Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #46
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
Singles are great. We had one HR in our win, and a ton of baseknocks.

Art, sometime on one of your weekends you should drop down into Reno so we can go hit the cages.

Unread 01-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #47
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
I really want to. Soon. Right now, I am teaching as much as possible. Money money money.
Unread 04-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #48
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
So word on the street is that my softball season starts back up on May 7th. We've changed field location and with that comes new ground rules. I don't know all of the details of why we switched, but the dimensions of our new field are...interesting. If you want to see it on Google Maps it's called Olive Grove Park in San Diego, CA.

From using the tools in Google Maps, I was able to determine that the left field line is about 200 ft long. The fence runs along LF and intersects with a straight line running from home plate to dead CF (through the pitchers mound) right around 290 ft. on one field (maybe as short as 270, can't exactly see home plate on that field)and about 280 on the other (I'm not sure which of the two fields there we'll be on). The two fields are on a rectangular plot so the RF fence is about 380 ft away, so for any hitter I've seen in our league, RF is basically fence-less.

This means that the position I normally played in LF when men were batting (anywhere from 200-250ft out, sometimes a little deeper) would be behind the fences on this new field. It also means that some managers will place their RF and RCF around 300 feet when I bat (I'm a lefty) just to make sure their OFs keep the ball in front of them. I don't really mind that, but the new dimensions of LF might limit my usefulness there so I may move somewhere else (possibly just over to RCF).

The other issue, though it sounds like it will be taken care of, is that with a fence running from 200-270ft in LF/CF it means that a well pulled routine fly ball is now a HR. I've been talking to another manager in the league and according to him teams will be given 1 HR per game and all other HRs will be foul balls or singles. He is going to push the league director to make them outs instead. I can live with them being foul balls, but the idea of awarding singles for what would have been routine fly outs on our old field just rubs me the wrong way.

Regardless, if they end up being singles it's not like they're only counting for singles against my team. The righties on my team will hopefully be able to take advantage of such a rule as well. The big thing I want to ingrain into my team at the first game is to not waste that easy HR on a solo homer. Save them for situations where it's going to score at least two runners plus yourself. If it's not scoring 3, then it's not worth wasting.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #49
Auntie Becky

Send a message via AIM to Becky
that seams weird, how can they just up and change the game rules that way?
Unread 04-25-2011, 01:53 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
that seams weird, how can they just up and change the game rules that way?
That's how most slowpitch softball leagues operate, and that's how they're designed to operate. Leagues that run under "ASA" rules are free to modify them to their needs. The league I play in isn't affiliated with any association and as such I think the bulk of our rules are based on ASA, but are heavily modified in some respects. The HR limits aren't uncommon in leagues with more HR hitters. Last season I think there were only 2 guys in the league that hit HRs on a 290-300ft field so there was no need for a limit. With the shorter fences this season, that will definitely change, hence the need to limits on HRs.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #51
Auntie Becky

Send a message via AIM to Becky
huh, gotcha. Makes sense I guess, though it still seams strange that you can change a game like that. I guess since games are for fun it shouldn't be strange, but still
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #52
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
So word on the street is that my softball season starts back up on May 7th. We've changed field location and with that comes new ground rules. I don't know all of the details of why we switched, but the dimensions of our new field are...interesting. If you want to see it on Google Maps it's called Olive Grove Park in San Diego, CA.

From using the tools in Google Maps, I was able to determine that the left field line is about 200 ft long. The fence runs along LF and intersects with a straight line running from home plate to dead CF (through the pitchers mound) right around 290 ft. on one field (maybe as short as 270, can't exactly see home plate on that field)and about 280 on the other (I'm not sure which of the two fields there we'll be on). The two fields are on a rectangular plot so the RF fence is about 380 ft away, so for any hitter I've seen in our league, RF is basically fence-less.

This means that the position I normally played in LF when men were batting (anywhere from 200-250ft out, sometimes a little deeper) would be behind the fences on this new field. It also means that some managers will place their RF and RCF around 300 feet when I bat (I'm a lefty) just to make sure their OFs keep the ball in front of them. I don't really mind that, but the new dimensions of LF might limit my usefulness there so I may move somewhere else (possibly just over to RCF).

The other issue, though it sounds like it will be taken care of, is that with a fence running from 200-270ft in LF/CF it means that a well pulled routine fly ball is now a HR. I've been talking to another manager in the league and according to him teams will be given 1 HR per game and all other HRs will be foul balls or singles. He is going to push the league director to make them outs instead. I can live with them being foul balls, but the idea of awarding singles for what would have been routine fly outs on our old field just rubs me the wrong way.

Regardless, if they end up being singles it's not like they're only counting for singles against my team. The righties on my team will hopefully be able to take advantage of such a rule as well. The big thing I want to ingrain into my team at the first game is to not waste that easy HR on a solo homer. Save them for situations where it's going to score at least two runners plus yourself. If it's not scoring 3, then it's not worth wasting.
Wow. Just. Wow.

If I hit a ball into the air into left field....it would always be an out or a single. I seem to hit about 270 consistently, and when I get a hold of one it goes farther.

Normally I don't mind a dbo rule, if there are a few homers allowed. Most of my leagues are 3-4 hr's, with equalizers. I've only seen four homeruns in one game by one team twice out of the last 20 games I've seen/played.

But with those dimensions, I think there would be a ton of outs/singles/fouls at first, and then a bunch of push hitting.
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #53
leafy greens!

I have officially made the switch from baseball to softball, largely because I'm finally too old for minor baseball in the area(for some reason they let you go all the way to 19 years old in my area). I have no power whatsoever(I weigh in at a hefty 145 pounds) but I have always hit for average well. I've played softball competitively maybe five or six times total before, so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I'm pretty excited to be bringing the inside-out swing to softball

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bear View Post
Wow. Just. Wow.

If I hit a ball into the air into left field....it would always be an out or a single. I seem to hit about 270 consistently, and when I get a hold of one it goes farther.

Normally I don't mind a dbo rule, if there are a few homers allowed. Most of my leagues are 3-4 hr's, with equalizers. I've only seen four homeruns in one game by one team twice out of the last 20 games I've seen/played.

But with those dimensions, I think there would be a ton of outs/singles/fouls at first, and then a bunch of push hitting.
Yeah. The average skill level in my league isn't particularly high. There are guys that can push hit, but there's lots of players like me that are pure pull hitters. Most of them don't have any background in baseball or softball so their swing mechanics aren't very good meaning lots of 180-200 foot pop outs, if they hit the ball in the air at all.

I know if I was a righty instead of a lefty, it would definitely be a frustrating transition. Last season I was consistently hitting in the 220-250ft range on a line and in the 250-270ft range when I got under the ball. I don't think I mind the limit being 1HR...maybe as the season goes on it will be frustrating and the director will come under pressure to expand and it'll go up to 2 or 3HRs. I thought about equalizers, but with the fence that short I think a lot of teams will just start trading HRs back and forth. Of course the smart teams will let the other team burn their HR on a solo shot and never hit one of their own.

I know a big concern is for the time limit. Our games are supposed to be limited to an hour. Typically we can get at least 5 innings in under the time limit. I've been involved in a handful of games over the last three seasons that have actually been completed under the time limit. The manager I've been talking with is concerned that making HRs after the limit singles or fouls will just serve to extend the game, while making them DBOs will discourage teams from even trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan123 View Post
I have officially made the switch from baseball to softball, largely because I'm finally too old for minor baseball in the area(for some reason they let you go all the way to 19 years old in my area). I have no power whatsoever(I weigh in at a hefty 145 pounds) but I have always hit for average well. I've played softball competitively maybe five or six times total before, so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I'm pretty excited to be bringing the inside-out swing to softball
Are there no adult baseball leagues in your area? I'm playing in one right now. I really wish I would've just kept playing out of high school though. This might be my only adult baseball season. It definitely will be my last Sunday league (too hectic with the games being immediately after church). Right now my arm is shot because I didn't really take time to ease into the season after several years of not pitching at all.

Hitting in softball is about a couple things: Leverage (arm extension) and gaps. Even though I probably hit for power more than anyone else on my team, I still think of myself as a contact hitter. Every time I come to the plate, my goal is to just hit a single. Usually that means hitting a line drive through the 1B/2B gap.

Of course, hitting a softball is different than hitting a baseball. You don't get the benefit of the ball coming in at high velocity and compressing on contact with the bat because of it. You pretty much have to generate all your power from your swing.

That being said, the inside-out swing can be successful in softball, it's just usually not a get power generator because you don't get the same amount as extension as a traditional softball swing. For your first season, I wouldn't try to adjust your swing much. Just try to keep the bat head level and hit line drives.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #55
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
My city's only adult baseball league is gone. I really wish it was around. I would love to play baseball.

My Softball league has a 1 HR equalizer rule, and we play on 300' fences down the lines. With a limited flight ball. SUPER lame. There are only a few guys in the league who even can hit it out.
Unread 04-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Bear View Post
My city's only adult baseball league is gone. I really wish it was around. I would love to play baseball.

My Softball league has a 1 HR equalizer rule, and we play on 300' fences down the lines. With a limited flight ball. SUPER lame. There are only a few guys in the league who even can hit it out.
Is that just for Roseville or the entire Sac-town area?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #57
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Roseville City. I have not played in any of the other leagues, but I have heard that Rocklin is way easier on bat restrictions at least, and I assume some leagues in the area are better about all kind of rules. Roseville is super harsh.

I had a decent game tonight. Our first baseman hurt his hammy last week, so I'll be at my favorite position for a while. I made one really nice defensive play, going to my left to take away a hit down the line on a grounder. That was the only ball hit to me, so that felt good. It made me miss my days at third base.

I was 2 for 4 with two more singles. One to right, and a hard grounder down the line into left. My outs were a very hard hit grounder to short and a ridiculous foul tip. The ball was way outside, and I had no business trying to get it. Oh well.

My teammates are recognizing that I am playing a lot better. The weight I have dropped has helped a lot, as my speed and mobility have definitely increased. Also, all of my trips to the cages over the last few months have really proven to be worth it.
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #58
leafy greens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Are there no adult baseball leagues in your area? I'm playing in one right now. I really wish I would've just kept playing out of high school though. This might be my only adult baseball season. It definitely will be my last Sunday league (too hectic with the games being immediately after church). Right now my arm is shot because I didn't really take time to ease into the season after several years of not pitching at all.

Hitting in softball is about a couple things: Leverage (arm extension) and gaps. Even though I probably hit for power more than anyone else on my team, I still think of myself as a contact hitter. Every time I come to the plate, my goal is to just hit a single. Usually that means hitting a line drive through the 1B/2B gap.

Of course, hitting a softball is different than hitting a baseball. You don't get the benefit of the ball coming in at high velocity and compressing on contact with the bat because of it. You pretty much have to generate all your power from your swing.

That being said, the inside-out swing can be successful in softball, it's just usually not a get power generator because you don't get the same amount as extension as a traditional softball swing. For your first season, I wouldn't try to adjust your swing much. Just try to keep the bat head level and hit line drives.
Baseball simply isn't as popular in Canada. The closest men's league team is a solid forty-minute drive for me, and that would be for home games. Add to that the fact that I'd likely be warming the bench more than actually playing, and it's simply not worth it. I'm definitely going to miss spinning my curveball though.

Thanks for the advice, I'm feeling pretty new. From the few times I've played, I've found my baseball swing doesn't do the same thing to a softball that it does to a baseball. I've always been a quick hips/quick hands, compact, inside-out swinger with a lot of singles to left and left-center (I'm a lefty). Last time I played I just tried to meet the ball where it was at and ended up lining two perfect singles past the pitcher's head - and after the game the pitcher threw the ball at me. I guess I still have some things to learn...

"And I don't see my brokeness anymore, when I'm seated at the table of the Lord" - Leeland
tmlfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan123 View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'm feeling pretty new. From the few times I've played, I've found my baseball swing doesn't do the same thing to a softball that it does to a baseball. I've always been a quick hips/quick hands, compact, inside-out swinger with a lot of singles to left and left-center (I'm a lefty). Last time I played I just tried to meet the ball where it was at and ended up lining two perfect singles past the pitcher's head - and after the game the pitcher threw the ball at me. I guess I still have some things to learn...
In a lot of leagues, "going box" is frowned upon because of the high injury risk for pitchers.

The quick hips/hands thing is good. It sounds like you have that part of the mechanics down. Now you probably just need to work on getting extension and driving through the ball.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #60
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Word of advice... Sometimes I go back up the box, but not by design. My inside out swing brings me right up the middle fairly regularly if I swing at the wrong pitch, which I do often. Let the pitcher know that you're not trying to take his head off. Just a quick, "Hey pitch, sorry about that." goes a really long way. You can usually tell when someone is doing it on purpose, but it can also be frustrating when someone does it and just doesn't care.