Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Hellfighter Send a message via Yahoo to Hellfighter
I'm finally content...(famous last words)

Hi; my name is Jonathan and I am a recovering Gear-a-holic.

I've been through my fair share of guitars, pedals, and amps, but I've realized something lately. I'm not looking for anything really. My set up is rather simple, unimpressive some would say, but I can get my sounds out of it. I guess a large part of it is that I am just listening with my ears and not my wallet. I may not have a $500 BJFE flavor of the week (and I'm not flaming those that do..), but I'm happy with what I have, REALLY happy. I'm getting all those tones in my head, really cool.

I always used to think that I need a tremolo, phaser, arpegio, (insert every effect known to man), to be satisfied, but I've realized that I don't really need ANY of that stuff. I just want tone, simple, big, punchy tone, and imaginative, innovative, and clean playing. I'm completely happy with Drive and delay right now (and the occasional wah.)

I've learned that effects should simply build upon the mojo (that should be) already there between amp and guitar. So I'm really digging the Tyler-DRRI combo.

So here it is...
James Tyler SE-HD with midboost (Alder/Maple)
-
MXR/CAE MC401 Booster (used as a buffer)
Crybaby Classic w/ Fasel inductor
Fulltone FD2 (the old, non-mosfet one)
Homebrew Electronics Powerscreamer
EB VP Jr.
Eventide Timefactor w/ Expression pedal (EB 6166) and dual control switches (boss FS-6)
Boss RC-50 Loopstation (optional)
-
Fender DRRI
Pacific 410 cab loaded w/ mojotones.

So, why am I posting this? Well I thought I'd share my experience and how I got here.

I'll start with the guitar...
Wow it is amazing! I've owned a lot of guitars and I've always thought, "I want this, a PRS, a few strats, so gretsch-i, etc" but really I'm happy with the tyler, okay, well I'm blown away by the tyler. It gets me everywhere from great sounding strat-stuff (pos. 4-5 are sooo sweet). The bridge can give some sweet classic tones, but get huge with the midboost control, and the trem is so air-y and beautiful. The neck is superb too, the only thing I'd change would be to have 2 (and this isn't honeymoon, I've had the guitar a year and I like it more now than ever!) (Anyone want to buy a Suhr?)

The amp I kind of stumbled upon...
I used to think vox-flavored (el84) amps were the schiz, but really one day I realized I was trying to eq out everything vox about them to get a big 'fender' clean out of them. I've got a $2500 KILLER Boutique el84 that has been collecting dust for the last 4 months because it just isn't my tone. I think it sounds great, nails the AC-30 thing, sounds awesome, and in certain (studio) situations, I'd still use it, but it isn't me. The fender is nice and clean, but at first I just thought I didn't like it, turns out I didn't like the (stock) speaker, I plugged it into a well broken in 410 and the rest was history. (I do plan on changing this, I'm gonna get a Super Reverb and put it in a head cabinet to gain a little more clean headroom for louder gigs)

As far as effects go, I'm learning less is more....
The MC-401 is a buffer, always on and adds a nice polish and sheen to the sound, if that makes sense.

The wah is nice and vocal, it really sounds like the wah I hear in my head, I highly recommend it for someone looking for a vintage-flavored wah.

At first I didn't really care for the FD2, I traded a PC Timmy for it (+ cash on the FD2 side), and I was underwhelmed. I mean, it didn't suck, but it was just too compressed and not nearly smooth enough. I was somewhat surprised too, because I guy who plays around here has one and gets some great OD tone from it that is neither compressed nor lacking in smoothness. I asked him about it and he told me it was all about giving it very little power. I now run it sagged all the way down on my Pedal power 2 (about 3.5v I believe) and it sounds AMAZING, now the only complaint I have is that the green on/off LED is invisible at these low power settings (IOW, I can't tell visibly, whether the pedal is engaged or not) what's weird is that the red LED for the boost function is perfectly visible, ideas? Anyway I set it for VERY low gain (I think the OD control is somewhere around 7 o'clock), and a lot of volume (maxed out) this means I get a slight volume boost with just a hint of dirt, maybe if I get really adventurous I'll try for some clips, we'll see. Think lead tone from "Gravity" on the John Mayer Trio cd. The boost is also set very low (about 8 o'clock), I actually wish it had more range, I feel like it adds a LOT of OD really quickly, but that's okay; it gets me into some nice classic gain territory.

I've always loved my Powerscreamer, I can't recommend it enough, it comes at a great price point too (disclaimer, I work for a dealer for them so pm me if you want details, however I can also get you digitech products and you don't see me pushing them on you). Anyway, it is my higher gain pedal, the gain and volume knobs both at about 2 o'clock (I must note that the volume controls are different with the Tyler, it must have to do with the active electronics; the FD-2 goes a little above unity, and the PS a little more, but I don't want people to think I'm just smashing the pre-amp with a ton of volume increases). The PS gives a great smooth overdrive (I run it at 16v, I've never heard the company say 'this is okay', but I've been doing it for 2 years, no problems, I guess, try at your own risk). I really like the boost on this unit b/c it has a high frequency focus which works perfectly with the tyler, who's boost is mid heavy (darkens the signal) so I can get a 'fat' boost (from the guitar) a 'treble' boost from the pedal, or combine both, pretty neat. Love, love, love this pedal.

The eventide is great, it just covers so much ground and can do so much. The tone is stellar, very warm, but still incredibly clean; a huge addition to my set up, I could not imagine using this thing without the expression pedal, it adds so much flexibility. Oh, and for those of you who don't know, Eventide now has a V2 beta software out that is stellar! It made the pedal even better, now you can self-oscillate!

Well that's it for now, I'm gonna snap some pics later, enjoy!

Unread 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #2

Any issues with the Time Factor? I had planned to pick one up, but after reading the somewhat mixed reviews decided to wait a bit. Since my delay count is back up to five different units, it's still really appealing.

And I can't agree more about the deluxe reverb. It's my perfect amp, anytime I try a new amp, I'm always comparing it to my deluxe. There are lots and lots of great sounding amps, but this is the one I really love.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #3

I've really enjoyed the timefactor, I've had zero issues with it, sounds great, no noise at all.

I'm a big fan and I would recommend it 100%, I also recommend getting an external tap control (I have two, one does the hold control, which is cool, but not as needed as the tap, if you have space, it is a nice addition.)

The expression pedal is also really great, I use it for pad sounds b/c I can fade the amount of feedback, mix, or whatever.
Unread 04-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Constantly growing

So how long has it taken you to reach this point of content?

(Whats the Suhr like?)
surferdude9375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
The Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWatford View Post
Any issues with the Time Factor? I had planned to pick one up, but after reading the somewhat mixed reviews decided to wait a bit. Since my delay count is back up to five different units, it's still really appealing.

And I can't agree more about the deluxe reverb. It's my perfect amp, anytime I try a new amp, I'm always comparing it to my deluxe. There are lots and lots of great sounding amps, but this is the one I really love.
I believe that they have fixed most of the noise issues with these pedals by adding extra shielding on the later models. I am not for sure though, but i am sure that i would love to have one. But i think i would like to get the ModFactor first.
Wesley7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

I really like the Fender cleans too. I don't know why I still have a multi-effects pedal except that it is convenient and cheap. I tried a Fender Twin Reverb and it is probably all I would ever need. I was looking at the patches on my RP250 yesterday and all the patches that I use on 90% of the songs I do all use the '65 Fender Twin Reverb emulation. My next favorite emulation would be the '57 Tweed Deluxe. Occasionally I pull out the AC15 and AC30 to get my Beatles tones. I have all these effects to use but mostly I just use a little delay and a little reverb. I don't think I could shell out the big bucks for the Twin Reverb. I would love to find an analog modeling pedal that would do the Twin, the Tweed, and maybe the Vox tones. Then I could add a delay and reverb pedals and I would be set.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #7

Well do yourself a favor and try out the DRRI, they can be found from $500 used, and they're GREAT little amps.
Unread 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I've generally found that I manage to stay fairly content until I start reading threads at TGP or talkBass.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I've generally found that I manage to stay fairly content until I start reading threads at TGP or talkBass.
I'm usually fairly content until I start reading threads at the CGR guitar forum.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
I'm content until I wake up in the morning......
Unread 04-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude9375 View Post
So how long has it taken you to reach this point of content?

(Whats the Suhr like?)
The Suhr is really a sweet guitar.

1 Piece swamp ash body w/ Aged cherry burst finish
1 Piece Maple neck w/ gloss on the headstock
60's C vintage Medium neck profile (.830-.950) with a 10"-14" compound radius on the fingerboard.
Tusq Nut
Heavy Frets
Gotoh 1088 trem w/ steel block and screw in arm
Gotoh Kluson Tuners
Aged green Pickguard
1 Volume, 1 Tone, and 1 Blend
3 V60lp SC's

I like it a lot, it is lightweight, has a nice balanced tone, and is just flat-out comfortable to play. It has the BF tuning system and has been plek'd.

Here's a pic...
Unread 04-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
Okagesama de genki desu

Congratulations on finding gear that works for you! It's weird how sometimes you settle on stuff you don't expect isn't it? I went through a Bad Cat, a Mesa Mark IV and an Orange AD30 before finally somehow landing on a little Fender Pro Jr. Now I love that amp so much I feel my amp search is over! DRRI are great amps

Which mode do you use on the FD2? It's funny you say it's not smooth enough, I usually find mine is too smooth to blend well with my other pedals! Have you ever tried an OCD? Sounds like it might work well for what you're trying to get out of your FD2 (not to try to dissuade you from your GAS-free bliss)
Unread 04-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #13

The FD2 IS smooth now, but it wasn't before I started feeding it about 4v of power, now I love it. I use the Flat Mids setting, I have volume maxed and the OD almost all the way down, tone at about 12 o'clock.
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
Well do yourself a favor and try out the DRRI, they can be found from $500 used, and they're GREAT little amps.
Excuse my ignorance but what is a DRRI? Deville Reverb Reissue? Deluxe Reverb Reissue? Does it have more of a Blackface or more of a Tweed sound?

Unread 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is a DRRI? Deville Reverb Reissue? Deluxe Reverb Reissue? Does it have more of a Blackface or more of a Tweed sound?
Deluxe Reverb RI. My limited experience with them says they sound like a small BF amp. The one I tried out reminded me of a Twin Reverb in a 22W package.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote