Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #76
Pearl plays her guitar

Or, why not a real used Fender? Take a look at a used MIJ Fender Strat. In most cases, I would take that over any partscaster. Keep in mind, it didn't take him $450 in parts to assemble that one; he'd be losing $$$ and time and effort.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #77
Poster Boy for G.A.S

Send a message via AIM to Joseiy
Ok it was always my Opinion that Mexican Fenders were on the same level as Epiphones are. Is this true?

I thought I had GAS...I'm nominating you for the official poster boy.
Electric Guitars Fender Highway One Telecaster
Amps Vox AC15 W/ Jensen Modtone, Crate V50
Effects Korg Pitchblack, SBN BDAB ,SBN Lil Eagle, EHX Holy Grail
Powered by a Visual Sound 1 Spot,
Joseiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #78
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseiy View Post
Ok it was always my Opinion that Mexican Fenders were on the same level as Epiphones are. Is this true?
Only with respect to how their product lines are established. But, I don't think you can compare the guitars - they're too different. However, to compare apples to apples, I would say MIJ is to MIM Fenders as Epiphone Elitist is to Epiphone. Some would argue that the MIJ's could be even better than the MIA's. I wouldn't say that unequivocally, but, then again, my MIJ is over 20 years old.

Check this guy out:
Unread 09-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #79
Poster Boy for G.A.S

So is the American Standard Strat pretty much the best bang for the buck way to go in Strat Land?

Unread 09-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #80

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Dude, seriously, mighty mite and all parts stuff or a real fender for very similar prices...
This is the boat I sit in.

I understand digging the relic'd finish. My mid 80's MIJ Fender Strat has it's own dings and the character that comes with it. Same goes for my much newer Jazz V, and from what I've heard if can be quite difficult to get a good looking relic on a poly-finished Fender guitar.

As Hopeful pointed out, if you want an authentic Fender with some natural bumps and dings, don't be afraid of a early/mid 1980's MIJ.

My gut reaction to this guy's relic's guitars is this:
why is he selling them for $450? What is the backstory here? I don't mean to discount his business, but it doesn't make sense to wreck vintage parts in order to sell them on an assembled guitar below the market value for the parts disassembled.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #81
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
So is the American Standard Strat pretty much the best bang for the buck way to go in Strat Land?
If you can get one for a good price, the MIA Standard is a phenomenal guitar. I finally got one this year and haven't ever looked back. However, it all depends on what you want. Do you want a guitar that will last you possibly your entire lifetime if you treat it well, or do you want a guitar that'll last you until you get the guitar that'll last your entire lifetime? Granted, what type that lifetime guitar is is up to you, but the MIA Standard will certainly last that long if you let it. These things are built really well. If you want a real Fender, just buy a real Fender .

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #82
Poster Boy for G.A.S

What about the Highway One Strats? What do you guys think about them?
*edit*
Also G&L guitars have caught my eye. Especially those Teles with the weird looking P90s in them..... What do you guys know about those?

Last edited by Joseiy; 09-18-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Unread 09-19-2008, 06:38 AM   #83
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
But couldn't that also be considered a cool quirk that adds character?

MIghty Mite and All Parts are bad?
They do sell a level of cheap bodies and necks that are no better than Squier guitars.
If that's your thing, go buy a Squier Standard and drag it around behind a car for a few miles...
You'll save a lot of money.

Quote:
What about the Highway One Strats? What do you guys think about them?
*edit*
Also G&L guitars have caught my eye. Especially those Teles with the weird looking P90s in them..... What do you guys know about those?
Highway One Fenders are decent but I'm not a fan of the older model's finish...too gummy feeling, sort of like the "worn" Gibsons.
The newer models seem a little nicer.

G&L guitars are quality axes. Not the Tribute guitars...those are hit and miss imports...but genuine G&L guitars can rival or better their Fender counterparts.

youtube
facebook
cd baby

Last edited by thesteve; 09-19-2008 at 08:40 AM.
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #84
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
That depends on how much you want to spend and what you want. For instance, there's a lot of excitement over the Eric Johnson Strats, but those are over $1,700. The Hot Rods are also very nice for $1,600+. However, I don't think you would be complaining too much about those guitars. If you want the SCN pickups, you have to go with the American Deluxe and they're like $1,200+. Bang for the buck is relative to your budget and if you wanna buy new or used.

As far as G&L goes, listen to Dave and don't confuse the Tribute line which is made in Asia with the US Lines. I'll say this about G&L, they make gorgeous guitars. You could get a Tribute pretty cheap on eBay and I think you might be better off than with a MIM Fender. I owned a G&L Legacy for a while, but I could not really get into it. Although the birdseye maple neck was awesome to look at, it did not fit as well as my Fender necks and the pickups were noisy to me. The guy I sold it to loves it, but he did swap out the pickups for Lindy Fralins to make it better. I sold it because it was not being played enough to keep it. However, that would be a personal choice that you have to make yourself. $500 to $600 for a used Legacy is about right and will generally be better than the Tribute Legacy. The one thing I have found out is that Fender retains more of its value than G&L when I look at the resale market. You really have to go out and play the guitars yourself because another man's poison is another one's medicine. That way, you're not influenced by the marketing or by someone's subjective comment.

Check this guy out:
Unread 09-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #85
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
This is the boat I sit in.

I understand digging the relic'd finish. My mid 80's MIJ Fender Strat has it's own dings and the character that comes with it. Same goes for my much newer Jazz V, and from what I've heard if can be quite difficult to get a good looking relic on a poly-finished Fender guitar.

As Hopeful pointed out, if you want an authentic Fender with some natural bumps and dings, don't be afraid of a early/mid 1980's MIJ.

My gut reaction to this guy's relic's guitars is this:
why is he selling them for $450? What is the backstory here? I don't mean to discount his business, but it doesn't make sense to wreck vintage parts in order to sell them on an assembled guitar below the market value for the parts disassembled.
I have actually relicd a bass with really good results with nitro and really, its quite ridiculously easy to do. I used ultra fine sandpaper to simulate wear on the cut for your arm. a few well placed bumps, and some tung oil to cover the exposed wood and you can make a guitar look like its been played 30 years. Personally, I would never do that to my guitars. A couple ARE relics, but they came by it honestly and are 30+ years old.

My personal favorite option for a relic, is to buy a really old, beat up, quality guitar, restore its functionality, and clean up its aesthetics as best you can, and Voila, relic. Or use warmoth parts. Its really easy to do a finish for a relic, because if you mess a spot or two up, relic over it and it looks planned.

Personally, I far prefer a nice looking, well cared for guitar. That never goes out of style. Will some of my guitars turn into relics over time? Maybe. I kind of hope to have the time to wear the finish off a few necks playing.

If you just want a strat sounding guitar on the cheap, go with an MIA Peavey strat clone. Quality will fall above a mexi strat and asian imports, but below an MIA strat generally. ~$165 with shipping, and if its a plus to you, a lot of them have chipped, semi relic'd finishes already. add in some SCN Pickups, and you would be looking at $300, around the price point of a MIM fender. (but the stock pickups are nice enough and playable.)

Another option is getting a carvin bolt kit and a jar of tung oil. Really nice, natural finished guitar for around 350.

Please note that any kit options I am mentioning are MIA, high quality and can be assembled in no time and do not require much skill at all.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #86
Poster Boy for G.A.S

Ok so this just popped up on Craigslist. What do you guys think? http://greensboro.craigslist.org/msg/847811907.html
*Edit*
Just realized it was a broken neck. Wow those guitars look weird.........