Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
More playoff updates for me...

Ended up having to play a triple header of sorts yesterday. We lost our first game (10am start) to the number 1 seed which dropped us into the loser's bracket. They beat us 20-10. We had to play, at 3PM, the 2nd seed (who we beat last week) again. We ended up beating them in extra innings. We then had to play the 1st seed again at 4PM. Between the morning game and the afternoon games we made a couple defensive adjustments that really helped us out a lot. We ended up beating the 1st seed 13-4.

So next Saturday we start off with playing the 1st seed from our bracket at 8am. If we beat them we will play whoever was the survivor from the other division in our league for the championship. Depending on how the final game of the day went yesterday, we may have to win three straight games in order to win the championship. This is because it's a double elimination tournament and if we play the 1st seed from the other division and they didn't lose yesterday we would have to beat them twice to eliminate them.

I didn't think that in my third season in this league (after going 0-4 in the playoffs the first two seasons) my team would be able to put together a 4-1 (so far) playoff record. I'm really proud of the effort my team has put in so far. We're really gelling at just the right time.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #17
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Your playoffs are so long! Ours are one day, a total of three games. Four teams, obviously. And they are tomorrow night.
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Your playoffs are so long! Ours are one day, a total of three games. Four teams, obviously. And they are tomorrow night.
Yeah...the way our league is set up, I think every team makes the playoffs. In my division there are six teams. The top two seeds get a bye while the 3-6 seeds battle for the remaining spots.

The more I think about it, I may have read the bracket incorrectly and we may have been the 4th seed, not the 6th seed.

The playoffs are double elimination. The top seed can play as few as four games to win the championship. From the spot my team was in, we would have to play at least five games to win it. Since we lost one game, right now it's looking like we will need at least two more wins (six total) with a possibility for three more wins (if we have to beat the other division winner twice) to become champion.

Yeah...long and complicated bracket. I'm not sure who came up with the "everyone plays" playoff system. I'm sure it keeps the managers happy though. I know I'd be bummed if I was on a 6th place team and didn't get a long shot at the championship. On top of that between the two divisions there are 11 teams...so yeah, lots of softball going on.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #19
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
I kind of like that. We have 9 teams, 4 playoff teams. We have 3 eight game seasons per year. This is the end of season #2. Also, we have a tournament of champions. The city has like 8 men's leagues.
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I kind of like that. We have 9 teams, 4 playoff teams. We have 3 eight game seasons per year. This is the end of season #2. Also, we have a tournament of champions. The city has like 8 men's leagues.
What's your cost per player for a season? For our 11 game season (plus guaranteed two playoff games) I think I paid $35 + umpire fees throughout the year. I think all in all I've paid something like $64 this year for the 16 games played so far.

Our league runs independently of other leagues. We're just a church league. We actually used to have two distinct divisions (an A and B division) roughly based on skill level. This season there weren't enough B division teams so they integrated the leagues. Of course, last year's B division champion was the number 1 seed in our division (the team we lost to, then beat on Saturday). They're really good and, from what I've seen, have the only player in the league that has the power to hit an out of the park homer.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
What's your cost per player for a season? For our 11 game season (plus guaranteed two playoff games) I think I paid $35 + umpire fees throughout the year. I think all in all I've paid something like $64 this year for the 16 games played so far.

Our league runs independently of other leagues. We're just a church league. We actually used to have two distinct divisions (an A and B division) roughly based on skill level. This season there weren't enough B division teams so they integrated the leagues. Of course, last year's B division champion was the number 1 seed in our division (the team we lost to, then beat on Saturday). They're really good and, from what I've seen, have the only player in the league that has the power to hit an out of the park homer.
We pay something like $40 per season, all included. We get discounts for championships. Next season is only $22 each for our team.
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #22
Administrator

Just to wrap this up...

We beat the top seed in our bracket in the semi-final this morning and beat the bracket winner from the other division for the championship two hours later. CHAMPIONS!

On top of that, I hit my first over the fence home run. I was so excited when I saw it go. I can't even begin to explain how good it felt.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #23
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Blammo!! Way to go, Steve. That must have felt amazing.
Unread 10-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #24

I am a huge softball player and know quite a lot in regards to softball bats. Purchasing one is like buying a guitar, you could spend a ton of money and buy a pool noodle of a softball bat if you aren't carefull.

First, know what association you are playing. If you are playing ASA and buy a USSSA bat, you have just wasted your money. ASA has rules that essentially mandate you using a bat that doesn't perform as well. USSSA allows you to use a higher performing bat.

That being said, if you have not played in a long time you may not feel the difference. Kind of like buying a Gibson Les Paul to learn on, you aren't going to be able to know or feel the differences that make it so special. But, a good bat in a quality players hands will turn a 285 foot pop up into a 300 foot homerun. There is that much extra performance that you can get out of them.

I would recommend Worth and their line of composite softball bats. You can expect to spentd $175 to $300. The mayhems and titans are great models!
lakeyale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #25

I haven't played in years but I have a desire to go back and try it again. I'm probably older than most of you but I enjoy good compettiton. I will most likely play catcher or first base.
Unread 12-25-2010, 04:05 AM   #26
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
Thread revival....I was going to start a new one but I searched first.

Getting pumped to get back into ball. I played hardball in school, haven't touched any kind of baseball/softball in about ten years. Found a decent group of guys, and we are starting a team. We have an outdoor winter league here, Deep Freeze. Gonna use that as our starting point, and try to keep everyone on the team for Spring and Summer.

We play mostly ASA here, I can't wait for warmer weather so I can get a couple of nice bats. I'm mostly an infielder, when I played baseball I was a gap hitter, average, with decent power. Softball looks to be more power for me. I'm hitting the cages all winter long and hitting the weights too, I want to hit well this summer!

Anybody else still playing? What bats do you guys use? Own? Like?

Right now the best bat I've had available was an older Demarini Juggernaut. Love that thing when they let me use it. Hitting 280-300' with it. I've got a Rip-It Reaper and a Worth EST Reloaded to get me started, and through the winter. But I'm looking at picking up an Easton Salvo and a Miken Super Freak 98 for the spring to start breaking in for summer.

As you can obviously tell, I am super excited for all of this.
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
Administrator

I'll be picking up a rec league that starts up in March. This will run from March to May. Sometime in May, my usual church league will be starting up as well.

How old is the Juggernaut? I have the J2, which is supposed to be the newer version of the Juggy and it hit really well for me. A lot of guys swear by older composites, saying they get super hot after they get 1000+ hits on them.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #28
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
I'll be picking up a rec league that starts up in March. This will run from March to May. Sometime in May, my usual church league will be starting up as well.

How old is the Juggernaut? I have the J2, which is supposed to be the newer version of the Juggy and it hit really well for me. A lot of guys swear by older composites, saying they get super hot after they get 1000+ hits on them.
I believe it's an '08. It's all black, and from the looks of it it has a ton of hits on it. I've been lurking on softballfans forum for a while, noticed you over there, haha. And yeah, I've seen a lot of swearing by older bats.

I've been doing a ton of research on new bats, and the three that I am looking at are the previously mentioned Easton Salvo, Miken Super Freak 98, and the Demarini The One. I've been looking at Kellys, and they have some awesome bat combo deals that I am really tempted to grab. It'll probably depend on how much I can save up over the next few months, and how our team does to start out for the winter league.

*edit*

And I'm considering picking up one of those Reebok Vector O's......<$100 for a composite ASA bat that looks to be awesome......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okbxgm9TvjQ

......I hate being a compulsive collector sometimes......

Last edited by Reno Rattler; 12-25-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Reno Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #29
Administrator

I'm not at all suprised that someone told you to stick with the Juggy in your thread on SBF. I think with your size and strength level, once you get the rhythm of the mechanics down, you'll be dropping bombs on a regular basis with just about any high-end composite bat you try.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #30
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
I'm not at all suprised that someone told you to stick with the Juggy in your thread on SBF. I think with your size and strength level, once you get the rhythm of the mechanics down, you'll be dropping bombs on a regular basis with just about any high-end composite bat you try.
That makes solid sense. I think I am just gear happy, in all of my hobbies, haha. I'm gonna work on finding out if I prefer balanced, end load, one piece, two piece, all that. Then I'll do a bit more shopping. For now I'll just run with the bats I've got.....I think I am going to pick up one of those Reeboks though. That'll give me three solidly different bats to work with for a while. Without breaking the bank to boot.

And changing gears.......where do y'all play in the field? I'm mostly an infielder, not sure where I'm gonna be placed yet. I am co-1B, I know I'll play there if our other first baseman can't make it out. I have more range than him though, so the coach will probably put me out somewhere else when he is playing.

I would say the hardest thing for me to pick back up has been fly balls. Me out in the outfield is not the best idea, lol. I've been working on it a ton during practice, and have gotten a bit better about tracking them down. But man, outfield is not comfortable for me yet.