Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Baritone ax'er

New to drums, what to look for?

Hey guys, I am seriously considering purchasing a drum set, I have been playing guitar for 3 1/2 years, mostly rhythm, so I can keep a good beat on a guitar while adding my own flavor to it fairly easily. I know that keeping a good rhythm on drums is much different than on a guitar or bass, so I will be buying a book for drums (due to time constraints and money, I couldnt get drum lessons, at least for quite a while).

I am wanting an acoustic set, I've played on electrics and acoustics and like the thickness of the acoustics FAR better than an electric set. I am hoping to work up to being able to play to bands like Demon Hunter, so I'm wanting a thick and heavy sound.

I don't know much about drums in general, is there a place on the Internet that is sort of like an FAQ or "tutorial" for drums or for those just beginning?

I will probably be able to spend $700-$1000 on a set, but I do not know the differences between brands and am not sure what to look for (I'm sorry that I have hardly any knowledge, but hopefully I will catch on fairly quick ). Can anyone help me at all?

TIA
Cam

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack

Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Hey ya'll, watch this!

I don't get hung up on drum brands. It's the cymbals and hardware that really make things easier at first.

Pick a price point for your kit and start shopping hard. I once saw a set of Gretsch Broadcasters in a pawn shop for a hundred bucks. If you stick with the names like Ludwig, Pearl, Rogers, Slingerland, Yamaha, or if you hit the lottery DW, then you'll be ok. The name brands re-sale better and typically come with decent hardware.

A four or five drum kit is plenty. Monster kits are fun but they don't really make you any better player. My personal fave is a snare, your kick, a mounted tom, and two floor toms. Make sure you get a decent kick pedal. Big drums make big sounds.

Good cymbals are what will really eat your wallet. You'll be needing a set of hi hats, a medium crash, and a ride cymbal to start. A huge gong is also nice but not essential at first. Buy good ones because you'll never wear them out unless you turn into some kind of barbarian. A crappy cymbal will make you cringe every time you play it and make it tough to show your face in public.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
I don't get hung up on drum brands. It's the cymbals and hardware that really make things easier at first.

Pick a price point for your kit and start shopping hard. I once saw a set of Gretsch Broadcasters in a pawn shop for a hundred bucks. If you stick with the names like Ludwig, Pearl, Rogers, Slingerland, Yamaha, or if you hit the lottery DW, then you'll be ok. The name brands re-sale better and typically come with decent hardware.

A four or five drum kit is plenty. Monster kits are fun but they don't really make you any better player. My personal fave is a snare, your kick, a mounted tom, and two floor toms. Make sure you get a decent kick pedal. Big drums make big sounds.

Good cymbals are what will really eat your wallet. You'll be needing a set of hi hats, a medium crash, and a ride cymbal to start. A huge gong is also nice but not essential at first. Buy good ones because you'll never wear them out unless you turn into some kind of barbarian. A crappy cymbal will make you cringe every time you play it and make it tough to show your face in public.

So kits usually don't come with everything you need like cymbals? Hmm......

How do I know which cymbals to look at and how to tell if they'll give me decent sounds? ( I would try them out, but I don't know very many drummers, so I don't know where I'd be able to).

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack

Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Hey ya'll, watch this!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ash?sku=490022

This is a starting point. I'm not too sold on ZXT but they can give you a starting point of reference and they don't sound like garbage can lids. Like I said, cymbals can really take a chunk out of your budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...rum?sku=490081

And this is a nice beginning kit. It's real easy to bust the budget on things.

J.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Im In The Band

I suggest Pearl Export series their really good they start at about $800 also be sure to get a Splash
Cymbal you can do a lot of cool stuff with a Splash.
musician4God15 is offline   Reply With Quote