Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #61
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
First game of the season today. It was a bummer because the other team had a last minute cancel so...win by forfeit. We did end up getting a few guys from the previous game to stick around and scrimmage with us. It was good because we had four new players show up and we didn't really know where they were comfortable.

I played a few innings in LF then moved into SS. LF with the short fence wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We normally play with a "180 line" (because it's coed), which means when girls are up at least four players have to be behind the line. Because of the dimensions of the field I'd guess "180" is closer to 130 or 140 giving the LF a lot more ground to cover. I feel like it might make it harder for girls to get hits, but I watched a couple innings of the game after ours and it seems like there's still plenty of room for girls to hit through the IF/OF gap.

Instead of having a wide-open RF (like I thought we would), they put out a few big orange cones about 210 ft or so out there (pretty much matching LF). I'm really going to have to adjust my swing. My league is a 3-pitch league, meaning your own team provides a pitcher and you only get three chances. I was down to my third swing and the pitcher put one that I really had to reach for. I took a really lazy golf swing to make sure I made contact and it went over the cones. I have very mixed feelings about this, but whatever. This is something that's going to be an issue for everybody, not just me. We had another guy on our team hit an HR for a dead ball out. The league is 1 and 1 up on HRs. so there will definitely be a few teams we'll be able to have a slug fest with. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Of course, because it was a scrimmage I tried to work opposite field after I hit the HR (the other team never equalized). I ended up hitting a pop up to center and hitting our pitcher in the knee. He wears knee braces so he said it didn't hurt too much. Before this I was pitching to a guy and got hit in the back of the calf. I'm waiting to see what it looks like when it bruises. For now it just feels like I have a constant cramp in my left calf.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season. I talked to the ump/league director and she said our fees actually reserve the field through December so she's going to try to put together a fall league for a pretty low cost as long as enough teams are interested. I suggested to her that if a couple teams didn't want to play that maybe some players from the two teams would want to combine forces as a "free agent" team of sorts.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #62
leafy greens!

Also had my first game of the season last night. 2-for-3 with three runs scored (third at-bat was a fielder's choice). I found I'm able to go the other way with a lot of success, especially when they overload the infield to the first base side. With a rover mixed in there's just no reason to go to right unless you're pulling for the fences. I did take one shot at doing that and blooped a single into shallow right. We won on a walkoff rocket off the shortstop's glove. Apparently this team only won two or three games all last year so they were pretty pumped. Definitely feeling better about how I'll fit in there though, the guys are a lot of fun so that's a big plus.

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #63
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
We are four weeks in here..... 4-0, 3-1, and 2-2 on my three teams. The 2-2 team is actually the best team of the three but our competition has been much better in that division.
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #64
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Last Monday, I had my worst game ever. Terrible. I plan to be much better this week. I bought a new bat bag to make sure it happens.
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Bear View Post
Last Monday, I had my worst game ever. Terrible. I plan to be much better this week. I bought a new bat bag to make sure it happens.
Get a flat brim hat too.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #66
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Get a flat brim hat too.
Haha. I wear my lesser hats for softball. My current gamer was $5 from a street vendor at AT&T.

I am looking at buying a 1st baseman's glove. And I am starting to look at bats. DiMarini White Steel.
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #67
Administrator

I hear lots of good things about the White Steel. I've also heard good stuff about Anderson bats, but I'm not sure which of theirs is single wall and which are not.

Given the current dimensions of the field I'm playing on, I'm really tempted to switch to a Hammer or a Cyclone if I'm up to bat and my team doesn't have any HRs...

I'm a podcaster
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #68
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
Nanotek is supposed to be one of the better singlewall Andersons. But I have heard of leagues banning them because they have too much pop for a singlewall.
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #69
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
I hear lots of good things about the White Steel. I've also heard good stuff about Anderson bats, but I'm not sure which of theirs is single wall and which are not.

Given the current dimensions of the field I'm playing on, I'm really tempted to switch to a Hammer or a Cyclone if I'm up to bat and my team doesn't have any HRs...
I really like the white steel. They are definitely on the high end of my price range. I don't think the Andersons are an option in our league.

My bat bag is Anderson. It's huge and kind of awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bear View Post
Nanotek is supposed to be one of the better singlewall Andersons. But I have heard of leagues banning them because they have too much pop for a singlewall.
Yikes. I definitely wouldn't want to spend money on a bat that my league would definitely ban in like 5 minutes.
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #70

I play on my church's team and in a beer league......I love softball (slow pitch) but some rules I hate like you cant lead off or steal......I use to play competitive hardball in my school days and we could always lead off and steal just like the pros but nope..not in softball. Someone should change that rule.
Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #71
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
I play on my church's team and in a beer league......I love softball (slow pitch) but some rules I hate like you cant lead off or steal......I use to play competitive hardball in my school days and we could always lead off and steal just like the pros but nope..not in softball. Someone should change that rule.
Stealing obviously can't be done in slow pitch - I could steal third from first if we were allowed to lead off and steal. If you're gonna play softball, you can't steal. In fastball you can steal.

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan123 View Post
Stealing obviously can't be done in slow pitch - I could steal third from first if we were allowed to lead off and steal. If you're gonna play softball, you can't steal. In fastball you can steal.
Some leagues allow Little League style stealing, meaning that you can steal after the ball crosses home plate.

My team picked up a win in our second week (last Saturday) in a close one. We were up by four or five runs going into the bottom of the 7th and ended up letting the team get back within a run before finishing up the inning. After the game there was a long conversation between a former league director, the current league director, and a few players. A couple of the rules are going to be changing.

First, balls hit over the fence when there are no HRs left will be counted as fouls and go against your pitch count. Because this is a 3-pitch/team pitch league, you can strikeout on a ball hit over the fence as it would be a third pitch foul out. Personally I preferred that balls hit over the fence with no HRs left were just automatic DBOs, but whatever.

The second, and to me bigger, change is that the cones in RF are going to be removed. Relying on OFs to be honest just creates too much confusion. This isn't because OFs are trying to trick the offense but because it creates a delay in the middle of the play. For example, in our game Saturday the opposition hit a ball that bounce right at the cone marker and went past it. Before the game we were told that balls that took a bounce past the cones were ground-rule doubles, but if the ball rolls past the cones it remains live. Once the ball went past the cone I threw my hands up to signal ground-rule double. Apparently this created some sort of confusion and we ended up throwing one of their runners out at home because even though I signaled for dead ball, the ump didn't realize where the ball hit and kept it in play.

Eliminating the cone "fence" in RCF/RF means that the fields are just open. Hits to those fields are whatever you can get. On the one hand I think it means that OFs will have to start really defending those areas better, but I think the confusion relief it will create will be really good. Also, as a lefty I'm looking forward to going back to being free swinging. Once my team was out of HRs on Saturday I started chopping at everything. All of my hits went through the 3/4 gap for singles.

After my game I stuck around and watched the next two teams. Apparently one of the teams played the previous week with a 1 home run per inning rule. I'm not sure how that happened, but it did. This week they were forced to play in the "1 and 1 up" scenario and it really messed with their big swingers. They burned their HR (two-run shot) in the top of the first and the other team didn't get one for a few innings (I think it was a grand slam). In that space in between the first team (who has a few guys with HR power on this field) really seemed to struggle with hitting. They scored 20 runs the first week but I think they only scored 11 this week. From what I watched it seemed like their power guys didn't know what to do if they couldn't hit HRs.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #73
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Some leagues allow Little League style stealing, meaning that you can steal after the ball crosses home plate.

My team picked up a win in our second week (last Saturday) in a close one. We were up by four or five runs going into the bottom of the 7th and ended up letting the team get back within a run before finishing up the inning. After the game there was a long conversation between a former league director, the current league director, and a few players. A couple of the rules are going to be changing.

First, balls hit over the fence when there are no HRs left will be counted as fouls and go against your pitch count. Because this is a 3-pitch/team pitch league, you can strikeout on a ball hit over the fence as it would be a third pitch foul out. Personally I preferred that balls hit over the fence with no HRs left were just automatic DBOs, but whatever.

The second, and to me bigger, change is that the cones in RF are going to be removed. Relying on OFs to be honest just creates too much confusion. This isn't because OFs are trying to trick the offense but because it creates a delay in the middle of the play. For example, in our game Saturday the opposition hit a ball that bounce right at the cone marker and went past it. Before the game we were told that balls that took a bounce past the cones were ground-rule doubles, but if the ball rolls past the cones it remains live. Once the ball went past the cone I threw my hands up to signal ground-rule double. Apparently this created some sort of confusion and we ended up throwing one of their runners out at home because even though I signaled for dead ball, the ump didn't realize where the ball hit and kept it in play.

Eliminating the cone "fence" in RCF/RF means that the fields are just open. Hits to those fields are whatever you can get. On the one hand I think it means that OFs will have to start really defending those areas better, but I think the confusion relief it will create will be really good. Also, as a lefty I'm looking forward to going back to being free swinging. Once my team was out of HRs on Saturday I started chopping at everything. All of my hits went through the 3/4 gap for singles.

After my game I stuck around and watched the next two teams. Apparently one of the teams played the previous week with a 1 home run per inning rule. I'm not sure how that happened, but it did. This week they were forced to play in the "1 and 1 up" scenario and it really messed with their big swingers. They burned their HR (two-run shot) in the top of the first and the other team didn't get one for a few innings (I think it was a grand slam). In that space in between the first team (who has a few guys with HR power on this field) really seemed to struggle with hitting. They scored 20 runs the first week but I think they only scored 11 this week. From what I watched it seemed like their power guys didn't know what to do if they couldn't hit HRs.
I used to play coed softball on a small little league field. So frustrating. I totally understand what you are dealing with.
Unread 05-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #74
Administrator

We got the offense rolling in the 7th inning this week and put up 9 runs en route to a 20-10 win.

My swing is all kinds of screwed up after our second game where I was trying to keep the ball in play. I'm still hitting hard, but I'm hitting on top of the ball. I guess I can't really complain though, I went 4-5 with a pair of doubles.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #75
leafy greens!

We got handed our first loss of the season in a lightning-on-the-horizon-shortened game. I went 1-for-2 but my groundout was a clear whiff by the umpire - I had already taken another step beyond the bag when I heard the ball hit the first baseman's glove. Picked up another RBI though.