Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this album, with 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 1 12.50%
7 2 25.00%
8 2 25.00%
9 1 12.50%
10 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #1

paid
Sanctus Real - We Need Each Other

01. Turn On The Lights
02. We Need Each Other
03. Black Coal
04. Whatever You're Doing (Something Heavenly)
05. Sing
06. Leap Of Faith
07. Lay Down My Guns
08. Eternal
09. Half Our Lives
10. Legacy
Attached Images

Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #2

paid
Suggested guide for voting
10 - Amazing CD. Everyone should own it.
9 - Among the best of the year.
8 - One of the top CDs around, but could have been improved in a few places.
7 - Not a bad CD, but could have been better in a number of places.
6 - Pretty good for it's genre, but overall it's only acceptable.
5 - Decent CD, but only if you're a big fan of this genre.
4 - If you love this band, you'll like this CD. Otherwise, probably not.
3 - If you're a fan of this genre, the CD is barely acceptable.
2 - If you're a big fan of this band, this CD is tolerable.
1 - Even if you like this band, you won't like this CD.
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
is blessed beyond measure

Send a message via AIM to tigerfan88 Send a message via MSN to tigerfan88 Send a message via Yahoo to tigerfan88
This is really one of their best CDs, if not the best. It is a good mix of straight up rock and alternative. Lyrically, it is their most serious--and best--yet. Vocally, Hammit sounds terrific. Musically, the whole band has grown a lot. If I were to describe it to people, I'd say part U2 ("Eternal"), part Tom Petty ("Turn On the Lights"), part Coldplay ("Eternal"--it's both part U2 and part Coldplay, as I hear both influences in there) and part catchy rock ("Leap of Faith", "Black Coal"). The more I hear this CD, the more I enjoy it.

My Gear:
Agile AL-2000 | Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic | Johnson Strat Copy | J.B. Player Professional Series Bass (somewhat modified) | Vox AD50VT 212 | Acoustic B20 Bass Amp | Vox V847| Danelectro Fab Distortion

My Blog | Tech Support for Lots of Devices
tigerfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #4

Worst title ever...and an okay album.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Proud to be irish

I'm not going to vote yet. My first impressions are good. I somewhat agree that "We Need Each Other" is kind of a lame album title.

*realizes this is CPF*

I think...I may have just pwnt myself.
Oh!Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #6

I agree about the lame title. The title song might be somewhat cliche too. But besides that it lives up to the sanctus real name. I loved the face of love and fight the tide so much I can't say it's their best but It's probably on par with those. They could have named it turn on the lights or something else. Matt's voice is simply amazing and is even better on this (if you can believe it) I'd love to have his voice.

CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #7

And see, for a long time we had thought (and so did the band) that it would be called Turn On The Lights.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
is blessed beyond measure

Send a message via AIM to tigerfan88 Send a message via MSN to tigerfan88 Send a message via Yahoo to tigerfan88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBongo View Post
I agree about the lame title. The title song might be somewhat cliche too. But besides that it lives up to the sanctus real name. I loved the face of love and fight the tide so much I can't say it's their best but It's probably on par with those. They could have named it turn on the lights or something else. Matt's voice is simply amazing and is even better on this (if you can believe it) I'd love to have his voice.

It is amazing. And his vocals, seemingly, have only gotten better with each CD, as you said. He sounds great on this new CD, and I can attest to him sounding great live as well (have seen them 3 times now). I really, really like the blend of songs on this CD. And it feels to me like there are some really, really great songs on this CD that just blow the rest of their music out of the water. Which is not easy for me to say, considering how much I loved "Fight the Tide". Not the most original CD title ("Turn On the Lights" would have been better), but meh, it's alright to me.

My Gear:
Agile AL-2000 | Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic | Johnson Strat Copy | J.B. Player Professional Series Bass (somewhat modified) | Vox AD50VT 212 | Acoustic B20 Bass Amp | Vox V847| Danelectro Fab Distortion

My Blog | Tech Support for Lots of Devices
tigerfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Proud to be irish

I don't think this is their best, but I do agree that this might be Matt's best vocal performance. I think I liked Fight The Tide and The Face of Love as a whole a little more (then again, those have had time to sink in).

*realizes this is CPF*

Unread 02-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #10

Quote:
And it feels to me like there are some really, really great songs on this CD that just blow the rest of their music out of the water. Which is not easy for me to say, considering how much I loved "Fight the Tide"
Leap of Faith
Turn on the lights
Legacy
Black Coal
Are the songs that do that. IMO.

"I'm not alright" from the face of love is probably equally as good. I think the face of love is their most solid album, fight the tide is great as well. As an entire cd I don't think this one is as consistent as those, but the songs that rock on this cd really rock. It's definitely worth of SR's name. In addition to Matt's voice being stellar, I noticed a few moments of guitar and bass work that stood out
Again, ironically the title song seems to be one of the more mediocre moments relative to the rest of the cd. (except the fight song was awesome)
Unread 02-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Proud to be irish

I quite liked the title tracks for both Face of Love and Fight the Tide (technically, Alone). I like We Need Each Other (song), but it doesn't measure up to Face of Love or Alone.

*realizes this is CPF*

Unread 02-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #12

I'm not gonna vote on this yet... but I gotta say I've heard better from Sanctus... I personally think that this album was kinda hard to warm up to because every song was slow campared to their old stuff... Overall it's got a good message and "Turn On The Lights" rocks... but it's not their best... "Fight the Tide" was my favorite SR album.

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
proud to be a Phan

I can't say it's as good as Fight The Tide, but I did really like this cd. It's a little on the short side though, but other than that, I really like it. Turn On the Lights, We Need Each Other, and Lay Down My Guns are my favorites, and his vocal performance is great, but I did like Fight the Tide a little better. Maybe I haven't given it enough time to sink in.

"You can't feel the summer all year long, you gotta know the cold, to know when it's gone." The Elms-Black Peach

"Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain" Dave Matthews Band-Two Step
saveferris1643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
Proud to be irish

After having abit of time to sink in, I give it a 7.5, but since I can't actually do that, I said 7. There are some very good songs on this CD (specifically, Turn on the Lights, Black Coal, Leap of Faith, Legacy), and Matt's best vocal performance yet (and one of the best I've ever heard by a male) can be found on Legacy. The ballads didn't seem totally authentic to me, personally. They didn't have the Sanctus touch as much in my opinion. However, I do like Something Heavenly.

*realizes this is CPF*

Unread 03-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Fight the Tide (technically, Alone)
Oops, sorry for some reason I thought it was the fight song, both songs are awesome.

Quote:
There are some very good songs on this CD (specifically, Turn on the Lights, Black Coal, Leap of Faith, Legacy), and Matt's best vocal performance yet (and one of the best I've ever heard by a male) can be found on Legacy. The ballads didn't seem totally authentic to me, personally. They didn't have the Sanctus touch as much in my opinion. However, I do like Something Heavenly.
Completely agree

Any idea on what type of guitar amp they used on turn on the lights?