Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-26-2009, 03:20 AM   #1

Softball

I really really really really want to play softball!!! it looks really fun to me! and i love watching baseball! Does anyone else here play it? Could someone tell me a few more things about it?

maeroxursox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
I'm guessing you are talking about fast pitch?

I play adult league slow pitch, which is a really good time. I played baseball for years, and I just love being on the field.
Unread 03-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Overlord of Kentls

it is fun for me and i have played since i was 6
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Grit 'n Grind

I'm back to playing coed slowpitch, following a 3 year hiatus. I enjoy it, but I really hate pitching. I had a bad experience with it, twice.

Yet, at the moment, I'm the only person on the team who can pitch. You know the little league story of the outfielder who wants to pitch? Yeah, I'm the complete opposite of that.
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I've been playing co-ed slow pitch for awhile as well. There are definitely things about it that I enjoy, and I definitely love just being on the field, but I still don't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed playing baseball. Hopefully I'll soon have the time and resources to get myself off of the softball field and back into more competitive hardball.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #6

Sooo does anyone think that someone like me would be okay if i just like went right into like the middle of the season...and just started playing..but like i go practice and stuff lol but is that like a bad idea?
maeroxursox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeroxursox View Post
Sooo does anyone think that someone like me would be okay if i just like went right into like the middle of the season...and just started playing..but like i go practice and stuff lol but is that like a bad idea?
What kind of league are you trying to get into?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 03-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Call me Dusty Hill

Send a message via AIM to Iceman-bass14
I play on our churches mens and co-ed softball teams.It is fun and good to get out there and be competitive,but baseball was more exciting to me.I still enjoy softball though.
Somewhere, a defensive coordinator just burst into tears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
If someone asked me if I wanted to listen to Slayer or get kneed in the groin I would honestly have to think about it.
Iceman-bass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Administrator

Thought I'd hunt this down and bump it to the top...

Who's still playing? The church team I play 3-pitch with starts their playoff run this Saturday. I think we finished the season 6-5 which was good enough for the 4th seed in the league. I'm not really sure who our first opponent is. I definitely feel like we're a better team than our record shows when everyone shows and and plays well. Last weekend we won 8-2. We never really got the offense going, but we had a shutout until the last inning. I just hope our defense can stay hot in the playoffs.

For those of you still playing, what bat(s) are you using? All season the best bat my team has had is an old DeMarini Ultimate Weapon. This was DeMarini's top of the line metal bat from years ago. I get decent power with this bat, but nothing special. I have noticed that when I fill in for other teams and use newer, higher quality bats my power increases dramatically. I've had three or four ground-rule doubles this season and all of them have been with borrowed bats.

So I found a great deal on Craigslist and decided to chase it. Last night I dropped $150 on a DeMarini J2 ($300 new). The one I picked up is a bit lighter than I prefer (34/26 vs. 34/28), but for the price I had to jump on it. I'm really hoping this bat will help the guys on my team generate a little more power and put us over the edge as a whole for the playoffs. We've been perennial underachievers, going two and out two seasons in a row. I'd like to actually win a playoff game this year.

All this being said, I might be playing hardball this fall and depending on whether or not hardball and softball seasons run at the same time, this could be my last softball season for awhile. Part of me is sad about that, but I'm also really looking forward to the possibility of playing hardball again.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
So I found a great deal on Craigslist and decided to chase it. Last night I dropped $150 on a DeMarini J2 ($300 new). The one I picked up is a bit lighter than I prefer (34/26 vs. 34/28), but for the price I had to jump on it. I'm really hoping this bat will help the guys on my team generate a little more power and put us over the edge as a whole for the playoffs. We've been perennial underachievers, going two and out two seasons in a row. I'd like to actually win a playoff game this year.

All this being said, I might be playing hardball this fall and depending on whether or not hardball and softball seasons run at the same time, this could be my last softball season for awhile. Part of me is sad about that, but I'm also really looking forward to the possibility of playing hardball again.
I've played, but there is no comparison between softball and hardball. I still find softball enjoyable, but I think I would get actually depressed if I played softball all the time.

As for the bat, I find it hard to believe the bat creates that much of a difference. In hardball, a little more weight can help you drive the fly ball further but slows down your bat speed which usually results in less of a hard hit ball. Different bats can do crazy things to you mentally however and you might notice a difference that really is just a difference in confidence. This year in hardball I lost all confidence in a bat I hit .500 with last year and switched, and immediately started hitting the ball hard. DeMarini makes a good softball bat though and $150 isn't a bad price for a solid bat. 26 ounces is very light for a softball bat though, I would think it might be hard to generate any extra power with that light of a bat (although your overall hitting may well improve). I use a 28 or 29 ounce bat in hardball against the hardest throwers in my league(granted, still probably nothing like facing Joel Zumaya eh Steve? ).

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan123 View Post
I've played, but there is no comparison between softball and hardball. I still find softball enjoyable, but I think I would get actually depressed if I played softball all the time.
There's definitely a very different mental approach to it. If I approached rec league softball the way I approached competitive baseball I'd quit if my team mates didn't kick me off the team first.

Quote:
As for the bat, I find it hard to believe the bat creates that much of a difference. In hardball, a little more weight can help you drive the fly ball further but slows down your bat speed which usually results in less of a hard hit ball. Different bats can do crazy things to you mentally however and you might notice a difference that really is just a difference in confidence. This year in hardball I lost all confidence in a bat I hit .500 with last year and switched, and immediately started hitting the ball hard. DeMarini makes a good softball bat though and $150 isn't a bad price for a solid bat. 26 ounces is very light for a softball bat though, I would think it might be hard to generate any extra power with that light of a bat (although your overall hitting may well improve). I use a 28 or 29 ounce bat in hardball against the hardest throwers in my league(granted, still probably nothing like facing Joel Zumaya eh Steve? ).
I usually use a 34/28, but I've had success with a 34/26 in the past. I'm sure it'll be fine for now. 34/26 is the lightest slow-pitch bat that I've seen. Occasionally folks will show up with lighter bats but they're always fast pitch bats and I've never felt comfortable using them.

That being said, over the years I've seen huge differences in bat quality. Back when I was in high school, the difference between a CU31 alloy bat and a C405 alloy (th enext step up from CU31) were just staggering. This doesn't even take into account differences in bat balance. Back when I was working retail, I sold sporting goods. When Easton marketed it's Sc500 or SC777 bat lines (I can't recall which) at the time (the SC777 was top of the line) they guaranteed up to a 30% increase in distance or your money back. From my experience using different Easton bats in high school, this claim is very real. The thing you have to realize is that the increase in power is a percentage. So if you're hitting the ball 250ft, you should be able to max out at over 300ft. If you're hitting the ball 120ft, you're only going to see a 30ft increase in distance which is really negligible.

So yeah, you may think it's hype, but in my experience, the differences between bats is very real. Now there is certainly a mental component at play. When I was in Little League, the best bat on the team was a Louisville Slugger TPX bat that was a 30/19. I could never make the adjustment to the weight so I kept using a cheap 30/25 bat. Knowing what I know now, I always wonder how much more power I might have had as a kid if I could have made the adjustment. There's definitely a reason that the big bat companies (Easton, LS, Rawlings, Worth, DeMarini, etc.) offer bats that are $50 and bats that are $300. The difference isn't just mental. The materials used in the bats are definitely different and definitely change the performance of the bat.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Yes, the difference in bats is real, and huge. One of our teammates recently bought a new DeMarini, and the ball absolutely flies off that bat. It is very odd to hit with that bat after hitting with my own, which is a 5 or so year old Ultimate Weapon single wall.

Our league rules are pretty tight. Single wall only, no composite bats, etc. We also have this ridiculous equalizer rule, that is way harsher than any league I have played in. One home run is allowed, then, if the other team does not also hit one, subsequent homers are outs. We only have one guy with that kind of power, but he has the ability to put it over the fence three times a game.

Our playoffs are a week from Monday. We are two time defending champions. Are team is nearly entirely comprised of emergency responders. It is by chance, too. A few CHPs, a couple of a firefighters, and the rest medics and me. We have a lot of fun.

We barely squeaked in to the playoffs this year. We have a bye during the final week, but we will very likely be the 4th (last) seed. We have our good games and our terrible games. We seem to do quite well in the playoffs. I am really excited to see if we can make it 3 straight.

I use a lighter bat. 34/26. I can handle the 28 ouncer, but I do not hit for power these days, and 26 gives me just a little bit of an edge control wise. If I need to slow my bat down a bit (something I would never want in hardball), I switch to a teammates' 28.

I do want to play hardball again, but the hardball league here is no more.
Unread 08-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Yes, the difference in bats is real, and huge. One of our teammates recently bought a new DeMarini, and the ball absolutely flies off that bat. It is very odd to hit with that bat after hitting with my own, which is a 5 or so year old Ultimate Weapon single wall.

Our league rules are pretty tight. Single wall only, no composite bats, etc. We also have this ridiculous equalizer rule, that is way harsher than any league I have played in. One home run is allowed, then, if the other team does not also hit one, subsequent homers are outs. We only have one guy with that kind of power, but he has the ability to put it over the fence three times a game.
From what I've been reading, these sorts of rules are really common. In one league I was reading about locally you are allowed one HR per inning, even in the final "unlimited runs" inning.

Canada beat the US in this year's "Border War" game because of a similar rule. The USA hit a HR to pull within two runs. The next three batters hit HRs for outs because the rule is that a team cannot hit more than 10 HRs a game.

I don't know if my league has any rules on out of the park HRs. I've had a handful of in the park jobs this year, but I've only seen one out of the park HR this season.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
That being said, over the years I've seen huge differences in bat quality. Back when I was in high school, the difference between a CU31 alloy bat and a C405 alloy (th enext step up from CU31) were just staggering. This doesn't even take into account differences in bat balance. Back when I was working retail, I sold sporting goods. When Easton marketed it's Sc500 or SC777 bat lines (I can't recall which) at the time (the SC777 was top of the line) they guaranteed up to a 30% increase in distance or your money back. From my experience using different Easton bats in high school, this claim is very real. The thing you have to realize is that the increase in power is a percentage. So if you're hitting the ball 250ft, you should be able to max out at over 300ft. If you're hitting the ball 120ft, you're only going to see a 30ft increase in distance which is really negligible.

So yeah, you may think it's hype, but in my experience, the differences between bats is very real. Now there is certainly a mental component at play. When I was in Little League, the best bat on the team was a Louisville Slugger TPX bat that was a 30/19. I could never make the adjustment to the weight so I kept using a cheap 30/25 bat. Knowing what I know now, I always wonder how much more power I might have had as a kid if I could have made the adjustment. There's definitely a reason that the big bat companies (Easton, LS, Rawlings, Worth, DeMarini, etc.) offer bats that are $50 and bats that are $300. The difference isn't just mental. The materials used in the bats are definitely different and definitely change the performance of the bat.
Thinking about this a little more, I've never had a chance to use two bats drastically different in price range/expected performance. Mostly I've just switched between a few $150 bats - perhaps if I tried a true high-end bat I would notice the difference. In Canada, places where they sell true high-end bats are few and far between, and I've never had the opportunity.

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan123 View Post
Thinking about this a little more, I've never had a chance to use two bats drastically different in price range/expected performance. Mostly I've just switched between a few $150 bats - perhaps if I tried a true high-end bat I would notice the difference. In Canada, places where they sell true high-end bats are few and far between, and I've never had the opportunity.
If you get a chance, switch from a bat in the $150 range to a similarly weighted/balanced bat in the $50 range. It might feel similar (maybe even better), but I can almost guarantee a drop off in actual power.

By the way, my team played two games today and won both of them. In the second game my team (the 4th seed in the playoff bracket) sent the 2nd seed into the losers' bracket. We play either the 1st or 3rd seed next week to determine who goes into the semifinal bracket. I went 3-5 in the first game and 5-5 in the second with multiple in the park homers...I'm still missing that elusive out of the park shot. I feel like I'm just missing the ball, but the reality is that I might just not have the strength to do it.

The guys on my team really appreciated the bat pickup though. Up and down the lineup everyone was hitting with a lot more power.

I'm a podcaster

Last edited by thesteve; 09-03-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: sometimes you reread things two years later and realize you got the facts wrong...