Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #76
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWatford View Post
Jazzmasters are normal Fender scale.
I guess you're right, and they're okay I guess, I still don't like how goofy the body looks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niangelo View Post
So what about thinlines? Those are uber-cool.
The hollowbodies? Even with the stock pickups they are sweet. However, I don't want another hollowbody...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #77

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
The hollowbodies? Even with the stock pickups they are sweet. However, I don't want another hollowbody...
but then you could have a hollowbody with humbuckers (your artcore) and a semi-hollow with singles (a '69 Thinline)

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #78

Send a message via AIM to Hellfighter Send a message via Yahoo to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXguitar View Post
I guess you're right, and they're okay I guess, I still don't like how goofy the body looks...

It's really neat seeing the progression of this thread, seems like every time someone disproves your last reason for not liking fenders, you come up with something new...

interesting...
Unread 12-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #79
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
It's really neat seeing the progression of this thread, seems like every time someone disproves your last reason for not liking fenders, you come up with something new...

interesting...
someone can just not like fenders. Id in actuality be hard pressed to quantify my dislike of strats. In fact I would go so far as to say it is irrational, but I do not like them. Much in the same way that I do not like to eat raw tomatoes. Ill be darned if I can figure out why i don't like them, but I don't. Dogging ax will do nothing for fender or for you except be disagreeable. Let the man dislike his fenders.

I like flashy inlays and quilted maple and sg's. Heck, and SG with a AAAAA quilted maple top and a fancy inlay would really catch my eye. I think it might make some of the senior members here whose opinions I respect vomit at the aesthetics.

Different tastes for different people.

Hopeful for example is phenomenally knowledgeable and in fact played a huge part in me choosing the amp I did. However, he loves strats, and I do not. I do not see that as a big deal or worth dogging him. There is no reason to dog people for their preference, even if it seems silly to you.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Id in actuality be hard pressed to quantify my dislike of strats. In fact I would go so far as to say it is irrational, but I do not like them. Much in the same way that I do not like to eat raw tomatoes. Ill be darned if I can figure out why i don't like them, but I don't.
Bingo...I've noticed there's a ton of PRS hate in this thread just on the basis of "they're expensive" (subjective) and "they don't do anything for me"...yet there's ton of players out there who would rather shell out $2500 for a PRS than a Les Paul because for them the PRS is worth the money and does do something for them...the same could go for any other guitar or brand brought up in this thread.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #81
love will find a way

Send a message via AIM to E-rock
i woulb be one of those guys. id much MUCH rather dish the 2500 for PRS over a LP. at the same time though, theres other guitars id get before the PRS.

Isn't Music a lot like Math?
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #82
Some call me...Edeos?

Send a message via AIM to play/crk\th/sky
Quote:
someone can just not like fenders. Id in actuality be hard pressed to quantify my dislike of strats. In fact I would go so far as to say it is irrational, but I do not like them.
Not because they are the most awfully designed guitars? Floating bridge, placement of knobs, and with my Strat the neck is too thin so every time I do solos my fingers slip off of the bridge. It's a pretty decent sounding guitar, and plays decently if I'm not soloing.

http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...d.php?t=138658

cause a life without Christ is life that is never fixed
play/crk\th/sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #83
Your car crash eyes...

Sorry, that's my brother's profile, he doesn't log out.
Unread 12-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #84
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by play/crk\th/sky View Post
Not because they are the most awfully designed guitars? Floating bridge, placement of knobs, and with my Strat the neck is too thin so every time I do solos my fingers slip off of the bridge. It's a pretty decent sounding guitar, and plays decently if I'm not soloing.
I like thin necks. I do not mind the placements of the knobs. I am not fond of their floating bridges, but I do not like the hardtails either really. (though the floating bridge is really responsible for a certain flavor to the sound that I do not like personally)

I do not find them unergonomical. I just do not like the sound or aesthetics. To me they tend to look like a 50's diner theme or something.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by play/crk\th/sky View Post
all of these "awfully designed" issues are things that I've never had an issue with.

Floating bridge giving you tuning problems? Tighten the springs...problem solved. As BSPE noted, part of the Strat vibe is the bridge design. Hard tail Strats just don't sound the same to a lot of people.
Knob placement? It all depends on your strum motion. When I first picked up a Strat six years ago I really felt like the knobs were in an awkward place. Now I don't even notice they're there unless I'm feeling for them.
Neck too thin? I've never had an issue with the Fender neck being too thin to solo on...neither did Hendrix...go figure.

point being not that you're wrong, but that there's definitely people out there that think that all of the things you say are "awfully designed" are just part of the magic of a Fender Stratocaster.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #86
major 4th to a minor 4th

Is all this 'prove a guitar/brand' necessary? Isn't the idea that we don't like guitars that we "should" like. It actually says love. That's a bit much eh?

Anyway, more dislove. I don't love in any sense guitars with three pickups unless they're strats. Sounds irrational i know, but for the most part, i don't see how 5 positions is going to give a great deal of tonal variation over neck/both/bridge. 3 pu'd SGs. Argh. *vomit sounds*

I really dislike really shiny new guitars. I like a 'players guitar' as they call them. I think it goes beyond the AAAA figured birdseye flamed or whatever else thing. I like a guitar that is used and useful. Something to look at seems like a real waste. That's why i'm trying my best to always buy secondhand from now on. Something that has been used before, and it's also better for the environment. I see the appeal of the relic guitars because it has that feel of an old guitar that has been really well used. I might have to drop a guitar a couple of times to like it!

I flat out dislove paint jobs like jems and the like. A guitar is not a canvas. It's not art, it's an instrument. Art comes out when you play it. Same for the Zakk Wylde paint jobs. Infact, I really prefer to see some wood on a guitar. That might be why i like chipped guitars.
telecasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Much in the same way that I do not like to eat raw tomatoes.

You don't eat raw tomatoes. What kind of wierd dude are you (in additon to the fact that you don't like Fenders)?...............!
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasting View Post
It's not art, it's an instrument.
I disagree. The person/company that designs/builds any guitar looks at it as a piece of art.
Unread 12-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Freeland View Post
I disagree. The person/company that designs/builds any guitar looks at it as a piece of art.
eh...with so many of these guitars being mass produced, I'm guessing that while some might regard it as art, most probably regard it as a paycheck

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
eh...with so many of these guitars being mass produced, I'm guessing that while some might regard it as art, most probably regard it as a paycheck
I like to think of mine as a work of art.