Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #46
Registered User
 

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,026
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
We are all members of one body, and we need each other.

The body is interdependent on its parts. My brain cant act as hands, nor can my brain pump blood to the rest of my body, my heart cant oxygenate the blood it pumps, nor can it filter out CO2 from my system, my hands cant think for me, and they cant pump blood.

Thats why humans have multiple parts that perform different tasks necessary for the body as a whole.

As the church we are one unit, and without one another we are incomplete, and less efficient and lesser equiped for our mission when our parts are either not functioning as one unit, or are missing all together.
If the point is communication, why is being cryptic acceptable? See Gay Science, book 3 §173.

__________________
I'm gone.
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #47
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Dr. Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 15,401
paid
Gay Science?
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #48
Lieutenant Commander
 
slap_j's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: the U.S.
Posts: 21,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
Gay Science?
"Die fröhliche Wissenschaft" - Nietzsche.
__________________

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #49
This Mortal Frame..
 
Demon_Hunter's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 9,376
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
If the point is communication, why is being cryptic acceptable? See Gay Science, book 3 §173.



I dont think I have that book on hand...

Mind quoting it for me?
__________________
"Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers" - How Deep the Fathers Love for Us


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #50
balaamsass
 

Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Ft Bragg, Ca
Posts: 94
The welcome mat says I should go somewhere else, creeds and all sorry
balaamsass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #51
Registered User
 

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 353
Being involved with a church body is definately a good thing, and helps me in my faith journey, but I know from first hand experience that it isn't mandatory. My Grandfather who had to retire early because of complications with diabetis never went to church, but read his Bible and prayed daily, and I'm sure wasn't destined to go to hell because he didn't participate in or belong to a larger church body. I'm not saying that being part of a church wouldn't have strenghtend his faith, or made him a stronger follower of Christ, but I am saying that his lack of church going didn't condemn him to eternal damnation.
Folk_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #52
Registered User
 

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,026
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
I dont think I have that book on hand...

Mind quoting it for me?
http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~thurston/nietzsche.pdf
§173
Being profound and seeming profound.— Those who know that they are
profound strive for clarity; those who would like to seem profound to the
crowd strive for obscurity. For the crowd believes that if it cannot see to
the bottom of something it must be profound: it is so timid and dislikes
going into the water.
__________________
I'm gone.
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #53
Lieutenant Commander
 
slap_j's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: the U.S.
Posts: 21,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~thurston/nietzsche.pdf
§173
Being profound and seeming profound.— Those who know that they are
profound strive for clarity; those who would like to seem profound to the
crowd strive for obscurity. For the crowd believes that if it cannot see to
the bottom of something it must be profound: it is so timid and dislikes
going into the water.
Guess that's why people ***** about Derrida.
__________________

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #54
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Dr. Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 15,401
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folk_guy View Post
Being involved with a church body is definately a good thing, and helps me in my faith journey, but I know from first hand experience that it isn't mandatory. My Grandfather who had to retire early because of complications with diabetis never went to church, but read his Bible and prayed daily, and I'm sure wasn't destined to go to hell because he didn't participate in or belong to a larger church body. I'm not saying that being part of a church wouldn't have strenghtend his faith, or made him a stronger follower of Christ, but I am saying that his lack of church going didn't condemn him to eternal damnation.
Does someone who never followed out in baptism go to hell if they "accepted Christ"? No, but they disobeyed a commandment from Christ.
Though many "Christians" may not go to church, they are still neglecting a vital part of being a Christian.

Name a follower of Christ who did not participate in a church like community in the NT, or even in early Christian history. I don't think you could name many.
I think being a Christian carries with it an almost mandatory call to regularly interact with other believers. Neglecting this is neglecting an essential part of Christ-likeness. I think your grandfather may have missed out on a lot of things, as do all believers who neglect partaking in community.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #55
This Mortal Frame..
 
Demon_Hunter's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 9,376
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~thurston/nietzsche.pdf
§173
Being profound and seeming profound.— Those who know that they are
profound strive for clarity; those who would like to seem profound to the
crowd strive for obscurity. For the crowd believes that if it cannot see to
the bottom of something it must be profound: it is so timid and dislikes
going into the water.



Im guess the author then believes that Jesus was only seeming to be profound?

Afterall, it is written by atleast 2 of the gospel writers (John for sure, and I think Matthew and Luke both mention it) that "he taught them with parables, and without a parable he did not teach them that 'Hearing they may not hear, and seeing they may not understand" (or some such thing)."

This is in no way relevant to the thread, but its still interesting to look at.

*edit*

I should clarify.

I dislike vaguery (a few times going through the different gospels I find myself going "Dude, just say what you mean!" when Im reading some of Jesus more... obscured parables.

At the same time... I dont know. I think some of the object lessons he taught wouldnt have had near the power they did without the parables he used. Mostly because he got the Pharisees to condemn themselves with their own responses to the parables.

_________________

To go along with what Thrash said, looking at the NT its difficult to find an example of a strong believer, whose faith and endurance in the way are recognized, who did not actively fellowship with other believers or participate in a gathering of some kind.

You may not go to hell for it, but you definately are missing out on what appears to be a major blessing.
__________________
"Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers" - How Deep the Fathers Love for Us


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.

Last edited by Demon_Hunter; 05-01-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #56
Registered User
 

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,026
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Im guess the author then believes that Jesus was only seeming to be profound?
Heh, ironically I don't think he felt that way about Jesus. Nietzsche had some odd/interesting ideas about power and confidence (Jesus being a good example), and about morality (I guess another good example). But I really wouldn't know: It's Nietzsche after all.

Quote:
Afterall, it is written by atleast 2 of the gospel writers (John for sure, and I think Matthew and Luke both mention it) that "he taught them with parables, and without a parable he did not teach them that 'Hearing they may not hear, and seeing they may not understand" (or some such thing)."
That's true; Had I lived in the time of Christ (yet somehow still maintaining my worldview and understanding) I might have been frustrated with Jesus, to be honest.

Quote:
*edit*

I should clarify.

I dislike vaguery (a few times going through the different gospels I find myself going "Dude, just say what you mean!" when Im reading some of Jesus more... obscured parables.

At the same time... I dont know. I think some of the object lessons he taught wouldnt have had near the power they did without the parables he used. Mostly because he got the Pharisees to condemn themselves with their own responses to the parables.
I think Jesus had a point to his speaking in parables: it requires only those who are interested to dig deeper. People can reject things just as easily as they understand it; and are slow to reject something just as slowly as they understand it. (though not necessarily the case: people reject things they don't understand often)
__________________
I'm gone.
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #57
Registered User
 

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
Does someone who never followed out in baptism go to hell if they "accepted Christ"? No, but they disobeyed a commandment from Christ.
Though many "Christians" may not go to church, they are still neglecting a vital part of being a Christian.

Name a follower of Christ who did not participate in a church like community in the NT, or even in early Christian history. I don't think you could name many.
I think being a Christian carries with it an almost mandatory call to regularly interact with other believers. Neglecting this is neglecting an essential part of Christ-likeness. I think your grandfather may have missed out on a lot of things, as do all believers who neglect partaking in community.
I'm not saying that Church going, and interacting with other Chirstions isn't an important part of our faith journey, I also agree that by not participating with other Christians in worship we are neglecting a directive from Christ. I would encourage any believer to become an active part of a Church body. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's necessary for salvation. In the case of my Grandfather who was very much a shut in. Going to Church for him, would have been very difficult for him.
Folk_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #58
To Be
 

Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Flagstaff Az.
Posts: 6
Baptism

Yo Thrash, Remember the thief or killer, whatever he was, that was on the cross next to Christ? I mean the one who realized and Believed in Christ? Jesus told him, "Today you will be with me in heaven" !! This guy never got baptized! I know God wants us to die to self and rise again as a new creature which is the ultimate reasoning for baptism. This is what you should do, in submission if you get the chance. Thats my thoughts, peace out
King Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #59
This Mortal Frame..
 
Demon_Hunter's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 9,376
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
__________________
"Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers" - How Deep the Fathers Love for Us


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #60
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Dr. Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 15,401
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Edward View Post
Yo Thrash, Remember the thief or killer, whatever he was, that was on the cross next to Christ? I mean the one who realized and Believed in Christ? Jesus told him, "Today you will be with me in heaven" !! This guy never got baptized! I know God wants us to die to self and rise again as a new creature which is the ultimate reasoning for baptism. This is what you should do, in submission if you get the chance. Thats my thoughts, peace out
Wassup bro! Yeah, I hear ya, but the thief did not get the chance did he? He was on a cross. He wasn;t able to obey that particular command.

Furthermore, I believe Christ told the disciples to go out and baptize in his name AFTER this particular theif was dead and after he himself had arisen as the firstfruits.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2