Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Pyro-Hippie

In dire need of some advice...

So I will be auditioning to sing for this big thing on Saturday. I'm supposed to sing a stanza of "Amazing Grace" and a song of my choice, a capella. I am quite nervous as I have never done anything like this before, so I really don't know what to expect. And I've no idea where or how I can find a good song that I can sing that will sound good without instrumental accompaniment, let alone that it will show off my vocal range and such. I thankyouthankyouthankyou for any input on this as far as what to expect and how to prepare for it, and any other whatevers you think might be helpful.

Unread 07-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
If it helps, you really do have a lovely voice. Be confident!

Make sure you pick a song in a comfortable key. What you should sing depends on what you're auditioning for, I think. What is this "big thing"?

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Pyro-Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
If it helps, you really do have a lovely voice. Be confident!

Make sure you pick a song in a comfortable key. What you should sing depends on what you're auditioning for, I think. What is this "big thing"?
I am auditioning for a position on a (really good) worship team as a vocalist. And I was just informed that I'll have a lot of competitors...
Unread 07-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Pyro-Hippie

Alright, so here's my plan so far.

I've looked up a bunch of videos of other "Amazing Grace" capellas for some ideas, which was extremely helpful. So I have the first and second verses of Amazing grace memorized, the first one being sung in a particular way. I may just make up the second as it comes if I can't settle on anything.

As for the song of my choice, it would probably really impress my auditioner(s) way much more if I sing something that I wrote, even though none of my eligible songs really emphasize the vocals, I think I can get that to work.

As for building enough self confidence that I won't compress my voice by getting too nervous and quiet, I guess that will come as I become more confident that I've practiced enough and it sound good and I know it back and forth, but any other input on that is appreciated, as I've struggled with that my whole life and therefore don't have any other known musical background. I'm 16 now, I can't procrastinate much longer.

I may make a recording for you guys to critique if I have time. So does my plan sound good? I really want to kick butt with my performance, so if anyone can think of anything at all that I can improve, big or small, please let me know!
Unread 07-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Stress is your enemy when you're on the spot. Relax, breathe, and try to practice your vocal tone, so that you know exactly how you want to sound for the judges. I also think if you do choose to sing something you wrote, let it show off things like range, tone, breath support, flexibility, pitch, timing, and so on. Go for less repetitive, more substance in the vocal part.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote