Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
Okagesama de genki desu

So I went back and played it again today just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and sure enough that guitar just blew me away. I tried every other Ibanez in the store and none of them felt as good as this one. I also tried a bunch of Gibsons, a couple Jacksons, a PRS and a Carvin. The only thing that came close to playing as cool as this guitar was the Carvin, so I might have to look into those too. I think it's something with the combination of maple neck through-body, with mahogany wings and the Dimarzio pickups. It's just got a deep solid tone to it. And the body feels so good to sit and play. It is balanced really well, especially to play sitting down. It rests perfectly on your leg without any weird balance issues.

I sat today for about an hour playing this guitar through a 1966 Fender Pro Reverb amp
It was definitely fun seeing the confused looks on faces as I played old country standards and funk riffs on this thing
Of course I have to consider that amp makes just about anything sound amazing, so I went and plugged into one of those Bogner Line 6 amps just to make sure. Yep, still awesome. I think there might be one of these in my future.
I think I lean a little more towards your view on this Mr. BillSPrestonEsq. I think it would be really fun to show up to a country gig with this guitar. I did once play a country gig with an Ibanez 7 string RG and a Mesa Mark IV... That was a fun night There's something fun about playing guitar gear in settings it was not meant to be played in.

Unread 11-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #17
heeeey brother

When you show up to the gig and people are originally turned off by the look, just turn them back on with your playing and sound.
Problem solved.
Unread 11-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #18
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Maybe it's just me, but I can't play a guitar that looks like this...
Attached Thumbnails
happy_star.jpg  

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
From God, no. From your church with some screaming about the heretics in there, yes. Many do just because you have a guitar player in the first place.
Then, uh, won't they leave anyways... I've played some more punk styled christian songs at my church and nobody has ever had a problem... and my church is filled with older people and very few kids... and only about four teens... If somebody has ever had a problem with just a guitar player being there than they are already just looking for something to complain about just to fill up their insecurity... so mainly just pray about it and for the people you think might object to it.

I've looked at that guitar and there are a ton of guitars out there with that same setup... so basically look around for a while and you''ll probably find one that you like. Personally to me it's not that bad... I personally wouldn't buy it but if it was an explorer, flying v, or even a dimebag design I probably would (even though I prefer LP/SG/ES-335 shapes) but do whatever, and pray about it.

I'd say try a Schecter Stiletto...

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC7rock View Post
Then, uh, won't they leave anyways... I've played some more punk styled christian songs at my church and nobody has ever had a problem... and my church is filled with older people and very few kids... and only about four teens... If somebody has ever had a problem with just a guitar player being there than they are already just looking for something to complain about just to fill up their insecurity... so mainly just pray about it and for the people you think might object to it.
True but that's your church. Imagine now your at a different church and the Pastor has a dress code do you come in jeans and Tee shirt because you are comfortable in it or submit to the Pastor's authorirty? In the original post the question is asked would this be appropiate for a country gig or playing his church. If it is in question I would say take the conservative route for playing in church.
taiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #21
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I can't play a guitar that looks like this...
If it has 6 strings and plays nice...

Call me a sellout, call me nuts, but the sillier the better within reason. If my guitar looks perfectly respectable, people might think I know what I am doing!

Or Metropolis4... I really have a hankering to build a neckthrough over the winter. If you want any crazy ideas... I am planning on building one. (A V actually, I think, sculpted in my own design. I have one kind of metal looking design , and 1 that the style will come off with a funky 50's vibe.)

Quote:
True but that's your church. Imagine now your at a different church and the Pastor has a dress code do you come in jeans and Tee shirt because you are comfortable in it or submit to the Pastor's authorirty? In the original post the question is asked would this be appropiate for a country gig or playing his church. If it is in question I would say take the conservative route for playing in church.
Personally, I would not want to go to a church with a dress code. And yes, if they demanded a tie or something, I would come in Jeans and a t-shirt into the congregation to see how I was treated. In my experience you are treated poorly, and it shows the church has serious problems. At that point, running is a good thing, because a church that has a dress code is one that is derelict in its duty most often to impact the world we live in.

And really, there is no moral issue to playing praise and worship on a funky looking guitar. Anyone who makes it one is living in self-righteousness.

Then again, I have seen mariachis played on a flying v in Mexico.

My Life.

Last edited by thesteve; 11-14-2008 at 10:36 PM.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
If it has 6 strings and plays nice...

Call me a sellout, call me nuts, but the sillier the better within reason. If my guitar looks perfectly respectable, people might think I know what I am doing!

Or Metropolis4... I really have a hankering to build a neckthrough over the winter. If you want any crazy ideas... I am planning on building one. (A V actually, I think, sculpted in my own design. I have one kind of metal looking design , and 1 that the style will come off with a funky 50's vibe.)
My old junior high music teacher used to play for his church with a PINK GUITAR... people laughed at first but after they heard it... looks didn't matter...

Unread 11-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Personally, I would not want to go to a church with a dress code. And yes, if they demanded a tie or something, I would come in Jeans and a t-shirt into the congregation to see how I was treated. In my experience you are treated poorly, and it shows the church has serious problems. At that point, running is a good thing, because a church that has a dress code is one that is derelict in its duty most often to impact the world we live in.

I'm not the man who made up the phrase "Sunday Best", I guess its a matter for the local church. Consider many will not allow a guitar, drums, bass, etc. The question becomes do we accept the authority of church elders, councils and Pastors. I would not say so many of our brothers and sisters have a serious problem. The services in which we are allowed are probably a minority of Saturdays and Sundays.

It is not our job to be out of order and take away from the experience of a specific church. As you said there are other churches we can attend, but if one does have a dress code or expect a certain look I do believe that we should submit and not exercise our individual will.
Unread 11-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #24

Guys... If were gonna keep this up, than put this in the Theology forum and take it out of the guitar one...

Unread 11-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
I'm not the man who made up the phrase "Sunday Best", I guess its a matter for the local church. Consider many will not allow a guitar, drums, bass, etc. The question becomes do we accept the authority of church elders, councils and Pastors. I would not say so many of our brothers and sisters have a serious problem. The services in which we are allowed are probably a minority of Saturdays and Sundays.

It is not our job to be out of order and take away from the experience of a specific church. As you said there are other churches we can attend, but if one does have a dress code or expect a certain look I do believe that we should submit and not exercise our individual will.
Many churches are also failing right now....correlation?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Many churches are also failing right now....correlation?
Even if it is do we not still accept the authority of our Pastor?

Besides I doubt churches with dress codes, which do not allow guitars or drums, CCM, urban gospel etc are losing members at any singnificantly different rate then churches with no stated opinion on how their praise leaders operate.
Unread 11-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Even if it is do we not still accept the authority of our Pastor?
If the pastor is telling the congregation to do things that aren't in, or are against Scripture, then yes.
Quote:
Besides I doubt churches with dress codes, which do not allow guitars or drums, CCM, urban gospel etc are losing members at any singnificantly different rate then churches with no stated opinion on how their praise leaders operate.
Not that success should be the guide, but from what I've read, among the most successful churches in the US are also churches with very modern appeal, because these are churches that tend to be more relevant to modern society.

Now, is it possible to be old fashioned AND relevant? Absolutely! But quite honestly I don't think a lot of churches are succeeding at doing both of these things.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 01:38 AM   #28
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I'm not the man who made up the phrase "Sunday Best"
Neither was Jesus, nor is it ever found in scripture. The idea is utterly alien to Christianity. Mostly its a display of wealth and status, in reality. How does it show respect to a man who told his followers to sell all that they had to give to the poor to dress up? Seriously, James even indicates disrespect for the poorly dressed as a problem in the first century, and James gets MUCH harsher than I would ever dare to get.

Quote:
I guess its a matter for the local church. Consider many will not allow a guitar, drums, bass, etc. The question becomes do we accept the authority of church elders, councils and Pastors.
No, thats not a reasonable question to ask at all. The reasonable question is what scripture says. There have been numerous heretics and cult leaders in the church who have made claims that perverted the text of scripture and claimed authority. If there is a problem with church doctrine and how the visible body of Christ treats people, that signifies erroneous doctrine. And when people are making up unbiblical rules, that is wrong. First ones we see, the book of Galatians was addressed to. Its the same story ever since.

Quote:
I would not say so many of our brothers and sisters have a serious problem. The services in which we are allowed are probably a minority of Saturdays and Sundays.
You know, I got kicked out of a church service once as a teen for wearing a tie, but not a suit coat in a hundred degree weather. Now, to make matters worse, I was actually a kid from a very broke family and I didn't own a coat. What message does that send? One of the first things I do when I visit a church that I am seriously considering is show up in tattered clothes without a shave and see how they treat people. I don't do the full homeless guy thing, but I have seen it done. I want to know how people treat Jesus, so I dress like the least of these. Its very eye opening.

You know, for a brief period in my college years I was homeless and living in my car. I had a job, but I lived in the back of my car for a few months. I worked in IT and such, but it takes a lot to pay for medical bills, college, and a place to stay. The salvation army gave me food and let me use a shower. Other than that, I got to see the ugly sides of a lot of churches. There IS a serious problem here. I got kicked out of a few churches on Sunday morning. I tried local churches. I stayed for that time at the one which welcomed me. But you see the lack of Christianity within the church when you are homeless. My favorite song during that time was a rich mullins tune. "You didn't have a home"

Quote:
Then it is not a doctrinally sound place. It is by its dress code teaching that God, like man looks on the outward appearance. In all honesty, a church like that would kick our Lord to the curb. He was a homeless wandering carpenter. Your attitude is one that will easily be led astray by a cult in that you are submitting to unbiblical, man made rules and regulations, just like the Pharisees of Jesus' day.

I believe submitting to such garbage is slapping our Lord in the face. No more, no less. Did Jesus die, so people would reject one another over a look? Is his blood that petty a thing to you?

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #29

You'll put your eye out with that thing !!

Personally, I don't even look at guitars that look like they are marketed specifically to a younger demographic (yeah, partly because I'm old) but to each his own. If it were me, on some level, I would probably feel a little self conscious playing it, which I think might inhibit my playing a bit.. Maybe another player might go in the opposite direction - playing an ax with aesthetics that may be perceived as incongruous in a particular context (style of music, age of player, church venue, etc.) may actually inspire the player to "push the envelope"...

Too many guitars, too little time.
Unread 11-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #30
Call me Dusty Hill

Send a message via AIM to Iceman-bass14
I love the looks of that guitar and no Im not a metalhead.(But I do like my occasional Dragonforce)Playability comes first with me,but looks do matter.To me playing something that looked like that wouldnt be too big of a deal.
Somewhere, a defensive coordinator just burst into tears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
If someone asked me if I wanted to listen to Slayer or get kneed in the groin I would honestly have to think about it.
Iceman-bass14 is offline   Reply With Quote