Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Taster of Pork!

Me again doing regular singing.

Here's two audio clips of me singing parts of Dead Poetic's "A Green Desire" [only chorus and buildup]

Once again, more critiquing.
Attached Files
File Type: wav A Green Desire - buildup.wav (957.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: wav A Green Desire - chorus.wav (365.9 KB, 43 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Not bad actually... first.... build up some confidence... you sound kinda nervous... second make sure you're getting good breath support... you're on key but by the end of those clips it sounded a bit like you were struggling... keep practicing though and post longer clips... maybe some with some music...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Just read your UC... try singing in front of a mirror... look yourself in the eyes... great way to do it.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Godin/Seagull Man

You might want to work on getting some more sustain in your voice. Breath support will help with this. Try to hold your vowels out without closing them until the end of the note.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Taster of Pork!

How do you get more sustain in your voice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerRocks2day View Post
How do you get more sustain in your voice?
Singing differs from talking in that the vowels are sustained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Breath support will help with this. Try to hold your vowels out without closing them until the end of the note.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
Build up:
It sounds like you have pretty good tone and an open mouth, however, you sometimes go completely out of tune and it sounds unsupported (evidence being, the wobbling in your voice and the pitch problems). So, work on your breath support. When you inhale, does your stomach start expanding a bit? (And when you exhale, does your stomach collapse?) Make sure your stomach expands; the reason it is expanding is because your diaphragm is on top of all of your abdominal organs, but below your lungs/ribcage. (Imagine a When the diaphragm pulls down, your lungs fill with air, and the abdominal organs are displaced to make room for the diaphragm/air. So, in order to make room for the most air, you want your diaphragm to go as low as possible; also, in this position, your diaphragm will have better control over your air supply and you'll be able to better support your tone and control your singing. If you inhale and also implode your stomach, then you are cutting off a lot of the air you could be getting. In breathing this way, you should be able to produce really loud sounds; for example, when you laugh, your diaphragm is usually acting in this way.

If you're having difficulty controlling your inhales and exhales, try laying down on your back and focusing on your breathing.

Also, to increase the amount of breath in which you can take, try this exercise:
1.) Exhale for four counts
2.) Inhale for four counts
3.) Pronounce the syllable "tsssss" and try to exhale all air within four counts.
4.) Inhale for four counts
5.) Pronounce the syllable "tsssss" and try to exhale all air within eight counts.
6.) Inhale for four counts
7.) Pronounce the syllable "tsssss" and try to exhale all air within 12 counts.
8.) Inhale for four counts
9.) Pronounce the syllable "tsssss" and try to exhale all air within 18 counts.
10.) Inhale for four counts
11.) Pronounce the syllable "tsssss" and try to make your air last as long as it can; count in your head until your run out of air.

Again, do the above on your back if you can't control the breathing. If you've been breathing the incorrect way while singing, you won't get it right the first time; just keep practicing and it'll start coming to you. It's pretty hard to reverse habit.

Also, a more fun exercise could be trying to sing your favorite song for as long as possible within one breath. Or, try to take out breaths between the first and second phrases and between the third and fourth phrases. My friend and I used to compete with each other in choir by trying to sing as much as possible of one giant phrase in one breath. (We were choir nerds, what can I say? ).

--

Chorus:
"and I will, meet you" - on the "I", I think you're falling a bit under the pitch; also, your tone sounds strained and the air doesn't seem to be flowing free from your voice. In order to correct this, you'll need to work on your falsetto (or head voice) and your breath support.

Also, you're a bit under pitch on most of your notes when you're coming down from the high point in the phrase (the "I"). When you come down from the pitches, just think "up". Weirdly enough, a lot about singing is entirely mental. If you just think up your pitch will go up. Also, do the same thing when you are going up to the "I"; imagine that your pitch is going up. If you want a really technical exercise to practice this sort of thing, try practicing singing scales and arpeggios and/or any other exercise that goes all the way up a scale and then all the way back down. So, for example, start on middle C, sing a C major scale, then go to C#, sing a C# major scale. Although, since you're a guy, it'd probably be easier to start on something much lower in your range. Go slowly at first, and make sure you're hitting the right pitch on each note.

Going back to what I said about restrained tone; your goal should be to open your voice up so that it resonates as much as possible without sacrificing the style of music you're going for. Resonance is sound bouncing around inside your body, and good resonance results in a nice, warm, loud tone. An analogy would be to that of an acoustic guitar; in a guitar, the strings are plucked over a sound hole and the sound resonates within the big empty space that is the guitar. In your voice, your vocal chords (strings) vibrate and resonate within your body cavities (your chest, your throat, the space inside your mouth and even your sinuses). From listening to this clip, it sounds like something you are doing is tightening the channel through which the sound can go through (probably some muscles in your throat). In short, you want to open up those areas of resonance which you can control: your throat and your mouth. One way you can work on this is to lift your soft palate, or what some people call vellum? Anyway, take a yawn. Now, the soft palate is that big stretch of skin that lifted up in the back of your throat. That's what you want to lift when you're singing, because it'll create a big space in the back of your throat. Also, another way is to use more open vowels, but this is what I am sort of referring to when I say, sacrificing your style: you don't necessarily want to use the same vowels that classical singers use, but you don't want to totally close them either, or else you'll lose pitch and tone. I'll explain more if you like but I feel like I've typed enough here for now.

Also, google lots about men's falsetto; essentially, in falsetto voice, I believe that you should be resonating within your head areas; whereas in your lower register, you should be resonating within your chest cavity. If you try to sing high notes but resonate in the chest cavity, the sound will be restrained. I don't really know that much about men's voices though, so I can't really give any more advice on that point. Edit: actually just kidding, I don't know crap about falsetto having googled it myself. But I still recommend what I said above.

I hope this isn't too overwhelming, sorry...if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck!

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote