Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #61
You Drive Me Nervous!
 
googleymoogley's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22
Yeah but John5's has a whammy and is heavy metal black with a silver pickguard. Give me some o' that!

__________________
Wash away, all the pain with the blood. No more shame, understand, who you are and what your life is for!
googleymoogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #62
better than I deserve
 
A-Ro's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleymoogley View Post
Yeah but John5's has a whammy and is heavy metal black with a silver pickguard. Give me some o' that!
So, you would use a tele!
A-Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #63
You Drive Me Nervous!
 
googleymoogley's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22
Yeah when it has 3 Enforcer™ "Wide Range" Humbucking Pickups and looks like this

and has about 5 of these behind it!

__________________
Wash away, all the pain with the blood. No more shame, understand, who you are and what your life is for!

Last edited by thesteve; 11-30-2008 at 07:52 PM.
googleymoogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #64
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
FWIW, the Telecaster has grown in popularity with the metalcore, hard rock and indie scenes. I've seen lots of pictures of metalcore bands with at least one guy in the band playing a Telecaster. The Telecaster is no more limited to country than any other guitar is limited to a genre. Guys from Frank Black (Pixies) and Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) to Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine) and Jesse Lacey (Brand New) have used Telecasters for a variety of tones. James Smith from Underoath even talks about using a Telecaster on the Underoath website.

...and why would you want to have five of such of mediocre amplifier?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #65
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
A marshall MG falls into my lame category, not even mediocre. And why would those pickups, (which look like fairly low output buckers I have seen, and a trem, make a tele metal? Trems are as at home in country and blues as metal. I have a far more metal looking SG and my tele I use for many things, but metal and country are not either one going to be it. (My pickup choice rules out metal, and I do not play country)

I love a tele tone for straight ahead rock and roll. It has a good bite.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #66
You Drive Me Nervous!
 
googleymoogley's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22
I was using the marshall as an example. So, (insert better marshall here)
.

I still wouldn't use a Tele even if it looked like the J5 there.....I would use this
...which has DiMarzio® Evolutions at its core!

or this
__________________
Wash away, all the pain with the blood. No more shame, understand, who you are and what your life is for!

Last edited by googleymoogley; 11-30-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: to add a guitar
googleymoogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #67
better than I deserve
 
A-Ro's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
And why would those pickups, (which look like fairly low output buckers I have seen, and a trem, make a tele metal? Trems are as at home in country and blues as metal. I have a far more metal looking SG and my tele I use for many things, but metal and country are not either one going to be it. (My pickup choice rules out metal, and I do not play country)

I love a tele tone for straight ahead rock and roll. It has a good bite.
FWIW John5 uses Dimarzio D Activators in his Tele.
A-Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #68
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ro View Post
FWIW John5 uses Dimarzio D Activators in his Tele.
This may have been true at one time, however neither of the current Fender offerings on the John 5 Telecaster models have Dimarzio pickups. The particular model that was pictured previously has Fender Enforcer™ "Wide Range" Humbucking Pickups.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #69
Tired of being attacked
 
BillSPrestonEsq's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Beaverton, Or
Posts: 40,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleymoogley View Post
I was using the marshall as an example. So, (insert better marshall here)
.

I still wouldn't use a Tele even if it looked like the J5 there.....I would use this
...which has DiMarzio® Evolutions at its core!

or this
Well... I use all manner of guitars. I find things like the iceman as rather unergonomic. Its balance makes it a hard guitar for me to play. I like my SGs and LPs better. however, one of my best playing guitars is a peavey usa Tele clone. Its pretty sharp looking. It also would be just as at home on a metal stage as a country. It is black. No pickguard, flame maple fretboard and neck on a black body.

I don't care what pickups a guitar comes with. Chances are, I will change them a few times before I get it right for me. I own guitars with a host of things at their core. Rio Grandes, EMG's SD, Fralin, Lollar, Burstbuckers, etc. And pickups are only as good as the wood they are in. Also, you have to listen to the wood to make a good pickup choice. Some guitars call for more highs, some need the highs tamed. Some scream for a p90 conversion pickup.

And I don't care who uses a marshall or how many cabs you have. The number or brand of amp or shape of the guitar really does not matter much to me. Its how it sounds. I use frenzels and one heck of a pedalboard. I have a vintage fender, and a krank as well. I dare say I have a rig that is quite formidable, and I play out of a single 1x12. Then again, I am post caring what genre anybody labels my gear. I rock hard with it.
__________________
For this I will be judged.


My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #70
Moderator
 
bread man's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,026
Send a message via AIM to bread man Send a message via MSN to bread man
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
FWIW, the Telecaster has grown in popularity with the metalcore, hard rock and indie scenes. I've seen lots of pictures of metalcore bands with at least one guy in the band playing a Telecaster. The Telecaster is no more limited to country than any other guitar is limited to a genre. Guys from Frank Black (Pixies) and Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) to Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine) and Jesse Lacey (Brand New) have used Telecasters for a variety of tones. James Smith from Underoath even talks about using a Telecaster on the Underoath website.
Word. I go to quite a lot of shows across a number of genres and at any show I go to, it's pretty much a guarantee that there'll be at least one tele on stage at some point during the night. Teles, at least around here, are ridiculously popular with hardcore bands. Even sludgy metal bands like Isis and Rosetta are using them.
__________________
blog
bread man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #71
You Drive Me Nervous!
 
googleymoogley's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bread man View Post
it's pretty much a guarantee that there'll be at least one tele on stage at some point during the night.
Tell that to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Alice Cooper, Flyleaf, Skillet, David Gilmour, Pink Floyd, Eric Johnson, Uli Jon Roth, Gary Hoey, Evanescence, Brian Setzer, Blackmore's Night, Deep Purple, The Newsboys, Slash, Bumblefoot, Buckethead, Guns n' Roses, Yngwie Malmsteen, White Snake, Paul Gilbert, Robert Fripp, Tony MacAlpine, Gary Hoey, Queen, Michael Schenker, Alcatrazz, Zakk Wylde, Ozzy Osbourne, Brian 'Head' Welch, Al Di Meola, Steve Lukather, Motörhead, and Stryper
__________________
Wash away, all the pain with the blood. No more shame, understand, who you are and what your life is for!
googleymoogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #72
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleymoogley View Post
Tell that to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Alice Cooper, Flyleaf, Skillet, David Gilmour, Pink Floyd, Eric Johnson, Uli Jon Roth, Gary Hoey, Evanescence, Brian Setzer, Blackmore's Night, Deep Purple, The Newsboys, Slash, Bumblefoot, Buckethead, Guns n' Roses, Yngwie Malmsteen, White Snake, Paul Gilbert, Robert Fripp, Tony MacAlpine, Gary Hoey, Queen, Michael Schenker, Alcatrazz, Zakk Wylde, Ozzy Osbourne, Brian 'Head' Welch, Al Di Meola, Steve Lukather, Motörhead, and Stryper
It would be helpful to actually read the post in context. He posted, "and at any show I go to, it's pretty much a guarantee that there'll be at least one tele on stage at some point during the night." (emphasis mine). That caveat makes a world of difference, doesn't it?
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #73
recovering user
 

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,435
I really really hate the Telecaster headstock. That is all.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #74
I'm on a horse.
 
Rainer.'s Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 29,118
Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Sometimes, hearing is believing.

I give you the stock American Standard Telecaster. Courtesy of gtrdave's madd chops.

(i knew saving this would come in handy...)

I give you Underoath... starring the Fender Telecaster!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZwZjH-v4c

Audioslave... Rockin' the Tele.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Ww8AHt49U

Soundgarden, featuring Telecaster goodness... also note the unconventional use of the SM57 on the vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJMfNij9dc0

...and so on.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 metaltele.mp3 (874.0 KB, 31 views)
__________________
. . . j o n : [ FLICKR \ BLOG ]


Last edited by thesteve; 12-01-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #75
You Drive Me Nervous!
 
googleymoogley's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22
Yeah when you have a ton of distortion and effects and other guitars behind it an dnone of the original gear in it....But if you just go to your local fender seller and you buy a $400 Tele...THERE WILL BE NO METAL coming out of it, just the horrendous twang!
__________________
Wash away, all the pain with the blood. No more shame, understand, who you are and what your life is for!
googleymoogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2