Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Life should not have these difficult decisions

Basically, the situation stands like this: I have enough money to buy a new Fender American Strat off of Musician's Friend (not sure if I like that idea yet, but it's a possibility) with a coupon they gave me that expires on the 29th. Unfortunately, I can't spend $450 of what I would be using to buy the guitar, as it's saved up for car insurance and a trip in June (FFF, for those that know what that is). I was thinking of buying a DD-20 (which I'd really love, by the way) today, but I just realized that, if I save up for a few more paychecks, I could get the guitar of my dreams. Life just kinda sucks when you're pitted up against this .

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:36 AM   #2

How about getting a Standard Strat and upgrading the pickups, which you mentioned were the only thing about the MIM's you didn't like?
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfan View Post
How about getting a Standard Strat and upgrading the pickups, which you mentioned were the only thing about the MIM's you didn't like?
Because MIA's are purdy . Actually, I'm not sure. I really think I want an American Strat, though. It's just a cooler beast.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
Because MIA's are purdy . Actually, I'm not sure. I really think I want an American Strat, though. It's just a cooler beast.
It's a better guitar, period.

Yeah, I know that life and responsibility and paying bills is for the dogs, isn't it?
How I'd much rather go buy new gear all of the time instead of providing myself, my wife and my kids with food, shelter and security.

It's not fair.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
It's a better guitar, period.

Yeah, I know that life and responsibility and paying bills is for the dogs, isn't it?
How I'd much rather go buy new gear all of the time instead of providing myself, my wife and my kids with food, shelter and security.

It's not fair.
I agree wholeheartedly! It's unfortunate that insurance is necessary to be allowed to drive, heh.

So my mom just said that she'd be able to help me buy that guitar now with that 20% off coupon from Musician's Friend... Ugh. Totally doesn't help my decision . That would mean I'd be paying her off for the next month or two, which isn't too bad, as that's when I'd be saving up anyway, but I'm not sure. This means I could get a brand new MIA Strat for around $800, but I'd be getting it online. Should I go for it? I've wanted one of these for a very long time.

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Sarcasm? What's that?

what's the dream guitar you mentioned?

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
What5647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Poster Boy for G.A.S

Send a message via AIM to Joseiy
Ebay?

I thought I had GAS...I'm nominating you for the official poster boy.
Electric Guitars Fender Highway One Telecaster
Amps Vox AC15 W/ Jensen Modtone, Crate V50
Effects Korg Pitchblack, SBN BDAB ,SBN Lil Eagle, EHX Holy Grail
Powered by a Visual Sound 1 Spot,
Joseiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by What5647 View Post
what's the dream guitar you mentioned?
Either a VG or the American Standard itself. In my mind, they're both amazing Strats, so I'm not sure I should make it a Standard vs. VG when I wouldn't be able to get the VG for many more months anyway.

What it boils down to is that I'm deciding if it would be worth it to have one soon (but have ordered it online... I've heard horror stories. However, it's a great-quality guitar, so I don't know how bad it could actually be) and be paying for it over the next few months, which I feel pretty confident I could do, or buy it later when I have the whole pricetag. The problem with the latter is that, if I wanted a new one, I'd be spending a few hundred more. I'm not against used gear at all, but I know that, if I were to buy new from MF, I'd get exactly what I wanted.

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Poster Boy for G.A.S

Send a message via AIM to Joseiy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
Either a VG or the American Standard itself. In my mind, they're both amazing Strats, so I'm not sure I should make it a Standard vs. VG when I wouldn't be able to get the VG for many more months anyway.

What it boils down to is that I'm deciding if it would be worth it to have one soon (but have ordered it online... I've heard horror stories. However, it's a great-quality guitar, so I don't know how bad it could actually be) and be paying for it over the next few months, which I feel pretty confident I could do, or buy it later when I have the whole pricetag. The problem with the latter is that, if I wanted a new one, I'd be spending a few hundred more. I'm not against used gear at all, but I know that, if I were to buy new from MF, I'd get exactly what I wanted.
I would say your chances are better on Ebay than MF because most of them have been played and are likely to have been set up at one point in their lives. Ive seen them go for around $550.

I thought I had GAS...I'm nominating you for the official poster boy.
Electric Guitars Fender Highway One Telecaster
Amps Vox AC15 W/ Jensen Modtone, Crate V50
Effects Korg Pitchblack, SBN BDAB ,SBN Lil Eagle, EHX Holy Grail