Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Violin player/Animal fan!

Thumbs up Electric Violins Rock!

Do you play electric violin? I do!
I am curious to see how many of you are electric violin players( or violin players in general).
Post pics of your violins!
Or if you are curious about the violin, this is the place to post.

This cross sits atop a hill, towering over the valley where I live.
My father built this cross and carried it up and set it into place.
This cross reminds my family and me everyday ''that by His stripes we are healed''.
We shall not fear sickness or disease, we shall stand with much faith in our hearts and say,'' We will not tolerate these evil works of the evil one, but stand firm in our faith and be healed in Jesus name.''
Through our lives living on this earth we will have faith and trust in Jesus' everlasting promises.
''Jesus Christ is the same yesterday,
today, and forever.-Hebrews 13:8
Emyv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Formerly Registered User

the violin looks too hard for me... I'll stick with guitar
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam42 View Post
the violin looks too hard for me... I'll stick with guitar
They seem pretty similar in principle. You use one hand to set the string(s) into motion (with a plectrum or bow or your fingers) and use your other fingers to change the pitch by pressing the string(s) against a fingerboard or fretboard.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Formerly Registered User

yes, in principle, otherwise.... just seems complicated to know which string your on and not screw up...
Unread 10-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #5

I'm getting a violin soon. I might get an electric one now that I know they even exist.

I hear the violin's harder to play because there aren't any frets and the strings are curved instead of parallel with the neck. Any truth to this, or any other reasons that the violin is harder?

Also, does anyone know a good site to buy electric violins/normal ones? I would prefer the electric to look like a normal, acoustic one, but whatever's fine.

Whoops, might be a bit of a necropost. Whatever.
Nirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
my title is... i dunno.

i used to take violin. it is hard. my wrist was aching, and i wouldn't practice, so i quite. but now i might have a better chance because i'm more hard working(music wise). there are no frets, unless you are really young. when i was seven i ot stickers on the "fretboard". but then i quite and then started again at 10, but didn't practice.

you have to have a really good ear to play it, and a strong wrrist, and arms that won't die if you keep them upright for a while.

posture...

sorry, i'm not trying to scare you about it...
taykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #7

Haha, well it's too late now. I already ordered it. I just got some cheap, unheard of brand to start out with - it's even like half as cheap as the FirstAct ones... the violin plus the bow plus the case was only $80. It does sound like a hard instrument to play, though. I guess a challenge would be good, though, since I have a lot of free time on my hands...

I looked at electric violins, and apparently they're a good deal more expensive than electric guitars. With guitars, you can gig with a good $500 or $600 instrument. With violins, you can't gig unless you have like a $1500 one. So I'm going to try to get better until I order one of these.
Nirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirc View Post
I'm getting a violin soon. I might get an electric one now that I know they even exist.

I hear the violin's harder to play because there aren't any frets and the strings are curved instead of parallel with the neck. Any truth to this, or any other reasons that the violin is harder?

Also, does anyone know a good site to buy electric violins/normal ones? I would prefer the electric to look like a normal, acoustic one, but whatever's fine.

If you are a good musician you can actually mess around with it for a while and find the notes... It's actually not that hard... I was playing stuff the second time I ever picked it up...

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #9

Quote:
I looked at electric violins, and apparently they're a good deal more expensive than electric guitars. With guitars, you can gig with a good $500 or $600 instrument. With violins, you can't gig unless you have like a $1500 one. So I'm going to try to get better until I order one of these.
Not true dude... check this out..

http://band-orchestra.musiciansfrien...fit?sku=470404

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Jamming with the Lamb

I will be buying an electric violin in August for myself as a my birthday gift. I am going electric because of my specific practice environment: my home. My only time to practice my music is after my kids go to bed, so I need QUIET instruments. Electric solves that. That being said, electric violins can still be heard, even when unplugged, but they are half the volume of a muted acoustic.

I have read that electric violins can be "easier" to play than acoustic models. You certainly don't have to play as hard to get the pickups to register your note. You can then plug your electric into any piece of guitar equipment and make use of those effects.

Lotsa different instruments
caeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:

Quote:
Haha, well it's too late now. I already ordered it. I just got some cheap, unheard of brand to start out with - it's even like half as cheap as the FirstAct ones... the violin plus the bow plus the case was only $80. It does sound like a hard instrument to play, though. I guess a challenge would be good, though, since I have a lot of free time on my hands...

You can get fretted violins and they come cheaper than that. Cheack out www.woodviolins.com
Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #12

I dont have a picture of mine on my computer but I just got a new one and it's a sweet white Fender =)
NkiHurdle is offline   Reply With Quote