Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #16
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by niangelo View Post
Is it perhaps the model of Taylor is putting some people off?

Sure, the low-end stuff is rough, but another leader at my church plays a 610... that's not exactly a low-end model, and it sounds sublime.
I've played over a dozen of them in the studio, on stage, at NAMM, in the store, in someone's home and they ALL have a certain cold or plastic characteristic to their tone that I find unpleasing.
To be a little more specific, it's a mid-to-high frequency resonance combined with a somewhat unnatural sounding low end that gets into my ear and just irks me to no end.
From 1xx to 8xx series (never played a 9xx), they have all had it.

Maybe they are great guitars for some people but I just do not care for them.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
Sarcasm? What's that?

sounds kinda like why i don't like them. i've never played one, and i'm sure they play great, but they just don't sound pleasing to me.

maybe this is a by-product of being brought up in a family of Martin diehards...

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
What5647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #18

Quote:
maybe this is a by-product of being brought up in a family of Martin diehards...
That may be true for me as well...
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
For me...

Gibson acoustics...it's not so much that I think they're terrible...but I don't feel like the $2000 Gibson acoustics I've played were any better than the $600 Gretsch acoustics in the same store...and it wasn't an issue of old strings or anything...it just didn't compare to any of the other $2000 acoustics in the store...heck...it didn't really compare to any of the $1000 acoustics either.

Anything with a quilt-top or any other overly fancy finish:
Sorry Carvin (and my friend that works for Carvin agrees with me), but some of the stuff people order from you looks super gross...dragon-burst quilt with gold hardware makes me queasy for sure. Ditto to you PRS...At some point I feel like your guitars are meant to be art on my wall, not something I might drop on a regular basis. Tolerable quilts and other fancy finishes seem to be few and far between.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #20

I have yet to play a Gibson Les Paul that I like. I think it could be partly the price tag because I have played and now own a LP replica that I love.

Line 6 guitars. Great concept...bad quality.

Strats - they just feel awkward to my fingers.
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I hate strats. I said it. I just do not like the sound or feel. I like teles, but I just do not like your typical SSS strat, and for HSS or HH I would prefer something else.
Those and telecasters are the guitars I hate!!! I hate strats more though... where I live, Strats are all that music stores sell...

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #22
Good Grief!!!

I like my Taylor quite a bit, but I'll join the hatin' on:

1) Ovations

2) PRS electrics - it's not that they're "bad," per-se', I just find them uninspiring

3) Seagull acoustics (I can feel the flames coming now...) Once you're past the ugly headstock, there's still a certain nuance to their sound that doesn't do well with me. Perhaps gtrdave and I should switch acoustics for a while...

4) B.C. Rich - they look so bad that I'm not sure they could sound good, even though they may very well have the capability.

Nate
Unread 12-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #23

Gibson. Not a fan.
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #24
Your car crash eyes...

I've never played one, but I've never seen a Carvin that didn't make me gag.

Strats - I own one. Such a terrible design. That trem? What the heck? Why would you ever put the volume/tone knobs there? I love their sound, but they've got so much in the way. And hard-tail Strats just don't sound right.

PRS - I can't stand the way they look, and their tone was never anything special to me.

Taylors are too "pretty" sounding. They sound too "perfect."

Schecters - See PRS, just costing 1/4th of the cost.

Takamine - I've only played one Takamine that I liked, and it's my uncles. Very good guitar.

And for those who said Ovation, since when were you supposed to like Ovations? They're nice to have around when you're playing with really awful people. You can't hear them then.
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #25
Guitars are cool

SSS Strats - Hate 'em. The sound is awful to my ears. Maybe it's because I've played a HSS Strat for so long, but I hate the three single coil sound. The usual Strat neck doesn't help either. It's hard to explain, but basically my Strat is the best I've played yet.

ES-Series - I'm a Jazz guy so I should like these guitars, right? Nope. Definitely not right. Still have yet to play one that I didn't hate. Granted, I still haven't been able to set one up to my specifications either, so it still plays like an electric instead of the hollowbody it should. But still.... They should know what I want.

Martin - This is probably a controversial one. But I've played I think a total of two Martin guitars that I've liked. Now, before you call blasphemy, I've only played three Taylors that I really liked, one of which I own. So there ya go.

Les Paul - Can't stand the weight. Moving on.

PRS - Most overrated guitars in the world if you ask me. I've played dozens of these guys and I've yet to find one that actually plays and sounds exceptional.
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #26
Your car crash eyes...

Honestly though, are there any good players/bands that play PRS guitars?

Creed, Nickleback, Evanescence, Seether, 12 Stones, Drowning Pool, Three Doors Down...

Does Wind-Up records have a deal with PRS?
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Gibson. Not a fan.
Slander! Evil! Phillistine!
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
Thank you and goodnight.
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #28
Your car crash eyes...

How about guitars that you're not supposed to like, but do?

My friend's Squier bullet from the 70's is one of the best guitars I've played, except the 13th fret on the G string doesn't work.
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #29
I'm Not Really Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
I hate strats. I said it. I just do not like the sound or feel. I like teles, but I just do not like your typical SSS strat, and for HSS or HH I would prefer something else.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one. Telecasters are Fender's best work. Strats are uncomfortable and awkward. Though mine (strat copy) has a really good tone and feel, its just nowhere near the warm, buttery goodness of my Schecter Tempest Custom or even my Epiphone Les Paul 100.
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #30

Quote:
How about guitars that you're not supposed to like, but do?
Ask Your Favorite Band's guitarist. Fender Duo-sonic and an Encore (offshore made piece of plywood...literally).

As for me, I would say my Jay Turser acoustic. Cheap, but it sounds just as good as a '67 Guild I played once.
Thank you and goodnight.