Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
I'm forgiven.

Send a message via Yahoo to Guitarman121319
Can you qustion the lord?

A friend said you can't, but I don't see where it says you can't. I do however see where it says not to question Gods authority. I can't say the verse, because I don't remember where it is. But what do you think.

I also recall someone asking God to make it rain every where, except on the rug he placed. Than only on the rug.

Guitarman121319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #2

I have heard that you shouldn't because God has a reason for everything and if you ask him what that reason is, he might show you.
maeroxursox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
I'm forgiven.

Well, if someone has died you might have a doubt that its for the good. So you will ask why.
Unread 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
It's not easy being green

To ask God "why"? I think that's perfectly acceptable. To assume God screwed up and question His wisdom in allowing something to happen? No.
Unread 08-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman121319 View Post
A friend said you can't, but I don't see where it says you can't. I do however see where it says not to question Gods authority. I can't say the verse, because I don't remember where it is. But what do you think.

I also recall someone asking God to make it rain every where, except on the rug he placed. Than only on the rug.
I think you may question, but to question God's authority is another thing.

You'll find the story about the fleece in the book of Judges. But really, it would be to your benefit not to depend on another person's opinion (or even commentary) solely on this or any biblical matter. That would mean you would have to read your Bible for yourself and get to know God and His will. I find this is the best way to even attempt to understand this great God of ours. However, commentaries can be helpful in understanding the context of the times when the various books of the Bible were written. I've found that many times, it's difficult to understand the books of the Bible from a modern day perspective without help from people who have knowledge of Biblical times.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #6

Well, there are examples of Biblical charaters questioning God.

Genesisi 18 comes to mind. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...=18&version=31

Moses also questions God in Exodus 3

It could be argued that Jesus himself even questions the father in Matthew 27:46 "Eloi, Eloi,[a] lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

I think it is biblically OK to question God's actions.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to theekevy
God is questioned often in the Bible, and sometimes it is presented as a good thing, other times it isn't. Gideon shows a great lack of faith in his questioning God to show him a fancy trick. In other areas where God is questioned (Psalms, the prophets, even Jesus [he is actually quoting Psalm 22, btw]), it is not a faithless complaint to God that asserts one's authority over God and calls Him into account.
theekevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
I'm forgiven.

Thanks, and I found this on a site:

At issue is not whether we should question God, but in what manner—and for what reason—we question Him. To question God is not in itself wrong. The prophet Habakkuk had questions for God concerning the timing and agency of the Lord’s plan. Habakkuk, rather than being rebuked for his questions, is patiently answered, and the prophet ends his book with a song of praise to the Lord. Many questions are put to God in the Psalms (Psalms 10, 44, 74, 77). These are the cries of the persecuted, who are desperate for God’s intervention and salvation. Although God does not always answer our questions in the way we want, we conclude from these passages that a sincere question from an earnest heart is welcomed by God.

Insincere questions, or questions from a hypocritical heart, are a different matter. “He that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6). After King Saul had disobeyed God, his questions went unanswered (1 Samuel 28:6). It is entirely different to wonder why God allowed a certain event than it is to directly question God's goodness. Having doubts is different from questioning God's sovereignty and attacking His character. In short, an honest question is not a sin, but a bitter, untrusting, or rebellious heart is. God is not intimidated by questions. God invites us to enjoy close fellowship with Him. When we "question God," it should be from a humble spirit and open mind. We can question God, but we should not expect an answer unless we are genuinely interested in His answer. God knows our hearts, and knows whether we are genuinely seeking Him to enlighten us. Our heart attitude is what determines whether it is right or wrong to question God.
Unread 08-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
I'm forgiven.

Y'all all answered my question.
Unread 08-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman121319 View Post

Mat 7:7 "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
Mat 7:8 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.

FYI, this asking, seeking, and knocking is a continuous action, not a one time deal. Furthermore, I don't believe that this is simply about asking God for a blessing either. This verse covers every situation where we come to God and I believe that this always pleases God for even if we come to Him questioning Him about the way He does things, it is still a sign of great faith that we come. The rubber hits the road when He gives us the answer and we don't like it.

Chris
comitatus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
I'm forgiven.

Thanks, I just wanted a few ways to put it to the friend thanks again.

I am also going top say this verse:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 4:2
You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God.