Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #1

Major Tom's 12 String Electric thread

GAS begets GAS.

Now that I have the Vox AC15CC, the idea of getting a 12 string electric has popped into my head. I guess because I always did like the British Invasion tones, along with the Byrds and other american groups who used 12 strings in the 60's.

Anybody here using one in the P&W or other band situation? If so, please relate any comments, or advice about how you use it - clean, OD, distortion tones? what is the rig you play it thru? how often do you use it? what type of song context? which one do you have - do you like it? String gauges you use, etc.

Anyway, I'd like to try one in the P & W context. Probably with the same type settings I mostly use for my 6 strings - what some call "not clean/not dirty", or what I call just beyond clean to mild OD. I think it might fit pretty well with my "retro" playing style and tone.

I'm looking for any suggestions for a cheapie, probably used, I'd like to keep it under $300. I'm not ready to invest in a Ric at this juncture. I did look at a 12 from Agile, but from the pics it looks to have a 6 string tuneomatic bridge, so you wouldn't be able to intonate each string individually... I'm not sure if that would be a terribly bad thing or not. I did see a semi'hollow Daisy Rock 12 on ebay - it wasn't "girly" looking, just a plain white 335'sh shape; its starting bid is @100 bux. (OK, so its a "girl" guitar, but only a real man would play one and not care what people thought) I've heard the DR's are pretty decent cheapie axes, but it looked like it had the regular 6 string tuneomatic bridge also. Is there such a thing as a 12 string tuneomatic replacement?

Unread 03-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #2

Well, I use a Rogue (don't judge guys!) 12 string acoustic, but I usualy use a Woody pickup in the sound hole. I've been known to use it in P&W with a clean tone (mainly for songs with a lot of praise band chords e.g. Open the eyes of my heart), but I also have been known to dirty it up a bit outside of church. It sounds really cool if you slap it in open G, pull out your slide, and Put the Boss OD-3 in full gear...
Sean.thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
(OK, so its a "girl" guitar, but only a real man would play one and not care what people thought)
Right onTom, I used to have a pepto bismal pink kramer that I played in the eighties. (Please forgive me) The only experience I have with electric 12 strings are the Ric and the double neck gibson, (yes, forgive me for that too). I personnaly love the sound of 12 strings and think it would sound great into the vox. Didnt The Birds use Vox and Ric's?
mikeboyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Well, I use a Rogue (don't judge guys!) 12 string acoustic, but I usualy use a Woody pickup in the sound hole. I've been known to use it in P&W with a clean tone (mainly for songs with a lot of praise band chords e.g. Open the eyes of my heart), but I also have been known to dirty it up a bit outside of church. It sounds really cool if you slap it in open G, pull out your slide, and Put the Boss OD-3 in full gear...
Good stuff - wow, a slide on a 12 string in open G with OD.

Quote:
Right onTom, I used to have a pepto bismal pink kramer that I played in the eighties. (Please forgive me)

Quote:
Didnt The Birds use Vox and Ric's?
I know Roger McGuinn did use a Ric, in fact, Ric has a R.M. signature model, not sure about the amp. I did read an article in GP many years ago, I do remember that they said for his 12 part on Tambourine Man, they ran it thru 2 compressors in series, Im thinking that maybe it was direct to the console.
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #5

I for one have never used an electric 12-string, but one guy at my church played his once. I was talking to him for a while about it, and how he used it. Basically, he was using a POD XTL, with the JC120 model and just a tad bit of OD and a bit of phaser too. He would occasionally use his wah pedal to get that sort of flanger-ish sound when you slowly bring the pedal up. Not really strumming chords that much, mostly just picking the chords, and it sounded very, very good. I believe he was using this one here.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #6

I've had a couple of 12 string electrics. I currently have a Hagstrom 12, I basically treat it just like my other guitars, though I do find a little extra compression helps it pop a bit.

I'm so much cooler online.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Tired of being attacked

A guy I used to play with used a 12 string ric for P & W and it sounded great. With anything other than mild distortion or clean it sounded rather muddy. (TS9 on fairly high drive sounded muddy, don't make me talk about how a metal zone sounded with it. *shudders*) However, it sounds perfect for what you do.

My Life.

Last edited by BillSPrestonEsq; 03-10-2008 at 03:05 PM.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Poster Boy for G.A.S

Send a message via AIM to Joseiy
My Uncle has a 12 String Yamaha Pacifica its a really nice guitar. He had some active EMG Single coils in it too. It pretty much played anything you wanted it to.

I thought I had GAS...I'm nominating you for the official poster boy.
Electric Guitars Fender Highway One Telecaster
Amps Vox AC15 W/ Jensen Modtone, Crate V50
Effects Korg Pitchblack, SBN BDAB ,SBN Lil Eagle, EHX Holy Grail