Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Not of this world

'Fill'?

I was told that I am going to be playing some fill for the next few songs in the set this week. I don't even know what it is. :\

I take that back, I am under the assumption that it has to do with notes and not chords during a verse or something like that?

They hard to do/learn? I am also assuming that you would play the fill by the chord that's being played by rhythm guitarist at the time..

MyChainsAreGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I would ask the person who told you this what they mean.

Typically playing "fills" means to play lead runs during parts where there aren't vocals to "fill in" the lack of dominant vocal melody. Sometimes this means putting together a lead part, whereas other times it just means separating out a chord and playing it note by note (arpeggios).

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Not of this world

Thanks Steve.

I have heard the other guitarist do it and what he was doing was just leads for the most part during the verse because the worship leader didn't want him playing rhythm during the verse.

So it is leads? Would that be just playing the appropriate chord just note by note? not like straight down but maybe like the D string, then the G string then the A string etc?

Thanks though, ill also ask some one on IRC when I get home tonight if they know more.
Unread 01-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyChainsAreGone View Post
So it is leads? Would that be just playing the appropriate chord just note by note? not like straight down but maybe like the D string, then the G string then the A string etc?
Starting out, I'm going to go ahead and say yes. A simple arpeggio like you described can add a lot to a song.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Are you familiar with the song "Salvation is Here" by Hillsong United? There's a dominant "fill" guitar during the verses of that song. It plays a three note melody at the intro, between the verses and after the first chorus and at the outro. It also does some octave parts during the second and third verses.
These aren't so much lead parts as they are complimentary melodies that do not get in the way of the primary melody, the lead vocal.
Sometimes these parts can be arpeggios of picked single notes of a full chord or they can be just 2 high notes of the chord, played in quarter or 8th notes and sounding chimey or resonating like a bell or pedal tone.

Tomlin's "Holy is the Lord" is another example of fill playing by the electric guitarist, using a combo of arpeggios during the vocals and lead fills between the vocal lines.
Pay close enough attention to the original recording of this song and you'll hear at least 5 different guitar tracks.
There is a lot of layered fill going on in this tune.

Like thesteve said, ask whoever told you to play this to give you some guidance and clarity.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Not of this world

This is my first shot at even trying, I just lightly did down stroke notes with the corresponding chords, if you wanna listen

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i69wta

Oh I used a song we played last week called Your Name by Paul Baloche.
Unread 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
This is my first shot at even trying, I just lightly did down stroke notes with the corresponding chords, if you wanna listen

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i69wta

Oh I used a song we played last week called Your Name by Paul Baloche.
Yeah, that's a start. If you're familiar with higher inversions of those chords then maybe play them in the same manner. It will add that much more dynamics to the music than just staying down where a rhythm guitar might already be playing.
btw: there's a Desperation Band version of that song, too, which I really like.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Not of this world

Yea I like the desperation band version better but they dont like it for some reason, they also dont like crowder.. meh.

So if I just get some new song on Thursday just play the chord corresponding with the acoustic? then possibly do what you said with higher inversions when I can actually practice it at home?

I don't think the worship co-ordinator expects much as its my first year on the stage but I don't wanna screw up and hit some really bad note during the actual service..

I love this place, I have learned everything I known about guitar here.. theory.. everything

Last edited by MyChainsAreGone; 01-19-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #9

ya, when I have to do fills, the first thing I check is to see if anyone's done a version of the song with lead guitar in it (original author, or a cover of it). Some consider it cheating, but if you're not good at writing fills it saves a lot of work. If you have to write a fill you can either do arpeggios or you can experiment the the main scale of the song. possibly follow the melody but just change it and add stuff to make it more interesting. Even just playing the melody with vibratos and string bends can add a lot.

If you want to get better at writing fills though it's probably good to write your own fill for every song even if that's not what you use during the actual performance.
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Not of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
ya, when I have to do fills, the first thing I check is to see if anyone's done a version of the song with lead guitar in it (original author, or a cover of it). Some consider it cheating, but if you're not good at writing fills it saves a lot of work. If you have to write a fill you can either do arpeggios or you can experiment the the main scale of the song. possibly follow the melody but just change it and add stuff to make it more interesting. Even just playing the melody with vibratos and string bends can add a lot.

If you want to get better at writing fills though it's probably good to write your own fill for every song even if that's not what you use during the actual performance.

I have to write the fill? I am not so good at bends ill just stick with simple stuff for now until I get better.
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #11

Quote:
I have to write the fill? I am not so good at bends ill just stick with simple stuff for now until I get better.
Writing the fill probably sounds more complicated than it is. All you're doing is creating a complimentary guitar part. Use the less-is-more principal in order to stick within your limits and not create musical chaos.
If you know the barre chords for the song then you can play only the B and E string notes of the corresponding barre chords. Alternate between the two strings in 8th note intervals and I think you'll add a nice effect to whatever the acoustic is doing.
Also, remember the beauty of silence. You don't have to ALWAYS be playing something. Holding back and only playing on certain parts is just another musical dynamic at your disposal.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Not of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Writing the fill probably sounds more complicated than it is. All you're doing is creating a complimentary guitar part. Use the less-is-more principal in order to stick within your limits and not create musical chaos.
If you know the barre chords for the song then you can play only the B and E string notes of the corresponding barre chords. Alternate between the two strings in 8th note intervals and I think you'll add a nice effect to whatever the acoustic is doing.
Also, remember the beauty of silence. You don't have to ALWAYS be playing something. Holding back and only playing on certain parts is just another musical dynamic at your disposal.
I was just going to ask you this, using silence reallly really is a good tool and wont get repetitive as fast or anything.

Wait so I can only use the high E and B string for playing fill with the corresponding barre chords? (explain what alternating in 8th note intervals is? if you have the time, if not I can ask some one in IRC )

Thanks for everyone's help again.

Edit: any tips if im playing anchored pinky and ring for like G, C, D, Em, Bm ?

so pinky and ring always on third fret E and B strings?
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #13

Quote:
I was just going to ask you this, using silence reallly really is a good tool and wont get repetitive as fast or anything.

Wait so I can only use the high E and B string for playing fill with the corresponding barre chords? (explain what alternating in 8th note intervals is? if you have the time, if not I can ask some one in IRC )

Thanks for everyone's help again.

Edit: any tips if im playing anchored pinky and ring for like G, C, D, Em, Bm ?

so pinky and ring always on third fret E and B strings?
Hold on a few minutes. I'm making a video for you...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
Not of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Hold on a few minutes. I'm making a video for you...
Whoa, a video?
Thanks so much.
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #15

Check this out... it will help you do fills..

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote