM   #70

It depends on how you define "Going to Church"

Fellowship & Community are very important things in a Christian's life--they provide encouragement, accountability, opportunities to serve & be served.

I miss it when I am not able to attend (Sickness, travel--that sort of thing)
That said I also have other fellowship outside of Sundays--which is also important.

Is it a sin to miss?
That depends on your attitude about it & why you missed.

Will that sin send you to hell?
Not on its own--that's not quite how the gospel works.