Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
1 John 4:17

"Just sound like yourself" - what does that mean?

I've heard a lot of people on here say things like, don't try to emulate other people, just sing the way you sing, or just sing with your own voice. What does that mean? That doesn't really make sense to me. Isn't it normal to hear someone you like and try to do what they do? That seems normal to me. Any thoughts?

Acoustic:
Taylor 814CE Acoustic Guitar

Electric:
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Godin/Seagull Man

I might try to copy someone's vocal technique but not their exact sound. Even then, you have to be careful that you are copying good technique. Not every professional singer has good technique.

The reason I think you shouldn't copy someone else's voice exactly is that every person has a unique sound due to their unique physiology. Trying to sound like someone else could result in bad technique because you are trying to get your voice to sound like something that it is not naturally designed to sound like.

My other resistance to trying to sound like someone else is for artistic reasons. When I sing I want to express myself in a way that is uniquely me. That doesn't prohibit me from getting ideas from others but I still want the final product to be me.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I've heard a lot of people on here say things like, don't try to emulate other people, just sing the way you sing, or just sing with your own voice. What does that mean? That doesn't really make sense to me
To an extent I agree with you. My voice can sound lots of different ways. And if I'm able to sing exactly like some famous artist, that's still my voice.

Quote:
Isn't it normal to hear someone you like and try to do what they do? That seems normal to me. Any thoughts?
I would try to avoid impersonating your favorite singer, but you can try and sing in their style. Singing in different styles and ranges will help you discover where you sound best. However, trying to do you best impersonating of that person is probably not a good idea.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Felonious Misdamenor

It is OK to let your influences come through but, personally, I hate to hear a mimic - even a really good one. In two notes I can tell who the mimic's favorite (fill in the blank) is, and I'm turned off. Why would I want to listen to someone else when I can hear the original?

Each person is different. Each person has their influences, likes, dislikes, etc. Add all those in together, mix them with a healthy dose of you, and you will have your own style and voice. The more you do it, the easier it is to find that voice as you are becoming what you will be as you search to better what you are.
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
To me, sounding like yourself means sounding comfortable with your voice. Everyone has their own range and tone at where their own voice sounds the best, and finding that precise vocal quality might mean divorcing yourself a bit from artists that you like, because your voice might just not match that.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I've heard a lot of people on here say things like, don't try to emulate other people, just sing the way you sing, or just sing with your own voice. What does that mean? That doesn't really make sense to me. Isn't it normal to hear someone you like and try to do what they do? That seems normal to me. Any thoughts?
Yeah, big time... Stop copying other people and find a key and tone that sounds more like how you talk... It took me a long time to figure this out... also learn proper breathing techniques because you won't begin to "find your voice" until you learn how to get comfortable...

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote