Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #1

Anyone else not like listening to themself?

So, any other vocalists here not like hearing yourself over a video recording? When singing live (like in church or something like that) my voice sounds just like it always does in my own skull, but if someone records it with a camcorder or something my skin crawls as I hear myself singing. Not because im off key, or doing anything musically incorrect, but rather it's the sound that im not liking It just sounds funny to me, but then again i've never liked hearing myself on recordings whether it be talking or singing.

Oh, one more thing i wanted to talk about on this thread thats not related; Ok, i used to use this microphone made by Vtech right? It was ok, sounded pretty good run through the mixer actually. BUT, i bought a Shure SM57 to mic my non-electric acoustic guitar through (SM57 is made primarily for instruments, the SM58 is the actual full blown vocal mic) and one day I thought "eh, what the heck" and used it to sing a song with. I gotta say, I love that thing! It catches the natural vibrato of my voice when I dont even know im doing it! Its very fluid and silky sounding. I highly recommend any other vocalists here to consider upgrading your mic if your using one of questionable quality. It also makes enunciating words less of a challenge.

3rdCrossBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I'm not a singer, but just FYI, the SM57 makes an excellent vocal mic. The SM57 and SM58 actually have very similar frequency responses and I've read that they are basically the same microphone with different windscreens and slightly different frequency responses.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #3

Boy, i believe it too. I didn't think that mic selection would make that much difference. IT actually makes voice articulation, vibrato, and enunciation so much less effort.
Unread 08-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Destructor!

Send a message via AIM to DJ Clown
I think its natural not to like your singing voice while listening to it when its recorded...Like in videos and stuff.

THAT IS FINAL

Up and running again...
My music thread

Ibanez RG1570L Prestige
Crate GT65
Digitech RP50
DJ Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
M-I-Z...Z-O-U!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah i cant listen to myself recorded
Unread 08-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
now has an Xkcer Woman

Send a message via ICQ to Xkcer Man Send a message via AIM to Xkcer Man Send a message via MSN to Xkcer Man Send a message via Yahoo to Xkcer Man
The more you listen to yourself the more you'll get used to how you sound. The difference, sympathetic vibrations in your skull, makes you sound different to yourself than everyone else.
Unread 08-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #7

Lol, yeah i sound so much better in my head :P

So anyways, I went and did some more recording last night just to experiment. I was curious if singing in different ranges would make a difference. It didn't. I actually was satisfied with how most of the sets turned out. I've noticed that my voice will emit a richer vibrato in the lower key range but does not have the same level of presence/power that it does in the high range. I also use air faster singing in the lower range, so I have to adjust my breath spots in the song. No biggie, just a couple logistical changes
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Is saying goodbye!

Send a message via AIM to The wirerat
I have used the Shure mics extensively at my church, where I work with the sound ministry. I have found that the SM57 has extensive versatility both in front of a singer and as an instrument mic. It is an excellent mic for churches on a small budget that have a tendency for instrument and singer change for services.
Unread 08-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
I hate hearing my own voice. And without a backing track to listen to, I cant sing my notes worth a crap, lol.

Its funny though, because out of a praise team of 6 people, i can hear my voice blaring out of the speaker on stage, and it doesnt bother me at all. Its only recorded that it bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Father, save him

Send a message via Skype™ to Gods*Armygirl
I'm the same. I don't have as much of a problem listening to myself if I'm singing live or whatever, but I really don't like listening to my voice when it's recorded. You're not alone.

i iz waching. always waching.
G*AG's poems
-------> Journal <-------
"How else but through a broken heart may Lord Christ enter in?"
Come here
Gods*Armygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I think hating your recorded voice is a pretty common thing... though live... i like my live voice....

The SM58 is a formidable live mic, however, I wouldn't record with it...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #12

+1 for hating my recorded voice.
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote