Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #46
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Some congregations are funny. My church is a non-denominational Christian Church that strives to stay true to the Restoration Movement. Yeah, we can be pretty stuffy about matters of doctrine. Have you ever heard a sermon on Sunday morning about why it's OK to have a piano in the building but why you shouldn't hold it against our brethren who won't allow it? Conservative is an understatement when it comes to such a church.

Now I can say with no doubt that having an SG or maybe some kind of shredder guitar used in the praise and worship section of our services wouldn't be a problem but if it caused tensions in the congregation we'd toss it out the door in a second. Why should we allow something so trivial to become a stumbling block? The fellow who used to lead praise and worship used an SG all the time and nobody thought twice about it.

Would I use the guitar in question in a worship service? Probably not. I can see someone else doing it and not having a bit of an issue with it. Honestly, I doubt most people in the service would even notice.

jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #47
Hey, I can change this!!!

4 are PLENTY!!!

the emando community are pretty much half & half on 4 or 8 strings for the electrics. this was my first 4 string mando build, starting from an ebay win of a job lot of precision bass style split pups. Everything else but the fretboard & frets came out of the scraps box, maple neck, ash body, knobs, pots, tuners & bridge salvaged from a squier strat, total cost?

$25?

aand as for meeting?

anytime!!

like every other collonial (including Mr O'Bamah) you have ancestors here, right?

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #48
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
4 are PLENTY!!!

the emando community are pretty much half & half on 4 or 8 strings for the electrics. this was my first 4 string mando build, starting from an ebay win of a job lot of precision bass style split pups. Everything else but the fretboard & frets came out of the scraps box, maple neck, ash body, knobs, pots, tuners & bridge salvaged from a squier strat, total cost?

$25?

aand as for meeting?

anytime!!

like every other collonial (including Mr O'Bamah) you have ancestors here, right?
I do, but mine come from Co Donegal and Cork, with the last one coming over in 1775, (Catholic from Cork, the Presbyterian ones from Donegal left Cardonagh around 1600). My wife however... She might qualify for Irish citizenship as of now. We are working on that. Her grandfather falls under an odd paradox of Irish law. He may or may not be a citizen by birth. By one law she qualifies and by another she does not. But she is a nurse which gets us both fast-tracked to citizenship. She might describe herself as Irish, but I describe myself as of Scot-Irish descent. We are seriously looking into moving to Ireland.

A couple questions...

Where do you get all your scale lengths and such?

How did you learn to make necks? Making fretboards is my final frontier. Any pointers?

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #49

scale lengths come from stewmac where I get the fretboards precut.

as to making necks, get a big lump of maple plank from the lumber yard and carve!!

the hardest bit is the neck/body join. a strat style is the easiest, and an acoustic is the hardest with an LP set neck in between

My folks also are Presbyterian Donegal stock.

Dad's family all still live in the Rathmelton area.........

My Mum spent the war in Moville which is a few miles up the road from Carndonagh..... Her Dad was in UK Naval inteligence working in the free state..... very cloak & dagger, but HIS grandparents were from the area.....

and your wife is a nurse who wants to COME to Ireland? wow, I thought all the nurses CAME from here!!

luthier blog

Unread 11-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #50
not so bright

This guitar is of the devil!

http://www.deanguitars.com/dean_wint...plittail_3.htm

I'm pretty picky on the way a guitar looks. I wouldn't own the one in question. Sorry!

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #51
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Man. I thought SGs and Vs were the ugliest guitars ever made, but put them together...

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #52

and as if THAT wasn't enough, it has one of those silly Dean split heads TOO!!!!

ICK!!

luthier blog

Unread 11-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #53
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
scale lengths come from stewmac where I get the fretboards precut.

as to making necks, get a big lump of maple plank from the lumber yard and carve!!

the hardest bit is the neck/body join. a strat style is the easiest, and an acoustic is the hardest with an LP set neck in between

My folks also are Presbyterian Donegal stock.

Dad's family all still live in the Rathmelton area.........

My Mum spent the war in Moville which is a few miles up the road from Carndonagh..... Her Dad was in UK Naval inteligence working in the free state..... very cloak & dagger, but HIS grandparents were from the area.....

and your wife is a nurse who wants to COME to Ireland? wow, I thought all the nurses CAME from here!!
Yes, she is an enlightened Nurse who is aware Ireland is the place to be. But to be fair, her family has not been gone long. My family on the other hand... left before Bushmills had a license. I know where Moville is.

Her family lives in Redcastle. I must say, that is the prettiest place on earth I have ever been, and I have been a lot of places.

So you get your fretboards precut. Slotting for frets is what scares me to death. Keeping a hand saw perfectly straight just scares me. I have hand carved a strat style joint with a pocket knife before, so really that does not scare me, and my current project in the planning stage is a Neckthrough.

I am thinking buying limba, and maybe using some purpleheart wood for accent as a laminate neck with a limba body and Ebony Stewmac fretboard.

With the laminate, I could cheat on the routing, by making the truss rod trough built in.

Oh well, scheming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Man. I thought SGs and Vs were the ugliest guitars ever made, but put them together...
But I like SG's

The Dean headstock is truly a hideous idea. Although, I have often wondered if it could do the 3 stooges eye poke on a bassist....

My Life.

Last edited by thesteve; 11-24-2008 at 05:20 PM.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #54
Enginerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Agreed....blah.

guitarman531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #55
Mr. Insane

SGs and Flying-Vs aren't ugly in my book. But combine both of them together and add that hideous headstock, that's ugly.
insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 05:35 AM   #56
not so bright

SG's are ugly like a Boston Terrier...even though they're ugly, something attracts you to them and then once you've played with one it's tough to find a substitute.

Some of my gear.
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #57
Okagesama de genki desu

Dean's just seem to be made for the guys who can't make up their minds.
Do I want an SG, or a V... Do I want a V or an explorer... How bout both!

I actually really liked my Dean ML when I had it. It had a great fat tone to it. Plus I'm like 6'3 and it was nice playing a guitar that didn't look like a toy on me
Unread 11-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #58
rangerrick

Looks matter, but does it have a good personality?
rangerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #59
You Drive Me Nervous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4
Could I really take myself seriously playing a guitar like that for a country gig or a church service?
What do you think? how important are looks to you when picking out a guitar? If you found a guitar that played and sounded amazing, but you thought was hiddeous would that be a deal breaker for you?
Looks never bother me, if it plays nice I'll get it! If you like the guitar get it! The only type of guitar I hate to look at and refuse to buy is A Telecaster...But that's only because the only people who actually use them are country artists (and I hate country). If other people can't like your playing becaues your guitar looks awesome that's their problem, even if it is a church!.....I'm getting an Ibanez with a locking Trem on it and I plan on using it for my church, and guess what I'll actually use the whammy for the solos if and when it fits!

Last edited by googleymoogley; 11-30-2008 at 06:25 PM.
googleymoogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #60
better than I deserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleymoogley View Post
Looks never bother me, if it plays nice I'll get it! The only type of guitar I hate to look at and refuse to buy is A Telecaster...But that's only because the only people who actually use them are country artists (and I hate country) Anyway if you like the guitar get it! If other people can't like your playing becaues your guitar looks awesome that's their problem, even if it is a church!.....I'm getting an Ibanez with a locking Trem on it and I plan on using it for my church, and guess what I'll actually use the whammy for the solos if and when it fits!

John 5 plays country (he uses a tele)? Somebody should tell him...

Looks are in they eye of the guitar-holder.
A-Ro is offline   Reply With Quote