Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Music & Musicians > Instruments > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
power chord hater

Montaya Bass Guitar mod

I've been watching this bass guitar for a while on craigslist and the seller has gradually cut his asking price in half. I'm thinking for $45 I can't go wrong, right?

This is primarily for me to learn how to modify/repair instruments. I'm almost done with my Ibanez (i'm waiting for pups to come in), and I thought it'd be fun to try a bass. Knowing that I'll never have the kind of money to shell out for top of the line gear, I'm having a lot of fun making low cost gear into the best that it can be. Additionally, this is for a friend at a small church that needs a bass and can't afford much.

What do you think?
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
It could definitely be a fun project. I had a Montaya Les Paul copy that I was hoping to mod, but the neck was in bad shape and I couldn't find a source for the parts I needed.

As long as the neck on that one is solid, it should be pretty straightforward to work on, and the pickups might not even need to be replaced.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
power chord hater

It'd be great if the pickups were in good shape. I know the electronics are sketchy, so I'm planning on putting in new pots, switches, etc. (This is what I need the most practice on anyways). I'm hoping the tuners are solid as well.

I think I'll probably sand this one down and throw a pearloid pickguard on it. I cant see the bridge with the cover on it, but I'm curious to see what condition it's in.

I don't want to put a lot of money into it, but I've got plenty of time that I can spend on it.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I think I'll probably sand this one down and throw a pearloid pickguard on it.
-shane
Before you sand it down, take a good look on the side of this thing and see what is going on with the wood. The Montaya I had, as well as an old Hohner bass I had were plywood instruments that would've looked...interesting...in a stripped and sanded state.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
heeeey brother

You're joking, right?
Take it!
First off, this bass is freaking weird. For $45, if I could make it sound half decent and it played semi-okay, I would whip it out at a jam night just for the looks. Two funky looking pickups, a bridge cover, a LP style pickup selector, a weirdly placed tug bar, a kinda odd shape and a massive pickguard. Very weird, but I kinda like it.

You could do so much with this thing.
My thoughts on looking at it in the order I noticed them:

1) It has a real big pickguard. Old cheap bass - this is probably to cover some massive routing in the bass. I could be wrong but either way - if it is there, lots of work can be done for you. If it's not there, you can do a bunch of routing and still cover it up with the pickguard you already have.
2) It has a truss rod. Good.
3) That finish doesn't look fantastic. If you want to refinish it, it is a great bass to learn on because chances are what ever you do will look better, or equally good.
4) Odd looking pickups. Might sound like dirt. Could try to rewind them and see what you come up with, and if that sounds horrid, just get some new cheap pickups and throw them on.

But, who knows. I tried googling them and came up with nothing. You might have a gem here that justs needs to be cleaned up and is ready to play.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Before you sand it down, take a good look on the side of this thing and see what is going on with the wood. The Montaya I had, as well as an old Hohner bass I had were plywood instruments that would've looked...interesting...in a stripped and sanded state.
Didn't think about that. It reminds me of a table I tried to refinish right before I got married. Spent hours sanding down all of the legs just to get to the table top and realize it was particle board..bleh.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Call me Dusty Hill

Send a message via AIM to Iceman-bass14
I'd try it.
Somewhere, a defensive coordinator just burst into tears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
If someone asked me if I wanted to listen to Slayer or get kneed in the groin I would honestly have to think about it.
Iceman-bass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Groove On

Or you might could sand it a bit, primer and give it a color if you wanted to.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
Or you might could sand it a bit, primer and give it a color if you wanted to.
That would be plan B if it the wood grain looks bad or if it's plywood. Plan C involves wrapping it in cloth, which I did to a strat copy a few years back. (Search "Out of this World Guitar" in the guitar forum)
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
power chord hater

Well, I'm picking it up this week and I talked to the girl I'm doing it for. She wants it black with a pink neck. So, I'm going to strip it and paint it black, paint the headstock and pickguard in a sparkle black, and drop some hot pink strings on it.

As for technical mods..
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com