Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Okagesama de genki desu

How much do looks count?

I played a guitar today that blew me away. It sounded so good and felt so good to play. It felt like it played itself. Given the style of guitar it was I was floored by the tones I was getting out of it. The only problem is it is totally not the style guitar I am into and doesn't fit my playing at all. I play a lot of indie rock, pop, rock along with a bunch of country, classic rock etc... And this is the guitar: XPT700

Now, I am not a metal guy at all. But spending a day butchering some Dream Theater songs has gotten me back into developing technique and I've been thinking about adding a guitar to the arsenal that can really handle this type of playing. However, I only really play this type of music at home. I perform the aforementioned styles publically. This guitar was amazing. It made me want to play, and it made me play better. I even loved the body design from a practical standpoint. It rests perfectly on your legs sitting and the wing at the top is perfect for resting your arm on while getting technical. This thing is so fast and sounds so good. I just can't get past the looks of it. It is so far from my usual ideal of guitar gear. Usually I go for more classic, worn out gear like my beloved beat to death tele. Could I really take myself seriously playing a guitar like that for a country gig or a church service?
What do you think? how important are looks to you when picking out a guitar? If you found a guitar that played and sounded amazing, but you thought was hiddeous would that be a deal breaker for you?

Unread 11-14-2008, 12:44 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I have no problem admitting that looks can definitely be a deal breaker for me.

In a situation like with that XPT700, I would just hope that I could find a guitar that feels as good in another body style...

or like you said...some guitars are just meant to be played at home

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #3
Art
Superfly.

paid
Absolutely looks can be a deal breaker. I don't think I would ever buy that guitar, personally. But I'm more of a classic LP/SG kind of a guy.
Unread 11-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
recovering user

If you want a guitar with amazing playability, but options for non-crappy looks..... ESP.

[/shameless capitalistic plug]
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Looks, as far as the overall shape of the guitar, is a pretty big factor for me in considering purchasing a guitar.
If it's a whack shape, like that Ibanez, I'll pass on it.
Looks, as far as condition, matters little. A beat-down guitar in a shape that I like that plays great is hard to resist.

As far as that Ibanez goes, if much of what I liked about it was the shape and feel of the neck, I'd look for another body style that I prefer with the same neck on it.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

I could never buy a guitar that looked like that no matter how nicely it played. Ibanez guitars are known for having fast necks; they seem to be a favorite of shredders. You might try some other Ibanez guitar with the same neck style.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #7

I don't know the various country sub genre audiences to say but for most churches with a mixed generational audience I say it would distract folks from praising and worshipping at first.

Remember many will come from a tradition where guitars , drums, etc can not be used just a pipe organ, hymns and chants. You only get one chance at a first impression. Stray to far from the comfort level and you lose that service or that person for your church.
taiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
Okagesama de genki desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
I don't know the various country sub genre audiences to say but for most churches with a mixed generational audience I say it would distract folks from praising and worshipping at first.

Remember many will come from a tradition where guitars , drums, etc can not be used just a pipe organ, hymns and chants. You only get one chance at a first impression. Stray to far from the comfort level and you lose that service or that person for your church.
Wait a minute... you're saying using this guitar at church could actually turn people away from God?
And I just thought it was kinda ugly

(P.S. I used to play worship with a Dean ML, yes the Dimebag guitar, and I don't seem to recall anyone ever running from the building )
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
Wait a minute... you're saying using this guitar at church could actually turn people away from God?
And I just thought it was kinda ugly

(P.S. I used to play worship with a Dean ML, yes the Dimebag guitar, and I don't seem to recall anyone ever running from the building )
From God, no. From your church with some screaming about the heretics in there, yes. Many do just because you have a guitar player in the first place.
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
...more machine than man.

For me, a guitar needs to have both form and function, but that's just me.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #11

I guess I should say that for the last few days I've been following a discussion on a Catholic board about the use of praise and worship music during their mass. I also have a Seventh Day Adventist friend who plays bass at other churches on Sundays because of what the SDA church generally takes as acceptable during their services he is unable to serve his church with his bass playing skills.

Just saying playing music for a church is more then just individual worship, we need to serve our community. The visual comes into effect just as the use of distortion or a tribal beat by the drummer. In some places the untraditional look will be acceptable, in others it won't be.
Unread 11-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
I played a guitar today that blew me away. It sounded so good and felt so good to play. It felt like it played itself. Given the style of guitar it was I was floored by the tones I was getting out of it. The only problem is it is totally not the style guitar I am into and doesn't fit my playing at all. I play a lot of indie rock, pop, rock along with a bunch of country, classic rock etc... And this is the guitar: XPT700

Now, I am not a metal guy at all. But spending a day butchering some Dream Theater songs has gotten me back into developing technique and I've been thinking about adding a guitar to the arsenal that can really handle this type of playing. However, I only really play this type of music at home. I perform the aforementioned styles publically. This guitar was amazing. It made me want to play, and it made me play better. I even loved the body design from a practical standpoint. It rests perfectly on your legs sitting and the wing at the top is perfect for resting your arm on while getting technical. This thing is so fast and sounds so good. I just can't get past the looks of it. It is so far from my usual ideal of guitar gear. Usually I go for more classic, worn out gear like my beloved beat to death tele. Could I really take myself seriously playing a guitar like that for a country gig or a church service?
What do you think? how important are looks to you when picking out a guitar? If you found a guitar that played and sounded amazing, but you thought was hiddeous would that be a deal breaker for you?
Not really, I would probably grow to love it in 6 months for the sheer "what the heck" factor. But thats me. Personally, playing that at a country gig would seem absolutely awesome to me. I would also play that in church. That would be a ton easier to me than a country gig I normally play a 1964 DC melody maker when I play in church, or an SG. I really think I take myself as serious on one of those as I do my 1951 ES300 or my Paul. Granted my main axe is a bit of an eye catcher, but thats because of what I have done.

What you are describing, is simply this. Does image matter to you more than function? I am all about function. Heck, the way I look at school and the fact that I carry a giant rucksack should warn you that I am not going to let fashion get in the way of function.

The other question, since people are paying you is a question of whether it would harm your business opportunities to play? If so, it becomes an issue of practicality.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

I'd be afraid to stand next to you while you're playing that thing. You could use it as a weapon...unintentionally of course.

I'm with the guys saying to maybe find another model Ibanez that feels similar with a body style that you're not worried about.
Unread 11-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
Guitar Player...

There's no question that the looks would keep me from buying that guitar, no matter how well it played. I do hope you find something similar with a different body style!

Gear
Art & Lutherie Spruce with Quantum I Electronics
Agile AL-3100 -> GFT-90 Pedal Tuner -> SBN BDAB -> Danelectro Cool Cat Drive (OCD Clone) -> Boss DD-7 w/ homemade tap tempo -> Garnet Gnome
dtaylorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #15

Looks usually deter me more than they attract me.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote