Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
Micah 6:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

When some people skip church they are blatantly forsaking the assembly of believers, and they are in sin. Others are missing church in service of God. So making blanket statements is probably not the best idea.
I don't think you can really say that because someone does not attend church they are forsaking the assembly of believers. Believers assemble in all sorts of places, I don't see that it has to be in a church building. In addition, I am not sure I would say that in many churches what you have is an assembly of believers, sometimes you may have an assembly of "religious" people, but that may not mean they are truly believers.

KFBobInsanesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
Overlord of Kentls

^ what he said
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFBobInsanesMom View Post
I don't think you can really say that because someone does not attend church they are forsaking the assembly of believers. Believers assemble in all sorts of places, I don't see that it has to be in a church building.
I don't really see how my post implied otherwise. Is your point that under no circumstances missing church is forsaking the assembly of believers?

The entire point of my post was that we need to be clear on under what circumstances someone is not attending church. You respond to a sentence of mine which spoke of "some people" as if I were making a sweeping generalization.

Quote:
In addition, I am not sure I would say that in many churches what you have is an assembly of believers, sometimes you may have an assembly of "religious" people, but that may not mean they are truly believers.
I'm not sure how anything I said would be opposed to this. I even included in my list a an example where all local churches are awful.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #19
Fabulous!

paid
Send a message via Yahoo to Bryan Send a message via Skype™ to Bryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_rev View Post
when i went to the churches of christ i didnt go for two sundays, so i could spend time with my father who never gets days off of work. Then someone at that church sat me aside and said that i needed to put God first and never miss church. He said i was sinning and should put God before my family and not spend time with them. What are your thoughts?
i think that person is a legalistic ******* and needs to go to church to feel good about him/herself.

and going to church every Sunday doesn't alway equate with putting God first.
Unread 03-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
Living the Good Life

But neither does going to church make you a Christian....<--as in professing believer

Woohoo it is my blog
I don't need an Arcade, CPF is my Arcade
doulos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #21
Laborer/Philosopher

Quote:
if you dont attend church regularly are you destined for hell? I know church is healthy and important and i pray often and praise god on everyday of the week but is not going to a church a sin?

http://www.helium.com/items/516797-g...s-it-mandatory
What that person has written sounds like a mix of convenience and disillusionment. It's easy just to spend time with yourself and a couple of other people you already like, sure. And apparently this person isn't so keen on singing ten repetitive pop songs and listening to an overlong lecture from somebody who has almost no idea what he's doing. Okay, I can accept that. But what if, on the one hand, Jesus challenges you to be joined together with other people who are different from you? And what if, on the other hand, church has never had to look like ten pop songs and a mediocre lecture, and we just make it look like that because we're (wrongly) convinced that that's what is relevant?

If I miss a day of work because of something particularly exceptional, nobody will stop saying that that is my office. You can say the same of your presence in church -- missing today because of something exceptional doesn't mean you're not part of the church. But if you are not part of the church then you are not part of the body of Christ, and if you are not joined to Christ then you simply are not a Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
I doubt Paul was regularly in a church, or had regular attendance, since a lot of his time was spent traveling and evangelizing to Gentile polytheists.
That's not a particularly fair representation of his work. In Acts, he always starts in the synagogues, wherever he goes -- God's houses. And, more importantly, almost every one of his letters is written to a church (or group of churches), so clearly he was pastoring and founding churches as the cornerstone of his work.

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #22

Every time i go to church i go alone, sometimes with friends, but usually by myself. I go to learn andto worship God. Its not fair to judge the reasons people goto church. Im not a bumper sticker christian http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=281092668 (this is notmy profile, instead a blog of my friends.)

I am doing this thread to prove that you dont have to worship in a mountain or in a temple becuase God doesnt dwell in and building made of mans hands, he dwells in each and every one of us and if we were on an island all by ourselves we would worship God in our own way. We should all read our bible from time to time. Strive to be and example of jesus. Help others. And pray and give thanks for everything God does for us. It is very healthy to go to church, i am justing saying i dont think its neccessary. Im sure you all could agree.
Michael_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #23

Quote:
I am doing this thread to prove that you dont have to worship in a mountain or in a temple ...i am justing saying i dont think its neccessary.
I guess this is where I have a problem. When there's a thread where everyone is explaining why you don't need to go to church, it seems we're approaching the issue from the wrong perspective. It seems odd we're trying to prove you don't need to go to church.

Quote:
Im sure you all could agree.
It depends on how you define "necessary." It's not necessary in the sense that you have to do it or you'll go to Hell. It's necessary in the sense that the Bible clearly teaches (by example, implication, and dictation) that we need one another.

Unread 03-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #24

but im not saying that we dont need each other. I just dont think we have to go to church to be together. people in china meet up at each others home and worship god in that way. Is that wrong? of course not. Church is importznt and healthy but not nesseccary. Meeting together is according to the bible, nesseccary.
Michael_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #25
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
but im not saying that we dont need each other. I just dont think we have to go to church to be together. people in china meet up at each others home and worship god in that way. Is that wrong? of course not. Church is importznt and healthy but not nesseccary. Meeting together is according to the bible, nesseccary.
That is there "church" though. I think you are looking at the definiton of "church" from a limited perspective. A church is not a building (yes, cliche, but true).
Just look at the example of churches in Acts and other NT places. Are they orante buildings or temples or what not? Well, many Christians still attended synagogues and such, but for the most part they met in houses.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
That is there "church" though. I think you are looking at the definiton of "church" from a limited perspective. A church is not a building (yes, cliche, but true).
Just look at the example of churches in Acts and other NT places. Are they orante buildings or temples or what not? Well, many Christians still attended synagogues and such, but for the most part they met in houses.
Exactly!

I'm not arguing that people need to go to a church building. I'm saying we need "the church," the body of Christ, the fellowship of other saints. There is no such thing as the solo Christian with a personal faith.

Unread 03-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #27
The People's

Quote:
Meeting together according to the Bible is essentially church. The entire body of believers is the church; therefore, when you meet with other believers, you are meeting with the church.

It's important in my mind, however, that you meet with Christians other than just your close circle of friends. It's important to be exposed to other views on certain theological concepts so that you are challenged and encouraged to a deeper understanding of God.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #28
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Exactly.

In a way, this site can, though superficially, contribute to that. I ahve learned a lot since I have been here. I have also seen many point of views here that I both agree and disagree with and it has expanded my horizon quite a bit!

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #29
Overlord of Kentls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
It's important in my mind, however, that you meet with Christians other than just your close circle of friends. It's important to be exposed to other views on certain theological concepts so that you are challenged and encouraged to a deeper understanding of God.

this is something that hapeind to me

my youth group went to a rereat and we were having fun and hard rock adn all that
so we were going home
one of my freinds shawna was in her pj
when we went to eat. a freinds of her
came in and they were always told if grils dont wear dress to church and anything to do with god they go to hell
now thta scared me none of my freinds wear drees to
church i asked my pastor and he asked

it is the church of christ not
the church of (enter name) right?
so dose it mater what they said?
no that is their belives not yours
and i bet if you ask the kids they dont belive that

he was right
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
when we went to eat a freinds of her
It is totally wrong and unacceptable to eat your friends! Period! No exceptions!

Quote:
came in and they were always told if grils dont wear dress to church and anything to do with god they go to hell
Who said this? And did they actually say girls go to Hell if the don't wear a dress to church?