Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
ITS ABOUT TIME, ESP!! ITS ABOUT TIME!!

Why did it take ESP so long to do this?

I havnt visited the site at all this year until just a few minutes ago. Perhaps this was released a while ago, but I havnt heard anything about it.

And while I was typing this, I kept scouring the site. Apparently they have a few 8 string models.

I cannot wait to check them all out.

There is a store near here that stocks almost every ESP model there is available, so I will hopefully get to lay hands on one of these.
I have never handled an 8 string before, so I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
If I were a bass player in this day and age, I'd be really ticked-off by guitarists who feel the need to come into my sonic neighborhood with their 7 and now 8 string guitars.

99.9% of the time, I just don't see nor hear the point.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to WideAwake Send a message via MSN to WideAwake Send a message via Yahoo to WideAwake
Will this make it even easier for the kiddies to play one finger barre chords now?

Not sure why, but I am reminded of a video I saw on you tube, where the guys from Korn were giving a "lesson" on some of their songs, using 7 string guitars. It made me laugh. I thought - why do they need 7 strings when they only play 3? Then they went on their way, back to their millions, and me back to my not-so-millions.

What can you do.
WideAwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
Poster Boy for G.A.S

Send a message via AIM to Joseiy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
If I were a bass player in this day and age, I'd be really ticked-off by guitarists who feel the need to come into my sonic neighborhood with their 7 and now 8 string guitars.

+1 It annoys the dang out of me every time the guitar player or piano player decide to play just bass notes.

I thought I had GAS...I'm nominating you for the official poster boy.
Electric Guitars Fender Highway One Telecaster
Amps Vox AC15 W/ Jensen Modtone, Crate V50
Effects Korg Pitchblack, SBN BDAB ,SBN Lil Eagle, EHX Holy Grail
Powered by a Visual Sound 1 Spot,
Joseiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Seeks Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideAwake View Post
It made me laugh. I thought - why do they need 7 strings when they only play 3?

What can you do.
That's so true! I can't think of any bands that solo with 7 string guitars...

I think...it looks like...a baseball bat...

Dont hold me to this but I have heard that the Swedish Metal band "Meshuggah" uses 9 string guitars. That might not be true though.

-Patton
Thrill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #6

Presidents of the United States of America

One guy played 'basitar' and the other played 'guitbass'. This was in 1993.

Everything old is new again...again. Yawn...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Presidents of the United States of America

One guy played 'basitar' and the other played 'guitbass'. This was in 1993.

Everything old is new again...again. Yawn...
yep. I think the basitar has two strings and the guitbass has three...though I might have that reversed.

Then again, 95% of the bands out that don't have the songwriting prowess that Chris Balew has either.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
yep. I think the basitar has two strings and the guitbass has three...though I might have that reversed.

Then again, 95% of the bands out that don't have the songwriting prowess that Chris Balew has either.
While that's an unverifiable percentage I would tend to agree with you.

PotUSA had some creatively catchy tuneages.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
While that's an unverifiable percentage I would tend to agree with you.

PotUSA had some creatively catchy tuneages.
haha...unverifiable indeed.

If I can, I may try to see PUSA in a month or two when they come back to San Diego. I saw them a couple years ago and they're a really fun band to watch live. It really blew me away how humble and real Chris Balew is during their shows.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
This Mortal Frame..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill Seeker View Post
That's so true! I can't think of any bands that solo with 7 string guitars...
I think...it looks like...a baseball bat...

Dont hold me to this but I have heard that the Swedish Metal band "Meshuggah" uses 9 string guitars. That might not be true though.

John Petrucci.
Rusty Cooley.
Dino Cazares (Fear Factory, Divine Heresy).

Need I go on?

7 and 8 (and up_) stringers arent trying to horn in on the Bass players turf. We simply want to achieve lower tones without having to sacrifice the highs by drop tuning, nor do we want the flabby string syndrome that you get from drop tuning.

As far as Korn goes, I puke in my mouth a little every time I hear them. They are not good examples of good uses for 7 string guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideAwake View Post
Will this make it even easier for the kiddies to play one finger barre chords now?
Not really. Itll be a little harder since the neck is so freakin wide. Plus, a guitar that big just isnt that good for swingin around while you are flying around with a million 1 finger powerchords.

Quote:
Not sure why, but I am reminded of a video I saw on you tube, where the guys from Korn were giving a "lesson" on some of their songs, using 7 string guitars. It made me laugh. I thought - why do they need 7 strings when they only play 3? Then they went on their way, back to their millions, and me back to my not-so-millions.

What can you do.

Korn are pathetic. In a serious discussion of Extended Range Guitars, Korn shouldnt even be mentioned. I have no idea why you guys cant think of someone different. You expect people who play hardcore and metal and other heavy music to be better or do more creative stuff, you yourselves arent even creative in your arguments. So....

Quote:
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.

Last edited by thesteve; 04-01-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #11

Now, when will someone make an affordable extended range guitar that isn't aimed at the rock/metal player? I want an eight string like Charlie Hunter's, without paying for a Novax or Wes Lambe. I'd settle for a decent seven string ...
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #12

Petrucci is awesome and uses a 7-string, but he only uses it when the song has a low B note. Which can be done with a 6-string in Drop B tuning. He never uses it in a solo.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
Destructor!

Send a message via AIM to DJ Clown
I think extended strings would be cool to use with clean, melody type stuff. Like Stephen Bennett, who plays a harp guitar.
I wouldnt use one for distorted tones...Im doing just fine with my 6 string.

THAT IS FINAL

Up and running again...
My music thread

Ibanez RG1570L Prestige
Crate GT65
Digitech RP50
DJ Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
This Mortal Frame..

Quote:

I suppose I should be ticked by bass players who play up in my guitars sonic neighborhood?

Why cant they stay on the bottom 2 strings, and leave the treble cleff to the 6 stringers, and leave crossovers for the extended range guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfan View Post
Petrucci is awesome and uses a 7-string, but he only uses it when the song has a low B note. Which can be done with a 6-string in Drop B tuning. He never uses it in a solo.

Really, I was wanting to point out awesome examples of extended range uses without using ****, since I am tired of hearing about them and extended range. Valid arguments for the usefulness of extended range can be made easily without people bringing **** into the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Clown View Post
I think extended strings would be cool to use with clean, melody type stuff. Like Stephen Bennett, who plays a harp guitar.
I wouldnt use one for distorted tones...Im doing just fine with my 6 string.
Ive heard them for both styles. I really like them in all situations.

I use my 7 string in mostly clean situations (and I dont use the low B that often because of my playing situation). And it holds up well tonally, even down on the low strings. I really like extended range for distorted stuff though. The darker, and punchier character is somethiing I enjoy.

I really really like being able to make a room shake by simply shifting down a string.

Quote:
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Tired of being attacked

Some real shredders use them quite effectively, but it seems to me that just like six stringers a lot of people will uncreatively abuse them. However, for guys who use them well, I have heard guys who needed the extended range for runs. I will never convert to them. Heck, I have a hard time reaching the E on a classical guitar.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote