Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
I'm Very Good.

Growl? (NOT a screaming question)

I'm puzzled by a vocal effect I periodically hear--a kind of growl, for lack of a better term. It doesn't have the abrasive edge of a scream, more of a burble, than anything, and it doesn't always sound particularly intense--it's just a kind of growl overtop of the note the singer is on. I've heard it a lot in opera/musicals, although I've definitely heard similar sounds on rock songs. The last place I heard it, the catalyst for me reignited interest, was Johnny Depp's rendition of Epiphany from Sweeney Todd.

Is it a technique, or just something that certain people's pipes do naturally? Nodes/callouses?

I'm not looking for help screaming; I'm sure that if it's a technique, my voice teacher will cover it in due time. Mostly, I'm just curious.

EDIT: I'm on dial-up, so I can't be sure of it, but <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI1muWt0vho">this</a> should be a video of the performance by Mr. Depp.

Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

It's a technique... or something... I know I do it on occasion and it's really almost like oversinging to get an almost scream on a note... I don't really know how to describe it...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
I'm Very Good.

In other words, it's possibly just a side-effect of training--not necessarily a technique you're taught, but a peripheral skill that is an eventual byproduct of good technique?
Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small View Post
In other words, it's possibly just a side-effect of training--not necessarily a technique you're taught, but a peripheral skill that is an eventual byproduct of good technique?
When I growl it definitely comes from the same places as a scream.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #5

I think what you're talking about is called vocal fry. I'd try to explain it but there are others who can describe it much better. Look it up.

Here's one (of many) sites with information about the subject:
http://www.become-a-singing-master.c...vocal-fry.html
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBongo View Post
I think what you're talking about is called vocal fry. I'd try to explain it but there are others who can describe it much better. Look it up.

Here's one (of many) sites with information about the subject:
http://www.become-a-singing-master.c...vocal-fry.html
That doesn't sound like a healthy technique. Probably something you want to do pretty sparingly. It also doesn't sound like something you would hear in operas and musicals.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote