Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > CGR Members' Art, Music & Literature
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
The People's

Have you read Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" at all? If so, what did you think about it?

As for what I'm currently working on, besides Hooray for Gooba! and other little musical projects, I'm putting some time into a potential Question screenplay with Jeffrey. I still need to get my notes all together to e-mail back to you, by the way. Just need to find the time.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
Have you read Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" at all? If so, what did you think about it?
I enjoyed it, but it didn't stick with me. The things I liked in particular was his depiction of the tribe crossing the Bering Strait and the "new" gods (in name only, since they were personifications). I couldn't tell if his use of the various gods was supposed to be sly, as they seemed pretty obvious from first introduction. I am, perhaps (this is meant with humility) a reader with the same level of mythological knowledge as Gaiman, so he'd probably counter that what were "clues" for the average readers were obvious to me and if it had been about, say, famous footballers I wouldn't have had a clue.

I didn't mind the absence of Greek gods, but it was odd to have Norse and Egyptian gods, given that <i>no</i> immigrants brought the latter over, and the only bringing the Norse were that one group of the Norse in the time before Columbus. It seemed like Gaiman just wanted to play with those gods and wanted to weave a tale of America. In all honesty, more hoodoo/African gods would have made sense, and the general lack of Native American and Judeo-Christian spirits was...weird.

So, in essence, I enjoyed the novel but felt his ideas were undeveloped and the end was a bit unsatisfying. Gaiman, as a British citizen, doesn't understand the American soul as well as he seems to think. Alan Moore nailed us in <i>Watchmen</i>, except for that whole "chewing sugars" thing.

The idea that belief empowers deities first appears in <i>Sandman</i>, but Gaiman seemed to be influenced by Alan Moore's ideas of divinity.

Fortunately, my story isn't going to tread on the same locations and is more <i>Paradise Lost</i> or <i>Orlando Furioso</i> than <i>Sandman</i>.

The gods in my tale appear in a way that would please modern psychology.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #18
is growing up

Send a message via AIM to SupaNova
A friend once recommended American Gods to me, but I still haven't gotten around to picking up a copy. Actually, I haven't had the chance to read any of Gaiman's novels yet.

I've been working on and off on a long, fragmented poetic piece on the themes of I & II Samuel. Think Hebrew narrative meets the spaghetti western. It's an experiment more than anything else.

hard times in Rockingham, hard times harder still...
SupaNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
Taster of Pork!

I'm working on two series projects. One is entitled, 'Trouble Shooters' [crossover between Superbook/Flying House], and another called 'Space Daze.' [think Talespin in space, but with Organization XIII characters from KH].

I'm looking to expanding the production team and get some more writers, designers, drawers, or anybody else whose interested in joining in. I really could use all the help I can get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
Epic Clayail

I'm quite a ways into this silly verse novella, but I need a break. It's not sexy enough and I'm worried I'm rushing it.

So I'm working on a rendering of <i>The Epic of Gilgamesh</i>. David Ferry's version is good but in my opinion not so faithful or beautiful to deserve the currency it has -- it's just the only version that isn't full of lacunae and footnotes, focusing instead on the story. Yet it lacks a poetic depth, if I can be so bold. He does have wonderful phrases, but occasionally by deviating from the original text to a point where the poem is too much Ferry's. Ferry can't read a scrap of cuneiform, nor can I (okay, he and I both are familiar with certain words, phrases, and features of transliterated Mesopotamian languages) -- so if he had the guts to go for it, so do I.

I'm using a number of scholarly translations and commentaries and aiming for a simple poetic style that would be easily readable by high schoolers.

I'm done with the first tablet and I'm mentally exhausted. I may post it here on the Seeger.

Really, the impetus is that no easily-accessible public domain Gilgamesh is out there. I can't hope to compete with Ferry's in the marketplace, but I might be able to give folks access to this wondrous work.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 05-29-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #21

I am currently thinking on my 'Poem' . I would like to write a poem for my friend. But,I am still fetching ideas..

I'll keep you posted, whenever I am finish!
marky20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
gypsy queen

Working out the kinks in a spoken word poem to be used as the call to worship in my church's Pentecost service. Considering tackling something based on the Latin Mass.
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #23

You don't have to go into plot/creative details if you want to protect your ideas. Just mention briefly what you're working on. I'd be interested to hear some others.
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #24
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
ok im writing a novel.
Unread 04-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #25
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Starting to think more about what tracks I want to include on EP #1, since I'm looking to start recording this summer. So far the current list is 8 tracks, and it vacillates between 7 and 10. As I write more songs, I think about which ones would sound better on an album and help to maintain cohesiveness. As such, songs I previously had the list get moved over to my list of "singles".

Some tracks I definitely want to record (like "4/20", "Just Go", and "Doubt/Believe", but just don't think would either go with the theme of the EP, or wouldn't mesh well musically (high energy, low energy, overall style, etc.)

Also been experimenting with mic setup for recording. I'm pretty excited for how good of a sound I'm able to get when I'm just playing around (and with old strings). How much better could it become if I really fine tune it for serious recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #26

paid
Opened up an old instrumental project from 2012. Added bass and drums, re-mixing and re-mastering. Pretty excited to hear what I thought would never pass beyond "concept" becoming a "song".

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l9sBT-mvac

Quote:

Last edited by Ben Toast; 04-26-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Unread 09-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #27

i just finished a cd, i would really welcome opinions, not just on quality, but also on style and the general feel of it..
thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=CzMrtGH9kL4

Last edited by Ben Toast; 09-16-2015 at 07:13 AM. Reason: including fuller URL
onenewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #28

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenewman View Post
i just finished a cd, i would really welcome opinions, not just on quality, but also on style and the general feel of it..
thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=CzMrtGH9kL4
The recorded quality is fantastic.

Quote: