Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #31
Overlord of Kentls

the mother of her freind did
she said this in front of us all

" why do you let her wear that? god dose not like that
anything to do with god ladys wear drees pants and anything eles is a sin and she will go to hell"

now we make a joke about it and say
shawna you are going to hell

and i put a period thanks for telling me

Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #32
Taster of Pork!

Quote:
It's important in my mind, however, that you meet with Christians other than just your close circle of friends. It's important to be exposed to other views on certain theological concepts so that you are challenged and encouraged to a deeper understanding of God.
Quote:
Exactly.

In a way, this site can, though superficially, contribute to that. I ahve learned a lot since I have been here. I have also seen many point of views here that I both agree and disagree with and it has expanded my horizon quite a bit!
I agree with both of these. Before I started going to this site, I've always thought that any other point of view different from mine, would be a threat to me. But after staying on this site and learning about what other people believe and rexamining what I claimed to believe[i.e. End Times, Creflo Dollar, Homosexuality, legalism, etc], I've changed my mind and started learning about other opinions so I can form my own opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #33
Fabulous!

paid
Send a message via Yahoo to Bryan Send a message via Skype™ to Bryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_rev View Post
but im not saying that we dont need each other. I just dont think we have to go to church to be together. people in china meet up at each others home and worship god in that way. Is that wrong? of course not. Church is importznt and healthy but not nesseccary. Meeting together is according to the bible, nesseccary.
the point isn't church. the point is the community of believers and being dependent on that community to help you get through life. If you and a group of other believers are getting together on a regular basis, having a bible study, praying together, worshipping together, giving together, serving the community together, then I would say you are NOT forsaking the gathering of believers. I still think that a church is important because it generally helps to guard against bad interpretation and going down the path of false doctrine.
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #34

i agree. I think it is important. So many churches of today started because people practiced at their homes and met up with each other and all shared common views. Eventually those views were strong enough that they started their own church and thats why we have thousands if not millions of "non-denominational" churches and other denominations. Not to say its incorrect to do that but i get what you are saying. I just dont like concert style churches like CCV. And i like the catholic churches becuase they are more serious in my opinion but its pretty boring at times. Not that worshipping God is boring but it seems like they drag service on intentionally so it can be exactly long enough. I love worshipping God in my own way just like every one else does, and it can be hard to find a church that you not only agree with but like alot.
Michael_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #35
Laborer/Philosopher

Quote:
I am doing this thread to prove that you dont have to worship in a mountain or in a temple becuase God doesnt dwell in and building made of mans hands,
You're alluding to John 4, where Jesus tells the woman at the well that the time will come when instead of worshiping in Samaria and Jerusalem we will worship in the Spirit and in the Truth. This is not a text that pits the 'physical' against the 'spiritual.' Instead, Jesus is saying that the division between Jew and Gentile is erased with the coming of the Spirit and the Truth (who is Jesus throughout John's Gospel). For this reason, the New Testament takes the language once used of mountains and temples and applies it directly to the church.

For instance, Hebrews says, "you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven." The Church is the mountain, and it is Jerusalem. And notice, of course, that Hebrews, like the rest of the New Testament, assumes that Christians will be in groups. We are a "city," not an island. We are in "assembly," not solitary.

Hebrews 12:18-24
18 You have not come to a mountain that can be touched and that is burning with fire; to darkness, gloom and storm; 19 to a trumpet blast or to such a voice speaking words that those who heard it begged that no further word be spoken to them, 20 because they could not bear what was commanded: "If even an animal touches the mountain, it must be stoned." 21 The sight was so terrifying that Moses said, "I am trembling with fear." 22 But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, 23 to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the judge of all men, to the spirits of righteous men made perfect, 24 to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

Quote:
he dwells in each and every one of us and if we were on an island all by ourselves we would worship God in our own way.
If we're truly and fully human all alone then we cannot be made in the image of the triune God. The New Testament cannot speak about or address the church without sacraments and officers; these are things that are irreducibly what the church is.

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #36

i understand. I just dont think someone should feel like they committed a serious sin when they miss church. I dont think you should miss church regularly but i think its ok to miss once in a while.
Michael_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #37
balaamsass

Church is not a building

The word church is the body, an organic living thing, not a building or gathering place. How long can the brain live without the heart?
balaamsass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #38

paid
And that's relevant to this discussion... how?
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #39
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by balaamsass View Post
The word church is the body, an organic living thing, not a building or gathering place. How long can the brain live without the heart?
Theoretically a brain could live without the heart. Some sort of procedure would have to be done in which the brain is supplied with oxygen rich blood, but it could be done.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #40
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
And that's relevant to this discussion... how?

We are all members of one body, and we need each other.

The body is interdependent on its parts. My brain cant act as hands, nor can my brain pump blood to the rest of my body, my heart cant oxygenate the blood it pumps, nor can it filter out CO2 from my system, my hands cant think for me, and they cant pump blood.

Thats why humans have multiple parts that perform different tasks necessary for the body as a whole.

As the church we are one unit, and without one another we are incomplete, and less efficient and lesser equiped for our mission when our parts are either not functioning as one unit, or are missing all together.

Thrash, you know what point he was trying to make. And just because alot of his other posts contain things we both disagree with, atleast this one got something right. Why tear down his point when its a good one supported by scripture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #41
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Thrash, you know what point he was trying to make. And just because alot of his other posts contain things we both disagree with, atleast this one got something right. Why tear down his point when its a good one supported by scripture?
True that, but that point has already been made earlier in the thread, though in a different wording. i don't think anyone is arguing or (hopefully not) thinking that a church is nothing more than a building. A church is a "community"(as has already been said in this thread), "body", or whatever terminology you wish to use, not a brick building with ornate tapestries and pews and altars, etc...

But, I do recant my earlier statement. It was a joke, and although this is not cpf, I could find HUNDREDS of other examples on threads in this forum where members besides me have said ridiculous things which are obviously just done out of a fu attitude for no other reason but the break the monotony of dialoging, harangues, heated discussions, etc.... or just for plain fun.
So, forgive my joke if it was crude, offensive, mean, cruel or angry, but otherwise , just ignore it and go on. Though, if I hurt anyone's feelings, I sincerely apologize.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #42
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
True that, but that point has already been made earlier in the thread, though in a different wording. i don't think anyone is arguing or (hopefully not) thinking that a church is nothing more than a building. A church is a "community"(as has already been said in this thread), "body", or whatever terminology you wish to use, not a brick building with ornate tapestries and pews and altars, etc...

But, I do recant my earlier statement. It was a joke, and although this is not cpf, I could find HUNDREDS of other examples on threads in this forum where members besides me have said ridiculous things which are obviously just done out of a fu attitude for no other reason but the break the monotony of dialoging, harangues, heated discussions, etc.... or just for plain fun.
So, forgive my joke if it was crude, offensive, mean, cruel or angry, but otherwise , just ignore it and go on. Though, if I hurt anyone's feelings, I sincerely apologize.

No, you're ok. I overreacted, and I apologize.

Sorry for going on the attack there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #43
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
We all do it sometimes, especially me! no worries!

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #44
balaamsass

badly burned

I spent 9 days in UC Davis burn ward with 40% of my skin missing, I still have lots of scars and do not treat the importance of my skin lighty anymore. I came very close to dying and had some great epiphenies. Every member of your body is important to you and you will miss them when they are gone. So sure, avoid fellowship and accountability and the body is missing parts.
balaamsass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #45
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by balaamsass View Post
I spent 9 days in UC Davis burn ward with 40% of my skin missing, I still have lots of scars and do not treat the importance of my skin lighty anymore. I came very close to dying and had some great epiphenies. Every member of your body is important to you and you will miss them when they are gone. So sure, avoid fellowship and accountability and the body is missing parts.
agreed. Avoiding fellowship and accountability are extremely dangerous!

-groucho marx

Quote: