Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #1

Locking Tuners

Does anyone have any experience with locking tuners? How hard would they be to put in... say a Schecter C-1 Classic? Do they work well? How hard is it to unlock them and do you have to lock every string like on a floyd rose, or can you individually lock them? Are they hard for the average person to install or would I have to get a luthier to install them for me? What brands work the best?
Thanks

CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBongo View Post
Does anyone have any experience with locking tuners? How hard would they be to put in... say a Schecter C-1 Classic? Do they work well? How hard is it to unlock them and do you have to lock every string like on a floyd rose, or can you individually lock them? Are they hard for the average person to install or would I have to get a luthier to install them for me? What brands work the best?
Thanks
Locking tuners are very different than a double-locking trem system like the Floyd Rose.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBongo View Post
Thanks
I have experience with Schaller and Sperzel locking tuners. They aren't any harder to put on than standard tuners. Each string is locked individually. Usually you just turn a button on the bottom to lock the string into the post. To unlock them you just turn the button the other way. It's simple.
As far as installing them on your guitar goes, it depends on where the screw holes are for your current tuners as well as the size of the hole in your peghead. The Schallers and Sperzels require a 3/8" hole in the peghead, which is very common.
All that said, I don't think they help keep the guitar in tune any better than a good standard tuner on a guitar that is setup properly. However, they make string changing a lot quicker. It's nice to just pull the string through the post tight and lock it in rather than having to wrap it multiple times around the post. You still have to turn the peg a little though to get it up to pitch.
Unread 02-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #4

I have a set of Gotohs on my Paul. They are excellent when it comes to changing strings, but haven't convienced me that NEEDED to put them on another guitar. I will probably try another set on one of my strats so that I can try them with a tremolo, but honestly my strats both stay in tune very well.
Gojo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I have locking tuners on my Godin Solidac. They came stock on it and they're handy for what they are but I see no need to put them on any other guitar.
Oh, wait...my ESP Dave Mustaine has them, too.
Ok, still, I see no need to put them on another guitar.

As far as brands, Sperzel seems to be the most popular and they should be no more difficult to install than most any other aftermarket tuning machine. You just have to be sure that the post diameter is the same size...and be prepared to bore it out if not...and possibly drill new screw holes (if so equipped) or guide pin holes.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #6

I agree with the above posts. They are a convenience if you change strings a lot. They do not solve any tuning instability problems, with possibly one exception - for players who do not "stretch tune" their strings (like they should) when they change them.

Oh yeah, I put one set on a Fender back in the late 80's, I think they are Schaller. I recently took them back off, they are for sale if someone wants them. Satin chrome finish, 6 in line, like new.

Why are you wanting them?
Unread 02-18-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
Eaten by a grue

I have Schallers on my G&L. I'm now too lazy to not have them. I will have Schallers on all future guitars.
That's why Jesus would use a 5-10 watt tube combo. Then Jesus can get that nice breakup He likes at a manageable volume. A volume that is somewhat formal but still says I'm here to party. Much like tuxedo t-shirt Jesus.
"If all experienced God in the same way and returned Him an identical worship, the song of the Church triumphant would have no symphony, it would be like an orchestra in which all the instruments played the same note." - C.S. Lewis
niangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #8

I wanted them for increased tuning stability on my schecter. The G string keeps coming untune. I think it's either because I put a lighter gauge of strings on than when I had it setup, or because my G tuner feels kind of funky and has since I got it. The "b" string isn't the greatest either. I kind of also want an alternative to a floyd rose that I can still change tunings when I want. The thing I'm concerned about is that I need three right hand and three left hand tuners because that's the way my headstock is.
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #9

You just need the 3+3 locking tuner set. Most companies sell them as 3+3 or inline. Your problem MIGHT not be in the tuners. If the string is wound on the tuner good and isn't slipping, then you might need to look somewhere else.
Gojo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I honestly doubt your problem is the tuners. If the tuners feel loose and have side screws, then the knobs probably just need to be tightened. I had some funky Grovers on one of my acoustics...I tightened them up and BAM, great tuners again.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Hey, I can change this!!!

I had a set of schallers on a strat to improve tuning.

TOTAL waste of money.

the problem was the strings were binding in the NUT and a change of tuners made no difference whatsoever.

changing strings is only speeded up by a whisker i any at all if you wind your strings as reccomended by Frank Ford's Frets.com site. I do it like this and I can change a set of acoustic strings in about 3 minutes without trying.

As to multiple turns, my new silent acoustic is sitting bedside me now and the D'Addario medium Phos Bronze have 1/2 a turn on the low E up to 1 3/4 turns on the high E

DON'T wrap your strings round & round & round & round to capstan. THAT'S where the tuning slippage is occuring.

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #12

Quote:
I honestly doubt your problem is the tuners. If the tuners feel loose and have side screws, then the knobs probably just need to be tightened. I had some funky Grovers on one of my acoustics...I tightened them up and BAM, great tuners again.
I feel stupid, problem solved.

Thanks for saving me $60+ dollars of stupidity.
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
All that said, I don't think they help keep the guitar in tune any better than a good standard tuner on a guitar that is setup properly.
If you use the tremolo bar, locking tuners definitely help the guitar stay in tune. Coupled with a proper guitar nut, locking tuners become an absolute necessity to keep the guitar in tune when using the tremolo bar. (unless of course you have a Floyd or such)
If you have a stationary tail piece on your guitar, locking tuners are not a must have item.

Quote:
but honestly my strats both stay in tune very well.
Ive owned at least ten strats over the years and not a single one with out the locking tuners has stayed in tune. I mean really stay in tune. Ive been playing professionally for twenty years and I have never seen a stock strat that really stays in tune when using the whammy bar. I am experienced in guitar set up, including fret work, neck setup, nut work, what ever. When you wrap the strings around the tuning machine post and depress the tremolo, the string tension around the post decreases, when you let the bar up, tension increases, but not back to perfect tune. Locking tuners allow you to decrease the wrap greatly, usually less than one wrap. This does away with the inconsistent wrap around the post. This coupled with a properly filed nut (hopefully of the lubricated type) and a properly setup bridge yields a system that will work just about as good as a Floyd type.
mikeboyette is offline   Reply With Quote