Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > T
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this album, with 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest
1 0 0%
2 1 12.50%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 12.50%
6 0 0%
7 3 37.50%
8 3 37.50%
9 0 0%
10 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG_SOBand View Post
what all songs are one it?
1. "One Light Town"
2. "Anymore"
3. "Big Man"
4. "Foot In My Mouth"
5. "Hidden Track"
6. "I Fell In Something"
7. "Christmas Song"
8. "If The Devil Was a Man"

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
Call me Dusty Hill

Send a message via AIM to Iceman-bass14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseiy View Post
Matt Maher and Chris Tomlin did.......
Thats what i was thinking.So in essence its safe to say that Chris Tomlin did (co)write Your Grace is Enough.
Somewhere, a defensive coordinator just burst into tears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
If someone asked me if I wanted to listen to Slayer or get kneed in the groin I would honestly have to think about it.
Iceman-bass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-bass14 View Post
Thats what i was thinking.So in essence its safe to say that Chris Tomlin did (co)write Your Grace is Enough.
My understanding was the Maher wrote it, and Tomlin simply made changes....but I could have made that idea up.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #19
Pearl plays her guitar

I don't think of it as being his "worst" or anything like it. It has some elements of what we expect from him, but a few songs are not his typical style - hence, it's different. It could be he is trying to step out of his past "Chris Tomlin/Passion" mode and is taking another approach to music. It might not be for everyone, especially if you like the old Chris.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG_SOBand View Post
Many of times, I hear about how he really doesn't interact.. and when watching a television special with him as a speaker.. They would ask him question, and he just seems so High on himself.. and very very short with people.. if it is possible i will find that Special and let everyone watch.. Believe me.. i was a TOMLIN fan for a long time, a really long time.. but watching him.. going to his concerts.. meeting him backstage Twice.. he just seems so.. BLAH.. on the other hand, Jesse and Daniel are very very friendly and open.. As is David and his whole band. Both times i saw chris backstage he would sit back with a Unhappy look on his face.. Sorry if you guys got offended but its my person feelings
Ah, but notice the implication there. "I FEEL it, so it doesn't matter if it's true. I can repeat it as much as I want, because I FEEL it's true, even though it damages a man's reputation."

Maybe you're expecting too much. When I saw Five Iron Frenzy in concert, most of the band hung around and chatted with fans. Reese Roper, their lead singer, didn't. At first, I was disappointed. But I realized as I stood there interacting with other band members that Reese may be tired of chatting with fans, may not be feeling well, or what have you. I think I briefly idolized him and thought he might want to talk with me - and every other person like me who came to the show - as much as I wanted to talk to him.

In our modern Western culture, we often attempt to "possess" artists. I was this way for quite some time. Now, most of the artists I admire most (Tom Waits, Henry Rollins, Stephin Merritt, Reese Roper) I probably wouldn't talk to if I saw them in person unless the circumstance made it brief and polite. They don't "owe" me.

But sometimes I think we feel artists owe us. We make their art such a part of our lives, we invite their thinking into our Idea Space so much we assume that it's they that are with us. We presume a friendship that doesn't exist.

Tomlin is frequently touring, and he encounters numerous people who want to chat.

I still think the whole modern worship leader phenomenon scares me, but I hope I was able to defend Tomlin a bit. He doesn't owe any of his fans a one-on-one conversation. When you're on the road, you're tired. A fan who has been sleeping in their own bed shows up at the show fully-rested, eager to meet someone they've been admiring for some time. The artist just wants to perform their art to the best of their ability and maintain enough strength for the next performance.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #21

I haven't listen to this CD so no comment yet, but just to set the record straight for those of you who seem to think that Chris Tomlin wrote "Amazing Grace" you are sadly mistaken. I've been singing this song since my cradle days, longer than Chris has been alive. John Newton wrote the orig. words except for "My Chains Are Gone" chorus, and the orig tune was by someone else. So how you can say he wrote this song I think you need to go back and check your facts. Please don't get me wrong this is one of my favorite songs. What Chris did with it is fab. But please give credit where credit is due.
atkersonl is offline   Reply With Quote