Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #76
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
My team dropped the first game of our double header on Saturday. The team we played against is the same team we double-dipped in last season's playoffs. We had a lot of players show up for the games. In total we had three girls (the minimum to play without penalty) and (I think) 11 guys. Because of this our manager put a few of us on rotations (every other inning on defense, every other at-bat on offense).

Now, I don't have a problem with being part of a rotation or anything, but because our rotations were set up a bit frenetically they ended up really hurting us. We ended up alternating back and forth throughout the game from a strong OF one inning to a weak OF the next. On top of this, our offense never really found a groove in the game. When our HR hitters were up with runners on, they hit pop-ups or weak grounders instead of putting it over the short fence. In general we just hit a lot of pop-ups against a team with a strong OF and a weaker IF. I also had a pretty weak performance in the game, going 1-2 (because of the rotation) with a double and a long fly-out. I knew the manager of the team aligns his OF to play specifically against us (something a lot of teams don't do) and I let it get into my head and in general my swing just felt really tight. We ended up losing 18-9.

Before the second game we had a couple guys who did poorly in the first game volunteer to sit. This meant two fewer rotations going on. The team we played against was coming into the game 0-4. They were the team that we beat by forfeit the first week of the season and in regulation play in week three. I have no idea why we've been scheduled to play these guys so many times so early in the season.

As they showed up, I already started feeling a bit bad for them. A couple years ago they were one of the best teams in the league. Last season they were a very competitive team that you always had to be careful against. This season they're just not looking good at all. They started off by showing up late, which is a 1 run penalty per five minutes late, so we started the game with a 1-0 lead. Their team for Saturday consisted of five girls and five guys, one of which they borrowed from the team we played in the previous game. I have rarely seen teams be successful in 3-girl leagues when they had to play more than the minimum number of girls. I've played with women that were absolutely great at softball and put some of the men to shame, but in this church league women of this caliber are few and far between.

I think my team came into that game looking for blood (so to speak) after our previous loss. I know I loosened up a ton at the plate and really good some good loose swings on the ball. One of the balls I hit was a line drive shot past the RCF that ended up rolling to the RF fence (yes, that one that's like 390ft away. I think I finished that game with 3 in the park HRs and a double or two. The rest of the team got hot and we ended up winning 22-5.

We have a bye on the 18th followed by another double header on the 25th. On that day we will be playing the team that I mentioned in a previous post that has a bunch of power guys for our first game and the team we beat in our second week for the second game. One of my teammates and I stuck around to check out the "power guys" team on Saturday (they played after us) and we're both confident that if we come out and play well we should be able to beat them. They have a few guys that can definitely hit for power, but overall their defense looked questionable and it seemed like they have a lot of trouble stringing together hits. We watched one of their guys hit an accidental solo HR, and if they make that mistake against us, that might be the only HR of the game, because we'll do our best not to equalize.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #77
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
We had a good spring season. We ended up losing two games, the second and last of the season. We played the two teams who had beaten us in the playoffs.

We dominated the early part of the first game against the team we lost to in week two. Then... we just allowed everything. They ended up having a runner thrown out at third to end the game when they were down by two. He was way too aggressive. It was a really close play, but I had a great view, and he was out. They were the home team, and the winning run was at the plate.

In the late game, we played our nemesis. It was a close game, as it usually is. We went to extra innings when I tagged one of their runners out at the plate. It was a pretty sweet tag if I do say so myself. We ended up losing one inning later. There was actually some pretty bad blood in that game. A lot of their guys went up the box on our pitcher, one of them on purpose for sure. None said a word. Then, one of our guys got caught in between a slide and not at home plate, and plowed their catcher. It hurt the catcher's knee. We lost that one in the 8th.

Overall, I was .450-or so with a walk for the playoffs. Not good enough. In this league, I should be hitting .700.
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #78
Administrator

I intentionally am not keeping season numbers this year. I decided to just keep whatever I could remember in my head and not worry about stats.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #79
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I intentionally am not keeping season numbers this year. I decided to just keep whatever I could remember in my head and not worry about stats.
I try not to keep season stats at all. I can remember for a few weeks at a time no problem, but it just isn't important to me. Or, I don't want it to become important to me.
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #80
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Bear View Post
I try not to keep season stats at all. I can remember for a few weeks at a time no problem, but it just isn't important to me. Or, I don't want it to become important to me.
Yeah...it was fun the first couple seasons I did it. At this point I don't really feel like I'm benefiting from keeping stats so they've lost their importance completely.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #81
leafy greens!

I think I'm hitting about .600 now with some solid run-producing. I've found that being an aggressive (and smart) baserunner can really benefit the team, and I've always run well. I think I've found my best place of contribution by playing left field however. With the preponderance of right-handed hitters in this league, there are usually two or three plays for the left fielder every inning, and I'm making them. I still need to get a better jump on the ball however - I didn't take a direct line to one line drive in particular a week ago and had it bounce off the tip of my glove as I jumped back for it. There are a lot of slow older men in this league who try to take liberties with our catchers (who are usually one of the women on our team), and I can cut them down if they're not careful. When I'm not playing left field, I take over at short and it's definitely a challenge to throw out some of the guys when you have to go to your right for the ball. Overall I still feel like I'm learning a new sport sometimes, but the running catches and perfect sac flies more than make up for it.

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #82
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
One of my teams is out of the playoffs, and the other two are tied for first place. This season has been good for my fielding, I've started to feel a bit confident with my glove. My arm is finally doing what I tell it to. Part of the time at least. My bat has been extremely hit and miss. I've had games where I crush the ball into the gaps, and then the next night I can't hit it out of the infield. I think I need to hit the cages between seasons. I'm looking forward to resting up a bit after this season, and I think I will only play on one or two teams for summer.
Unread 07-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #83
Administrator

Another update. We dropped the first game of our double-header on 6/25 14-12, but dominated in the second game and won 22-10.

Unlike our last set of games, which I talked about previously, this week we were short players and ended up playing with just 9 for the first game. Unfortunately the position we thought we could skimp at was 1B because we wanted to preserve a strong OF. We ended up having an error prone first inning (including a couple drops at 1B) and found ourselves down 5-0. We played hard but just didn't have the personnel to make a full comeback. I think the team we lost to might be in sole possession of 1st now, though I'm not 100% sure of that. We might still be up a half game on them by virtue or just having played more games. I think they are 5-2 while we are 6-2, but they might be 5-1 (not really sure).

Before the second game started my dad showed up to watch me play and ended up joining us to fill our the lineup for the second game. The team we were playing is the team we beat by only a run in the second week of our season. He filled in a 1B (which was our weak spot) and did fine. He had an error early on because we have a lefty 3B and did didn't anticipate the tail on his throw and he had another error later (bobble) but he did a lot better than our mix of players at 1B in the first game. He also went 4-5 with three singles and a double. He took a courtesy runner every time (what would you expect from a 62...now 63 year old man), though he later told me that when he hit his double he wanted to score but took the courtesy runner because they were already halfway out to second. This time around we really handled this team. I think they scored 3 or 4 runs in the bottom of the seventh to bring it to 22-10. I ended up trying to work in some oppo after we were up by over 10. I ended up hitting a HR to straightaway center. It's nice to get one in, but it's also weird because I know the fence is short (though not as short as LF).

So we are 6-2 now with a middle/lower team coming up on the 9th. I hate to go into the game thinking, "easy team", but it's the same team we did a mixed scrimmage with the first week and that ended up ugly. It'll probably be another week where we try to get a big lead early then mix things up (like my going oppo on the 25th).

I'm a podcaster
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #84
DANGER ZONE!

Spring season is done. Went 4-6 on thursday nights, bottom of the league. 9-1 on Wednesday nights and got second place. Only team to beat us went 10-0 and we only played them once. No playoffs in that divisions. Tuesday nights went 8-2 regular season, 3-0 in the playoffs with a win tonight for the championship. Woo!
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #85
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bear View Post
Spring season is done. Went 4-6 on thursday nights, bottom of the league. 9-1 on Wednesday nights and got second place. Only team to beat us went 10-0 and we only played them once. No playoffs in that divisions. Tuesday nights went 8-2 regular season, 3-0 in the playoffs with a win tonight for the championship. Woo!
Let me make sure I got the numbers right...three leagues at once?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #86
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Let me make sure I got the numbers right...three leagues at once?
Yep. I played three nights a week.
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #87
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bear View Post
Yep. I played three nights a week.
My church league (Saturdays) is going to wrap up in mid/late August. I'm picking up a Thursday night league in two weeks and I might pick up a Monday night in August. Hopefully I can pull it all off, but my wife might veto the Monday night.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #88
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
2-0 in summer season.
Unread 07-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #89
Administrator

We improved to 7-2 with a 31-11 win today. I think we're all alone in 2nd now. Even if the first place team lost in the last game of the day, they'd still have the tiebreaker for beating us earlier in the season.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #90
leafy greens!

My team lost again Friday to dip below .500 for the first time this season, 3-4-3. I was playing left field and had a chance to take away a homer but the ball ticked off the top of my glove. Literally two inches higher and I would have had it. Next time I'm climbing the fence.

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote