Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #1

Advice/Criticism

Alright, I too would like an evaluation of my voice. I'm singing the chorus of I'm not alright by sanctus real. I recorded direct with my condenser, no compression or anything so you have an honest presentation of how bad it sounds. I sound really really nasal and when I try to sing the high stuff it sounds like I'm really stressing to hit these notes. From the sound of it, would you say that I simply do not have the range to sing something in this range, or is there a way I can work on my voice to have it sound less nasal, and less stressed? Does Matt Hammit stress to hit these notes during recording, take the best take and put some compression on, or is he simply a higher tenor, or has he trained his voice to the point where it doesn't sound like that?
Any advice on how to correct this and sound more relaxed and more importantly less nasal.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 I'm not alright.mp3 (496.8 KB, 85 views)

CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

You're very prone to have moments of being flat. Go read the vocal advice thread or the VAT. It's got some very basic stuff that will help you out alot.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to crazychu
not bad, if you took lessons (not to make fun of you, but it only helps, heck i wish i could afford lessons like AXguitar) anyways, you have a good thing going, as said above, work on breathing and keeping the pitch

Guitars:
Fender Deluxe Player's Strat, 3-Tone sunburst
Squire standard Strat MIJ (first electric, project guitar now)
Epiphone PR-200 (my first guitar, me love)
Takamine EG-531sc

Amp: Peavey Classic 50

Board, a Pedaltrain Pro:
Line 6 DL4, Morley Bad Horsie 2, EHX Litle Big Muff, Boss BD-2, Boss Tr-2, Boss DD-7 /w FS-5U, Boss RV-5, 1980
s MXR M-204 Distortion+, MI Audio V.2 Crunchbox, Keeley Boss BD-2 Blues Driver & a FULLTONE OCD

all patched up with Hand Soldered Lava Cable ELCs and Monster Prolink patches FTW

Future Gear: American Blonde Fender Blues Jr, the WORM, Digitech Whammy, BYOC phaser, SONIC STOMPP??
crazychu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychu View Post
not bad, if you took lessons (not to make fun of you, but it only helps, heck i wish i could afford lessons like AXguitar) anyways, you have a good thing going, as said above, work on breathing and keeping the pitch
I wish I could afford more lessons. They REALLY turned things around for me.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 04-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #5

I've read the VAT multiple times, I've also taken lessons for about a month and my vocal teacher kept telling me I had good tone just so he could start teaching me to read music which was the only thing he really knew how to teach, and far from what I wanted to get out of vocal studies.
From what I read from the vocal advice thread, It really emphasizes diaphramatic support, which from what I understand involves using abdominal muscles to supply air to the vocal aparatus. I've tried doing this while practicing octaves, but it seems that around F# I have to get extremely loud. Is this alright? When male vocalist sing tones at G# + are they really singing very loud, and draw FAR away from the mic when recording, singing live? I know the stuff about chest/head placement, but I can't seem to get anything besides a really loud weird sounding head voice and full on chest voice. (and of course falsetto, but thats not the tone I'm aiming for) Will practicing scales using natural head voice increase my ability to someday be able to use a combination of chest and head voice with more ease?

Also I know my pitch was way off at the beginning but that was because I wasn't mentally sure of which key I was in, pitch usually isn't my problem, it's tone, (unless you were referring to something else)

thanks

Edit: i listened to this agian and realized I was a bit off pitch in quite a few places, but still I don't see that as much of an issue for me right now as my tone. I'm to the point where I can recognize when I'm off and if I'm sharp or flat and am pretty confidant I won't have any problem with pitch if I keep doing my warm up exercises for a few months, correcting myself when necessary. still any advice on tone would be great
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Breathe more. That's the big thing with tone and really... you will develop tone over time with technique and keeping yourself on key and on pitch.

When you learn technique everything will eventually fall into place and if you can't read music at all, it's hard for a teacher to teach you technique.

Current Rig:

Public Blog