Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Amps & Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-30-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Chorus pedal mods...

so... I bought an EHX Nano Clone the other day... I like it, however it's a bit noisy and it's not TB so I was wondering if there were any way to mod it to fix the noisy-ness of it, make it a bit smoother, and make it TB...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
According to the EHX website, the Nano Clone is already TB.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Constantly growing

How are you powering the pedal? Could that be part of the noise issue?

As far as noise and hi-fi mods go, it would probably just be switching out a few capacitors although I wouldn't really know for sure since I have never seen the pedal before. That is my best guess.
surferdude9375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
...more machine than man.

What sort of noise are you getting?

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols View Post
What sort of noise are you getting?
kind of a white noise... and it cuts the volume bad.

and I've not found anywhere that say it is TB but if it is well then there's one down...

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 10-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by AX View Post
and I've not found anywhere that say it is TB but if it is well then there's one down...
http://www.ehx.com/products/nano-clone

first bullet point

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Sweet.

The noise can be heard on the video on that site, only it doesn't go away when you play when you're distorted... it always sounds like that... and it's loud and obnoxious too...

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 10-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX View Post
The noise can be heard on the video on that site, only it doesn't go away when you play when you're distorted... it always sounds like that... and it's loud and obnoxious too...
wow...that sounds bad...

Hifi mods would likely include replacing the opamp with a burr brown, upgrading the film caps to WIMA or AVX, and replacing any carbon film caps for metal film ones.

But, I noticed in the vid that the noise gets worse when the rate is increased...or was that just me? That could mean bad filtering on the modulation side of the circuit, or perhaps a poor PCB design that is allowing cross talk.

Add me on FaceBook

Unread 11-01-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols View Post
wow...that sounds bad...

Hifi mods would likely include replacing the opamp with a burr brown, upgrading the film caps to WIMA or AVX, and replacing any carbon film caps for metal film ones.

But, I noticed in the vid that the noise gets worse when the rate is increased...or was that just me? That could mean bad filtering on the modulation side of the circuit, or perhaps a poor PCB design that is allowing cross talk.
It definitely does gets worse as the rate increases... I've heard there is an adjustment screw inside the case that affects the noise... I'm gonna try messing with it... I mean, I love the effect itself, if it weren't so noisy i'd have no complaint. And when you're playing clean it's a very beautiful chorus, but when distorted it just gets nasty.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 11-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #10

Mark it with a sharpie before you adjust it, so you can get it back to where it started from.

Add me on FaceBook

Unread 11-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Success! There are two pots that adjust what I think is a filter. They are labeled Trim 1 and Trim 2. With a slight tweaking of Trim 1 and a major tweaking of Trim 2 I have effectively cut out all unwanted noise and got my pedal to sound amazing. There's still a cut in volume but not a super noticeable one... I'm happy.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 10-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
Success! There are two pots that adjust what I think is a filter. They are labeled Trim 1 and Trim 2. With a slight tweaking of Trim 1 and a major tweaking of Trim 2 I have effectively cut out all unwanted noise and got my pedal to sound amazing. There's still a cut in volume but not a super noticeable one... I'm happy.
This is interesting. I tried your suggested tweaks. Trim 2 appears to be what would be a "Depth" control if it was on the outside of the pedal. Not sure exactly what trim 1 does, You can definitely reduce the noise level, but you have to be willing to accept a less pronounced effect.
JonnyN is offline   Reply With Quote