Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #31
Guitars are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
Honestly though, are there any good players/bands that play PRS guitars?
http://www.prsguitars.com/artists/index.html

I'll let you be the judge. There's a few... But the mediocrity far outweighs the fabulous. And even then, most of the good guys on the list I'm pretty sure don't just play PRS.

Unread 12-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #32
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
How about guitars that you're not supposed to like, but do?

My friend's Squier bullet from the 70's is one of the best guitars I've played, except the 13th fret on the G string doesn't work.
Im not sure how a fret does not work, and I don't care how good the guitar feels, if it will not play 1 of the notes in that area, I would just call it broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock
Honestly though, are there any good players/bands that play PRS guitars?
Carlos Santana.

Mesas and PRS, given stereotypes, the man should play drop-tuned Nu-metal.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #33
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChipmunk View Post
Thank goodness I'm not the only one. Telecasters are Fender's best work. Strats are uncomfortable and awkward. Though mine (strat copy) has a really good tone and feel, its just nowhere near the warm, buttery goodness of my Schecter Tempest Custom or even my Epiphone Les Paul 100.
Everyone tells me that my Samick Strat copy sounds better than my Fender, but my Samick plays just a bit better than a tree-trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Im not sure how a fret does not work, and I don't care how good the guitar feels, if it will not play 1 of the notes in that area, I would just call it broken.

Carlos Santana.

Mesas and PRS, given stereotypes, the man should play drop-tuned Nu-metal.
I'm not a fan of Carlos Santana...

Last edited by thesteve; 12-17-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Mattlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #34
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Carlos Santana...
But the man can play, and he is certainly not playing the wind-up style.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #35
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Some of y'all reminded me of things I hate.

Carvins. Hideous! From the over-roundness to the headstock to the pickups to some of the outrageous finishes. Ugh!

335-esque semi-hollows. I've never liked them. They just sound honky, and don't really give the kind of cleans I like in rock nor do they have the resonance that I want in jazz. All solid or all hollow, plz thx.

And If I could go into basses...

HH basses. Singles give so much more note definition and worlds better of tone, the only humbucker bass that's remotely got it right is the Stingray.

Heck, if I went into amps, I'd have to honestly say that I don't like the sound of the small class A amps at all. I'd never get an Epi Valve Jr. or one of the Blackhearts that are all th rage on teh CGR now.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
How about guitars that you're not supposed to like, but do?

My friend's Squier bullet from the 70's is one of the best guitars I've played, except the 13th fret on the G string doesn't work.
not to be picky...but there's no way your friend has a Squier Bullet from the 1970s. I'm also not sure why you're not supposed to like vintage (early/mid 1980s) Squiers...the Bullet might be undersized for some, but early Squiers (particularly JV and SQ serials) are rated as highly as many Fender USA models from the late 70s and 80s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbfan View Post
Ask Your Favorite Band's guitarist. Fender Duo-sonic and an Encore (offshore made piece of plywood...literally).
indeed. We're not sure where the Encore is from...we're thinking UK...but it's kinda hard to tell.

the Duo-Sonic, FWIW, is an excellent sounding guitar...it's just really tiny.

it does seem a little goofy to me that certain brands are getting the "ugly" name affixed to them. Schecter offers a pretty wide range of models...as does Carvin...I know that there are definitely Carvin and Schecter guitars that, when a standard finish is applied, I think look pretty classy (a Carvin TL60 with a 3/3 headstock for example)...then again, every Carvin bass model is pretty unappealing to me.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #37
I'm on a horse.

Actually, I really think all Carvin guitars are hideous with the single exception of the California Carved Top (original, not the single cut) with covered or non-Carvin pickups.

Some of the Carvin basses are pretty nice, though.

Unread 12-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Actually, I really think all Carvin guitars are hideous with the single exception of the California Carved Top (original, not the single cut) with covered or non-Carvin pickups.

Some of the Carvin basses are pretty nice, though.
the funny thing is that to me, all of the things you don't like about the Carvin guitars (over roundness, headstock) apply even more to the basses.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #39
I'm on a horse.

It looks good on the basses.

Leave me to my taste.

Unread 12-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #40

Quote:
indeed. We're not sure where the Encore is from...we're thinking UK...but it's kinda hard to tell.
I've heard they're some of the first guitars made in Korea, but maybe they called the UK home before that.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #41

I dont care for the gibson les paul body shape, but I wouldnt mind having a historic r9 or something. I also dont care for any weird body shape, like bc rich, flying vs, and things like that.

I'm a tele and prs kind of guy(dont have any yet, but love the ones ive played) but all I have are 3 super strats kind of guitars
Fender Showmaster
Martin Hd-28
Thd Bivalve
Orange Tiny Terror
Boss DD-20
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Xotic RC Boost
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
Empress Tremolo
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Tech 21 Liverpool
spyrotheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #42

I'm gonna get heat for this one! I hate Martin Dreadnoughts!

I think they sound fantastic in the hands of all the great musicians who use them and love them.
I cant say anything bad about the famous Martin sound or tone. For whatever reason I just hate the
feel of their necks and have always felt that I had to fight a Martin to play it while I can cruise all day
On a Guild, or a Gibson. I guess maybe I'm an oddball but I simply don't like the feel of
the Martins I've played. It's a neck thing not a string guage issue or set up problem.
kent56p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #43
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
I'm not a huge fan of Martins, though they're alright. I prefer my Tacoma more . And I've never, ever found an Ibanez that I like... I'm really not sure why. The only two higher-end PRS's than mine I've ever played weren't great either. One sounded sorta muffled and dead, and the other just wasn't something special, though I had pretty much no chance to play it, so I can't really say it stank.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #44

You guys are a picky bunch

I guess I'm like the Will Rogers of guitars, I've hardly met any that I didn't like - not necessarily that I would want it as a "main" axe, but that it had some redeeming quality, even if it was a honky trashy garage band sorta thing, showed some potential, or was just competent enough for a beginner to learn on - no shame in that. OK though, here are a few:

Guitars with gold plated hardware. Yeah, there are a lot of great axes out there with gold plating. To me, gold plating on anything looks cheap, and like it was intended to appeal to a demographic that likes shiny gaudy things. It doesn't last very long either, and looks really bad when it is worn off in places. This is probably a good thing for me, my hands eat thru plating like you wouldn't believe.

Carvins - I didn't think of it until I saw Rainer's post. First, I remember their guitars from an earlier era - they all seemed downright clunky ugly to me, like their products were made for mail order nerds. The 12 polepiece per coil pickups look ugly to me for no real reason. In general the ones I see don't do anything for me, aesthetics-wise. For as many years I have been playing (decades), I don't remember ever seeing on in person, so I have never had the opportunity to look it over, play it, and say -" Oh, this IS a well made ax...", so therefore, somehow to me, they have a mail order catalog stigma - like those ones addressed to yer mom that have products like nose hair clippers and kitty litter deodorant.

Gibson Flying V's, Explorers - These are standard Gibson recipe - mahogany (OK, sometimes Korina, still a species of mahogany) neck + body + 2 humbucker: the conservative Gibson Co. only came up with these oddly dimensioned guitars in some sort of attempt to compete with "those beatnic upstarts at Fender, making those outlandish guitars" Like a bunch of old fuddies who came up with something outlandish in shape, trying to be really cool, but it was just their same stuff with odd uncomfortable shapes. The Moderne, you gotta be kidding me...well actually that was just a legend they never realeased until recently. Sorry guys, form should at least make an attempt to follow function.

The reverse body Firebirds; kinda the same thing as above, except they had the cool sounding mini humbuckers - the banjo tuners !? why ?! Also, why would they actually release a guitar that was so neck heavy? it would have looked better with the body as a "non reverse", and would have hung nice with no neck heaviness. IMO, they woulda sold a lot more; its a great sounding axe.

"Super strats" in general. In the 80's, they ruled; it seemed like almost everybody was playing them. That was over 20 years ago, c'mon. No good reason, I just don't like them.

Relic'd new guitars - people actually pay extra for that ?
Unread 12-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #45
Eaten by a grue

I LOVE the Explorer body! I can't even explain it either.

I think it has something to do with seeing Dave Grohl play one when I was 15. It's just quintessentially rock 'n' roll.
That's why Jesus would use a 5-10 watt tube combo. Then Jesus can get that nice breakup He likes at a manageable volume. A volume that is somewhat formal but still says I'm here to party. Much like tuxedo t-shirt Jesus.
"If all experienced God in the same way and returned Him an identical worship, the song of the Church triumphant would have no symphony, it would be like an orchestra in which all the instruments played the same note." - C.S. Lewis
niangelo is offline   Reply With Quote