Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #1

I need a new snare

I've playing drums for a year and a half now and the snare drum in my Pearl Forum series set isn't that great. I think that for Christmas this year I want to upgrade it. I have to do my research now so that when my grandparents ask me what I'd like I can tell them. I'd like a versatile snare that would work for rock, jazz and metal (the styles I play). I'm going to piece together a Vistalite drum set around it one drum at a time, but I don't want the snare to be a Vistalite. Obviously I really dig John Bonham's sound or I may not have been into the Vistalite thing.
My absolute maximum budget is $400, but I'd like to stay as close as I can to the $300-$350 used category.

This is the snare I'm thinking about right now, but if you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...rum?sku=446280

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Since it looks like you're in the market for a big snare, have you considered something vintage like a 60s Slingerland chrome-over-brass (COB)?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Since it looks like you're in the market for a big snare, have you considered something vintage like a 60s Slingerland chrome-over-brass (COB)?
Yeah, my Dad had one of those when he was in elementary school. I hadn't actually considered it until now, but I'll check it out.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
AudioAUnderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioAUnderdog View Post
Yeah, my Dad had one of those when he was in elementary school. I hadn't actually considered it until now, but I'll check it out.
My drummer has a late 60s Slingerland COB in 6.5" x 14". It has an absolutely massive tone to it due to the size and design. IIRC they are typically a 10 lug design (though I may be off...it may only be 8).

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #5

Pear Free floater

I think the pear free floater is the most versatile snare out there since you can swap out the shells to whatever you want. I have the 5x14 in brass and maple. Can't beat it. You can also get birch, steel and copper shells for it.