Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Taster of Pork!

Which vocal range does Cory Putman sing at?

I'm just wondering about CP of Norma Jean. My friend Adam said that his singing style is more like he's whining. Does anybody else here know how he sings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerRocks2day View Post
Does anybody else here know how he sings?
Poorly? I listed to Songs Sound Much Sadder and the only singing i heard in it was nasally, whiny, and pitchy... not something you should want to sound like.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Taster of Pork!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX View Post
Poorly? I listed to Songs Sound Much Sadder and the only singing i heard in it was nasally, whiny, and pitchy... not something you should want to sound like.
I think you mean "listened."

The whiny, nasally, pitchy part is kinda what my friend Adam told me how his singing's like. I guess Josh Scogin is better, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
I think you mean "listened."

The whiny, nasally, pitchy part is kinda what my friend Adam told me how his singing's like. I guess Josh Scogin is better, right?
I did mean listened.. sorry...

Umm... Josh Scoggins is cool but he's not really "better" per-se... I've never heard him actually sing, but I liked him in the Luti-Kriss before they were Norma Jean. I think they were more creative then...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
I'm just wondering about CP of Norma Jean. My friend Adam said that his singing style is more like he's whining. Does anybody else here know how he sings?

While I greatly enjoy Cory Brandans singing and screaming. If you are wanting to front a band that features mostly singing, then you dont want to sound like Cory. Cory is fine for his band, and his sound fits well with what they are trying to do, especially on Redeemer. But unless you are wanting to do a Metalcore/Noisecore style band, then really Cory's singing is not that great.

Josh Scogin was a different type of screamer. Him and Cory have different styles. I dont think one is better than the other perse (though, I think Josh's vocals have always been, and will always be more brutal than Cory's). Also, josh is more of a showman than anything else. If you watch any live stuff of him, or if you see his band The Chariot, live, you will understand the focus is not his vocal work, its the wicked show he puts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #6

I enjoy both Corey and Josh's work. I think it's about time they got recognition for using whatever voice God gave them, whether it is considered "good" by sceptics or not. I personaly love thier voices as much as Aaron Gillespe (Underoath), and Stephen Christian(Anberlin).
I think it's about time people stop worrying about haveing a "good" voice, and just going with whatever God gave them, and Norma Jean and The Chariot are both good examples. If God gave you the abilities He did, why try to change it? I understand improving it, but don't try to be something else.

(I can't spell good)
bass4christ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass4christ27 View Post
I enjoy both Corey and Josh's work. I think it's about time they got recognition for using whatever voice God gave them, whether it is considered "good" by sceptics or not. I personaly love thier voices as much as Aaron Gillespe (Underoath), and Stephen Christian(Anberlin).
I think it's about time people stop worrying about haveing a "good" voice, and just going with whatever God gave them, and Norma Jean and The Chariot are both good examples. If God gave you the abilities He did, why try to change it? I understand improving it, but don't try to be something else.
People can usually significantly improve their voice by changing their technique. Lots of people use poor technique and hurt their voices; not because God gave them poor technique, but because they were never taught properly. I'm sure all of the singers mentioned above could be better singers; if they used different technique. But do they want to use different technique, or is the technique that they are using appropriate to their music?

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #8

I think they are verry content with the technique they are useing.
I must say that I agree with all that you are saying, and I am all for using correct technique while singing or screaming. But even using good technique there are still going to be voices that make the "pros" out there cringe. I think that if Corey Putman used correct tchnique, it could sound good for Norma Jeans music style, but if he started singing classical? I'm only saying that he is using his voice, good or bad technique, for God. If he starts noticing problems with his voice, and wants to fix his technique, that's his choice.

(I can't spell good)
bass4christ27 is offline   Reply With Quote