Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #16
is called by God

Send a message via AIM to Decency Send a message via MSN to Decency Send a message via Yahoo to Decency
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerRocks2day View Post
That's what I've been trying to say. I just want to know how to make my own style of singing.
Just sing. That's all you can do. Some singers are more breathy and soft to get the note. Some can just let it fly and wail. It's all about what you can do.

Decency is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #17
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
That's what I've been trying to say. I just want to know how to make my own style of singing.
It wont be a conscious thing. As long as you're not trying to mimic, it will happen naturally with practice and patience.

Also, get a vocal coach. Vocal coaches ftw!

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to crazychu
be sure to mouth the vowels

AAAAAAA
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (BIG SMILE!)
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (I, wide enough to fit your last 3 fingers in your mouth)
OOOOOOOOOO (perfect hole)
OUUUUUUUUUUU (perfect smaller hole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Once you've done that you should have a much better idea what your voice can and can't do. The purpose of this isn't to tell you which singer you should copy. The purpose is to discover what your voice can and can't do. Once you know your strengths, weaknesses, and limits your in a really good place to develop your personal style.
excellent advice, much better than what i did, playing and singing through worship practice playing around with different keys and wasting valuable time practicing because of what I should have been practicing on my own, but now i have a good feel about what im capable of.

with the advice above, sing songs when your driving in your car, get a feel with what your range is!

Guitars:
Fender Deluxe Player's Strat, 3-Tone sunburst
Squire standard Strat MIJ (first electric, project guitar now)
Epiphone PR-200 (my first guitar, me love)
Takamine EG-531sc

Amp: Peavey Classic 50

Board, a Pedaltrain Pro:
Line 6 DL4, Morley Bad Horsie 2, EHX Litle Big Muff, Boss BD-2, Boss Tr-2, Boss DD-7 /w FS-5U, Boss RV-5, 1980
s MXR M-204 Distortion+, MI Audio V.2 Crunchbox, Keeley Boss BD-2 Blues Driver & a FULLTONE OCD

all patched up with Hand Soldered Lava Cable ELCs and Monster Prolink patches FTW

Future Gear: American Blonde Fender Blues Jr, the WORM, Digitech Whammy, BYOC phaser, SONIC STOMPP??
crazychu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #19
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychu View Post
with the advice above, sing songs when your driving in your car, get a feel with what your range is!
I actually have to disagree with this. Its hard to have the proper posture while you are in your car and posture is VERY important to tone.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #20
Taster of Pork!

I've got a question, my mom believes that screaming-type music is damage to your vocals. Is this true? My mom believes that heavy singing can damage your vocals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Know him? He was delicious!!
JerRocks2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
I've got a question, my mom believes that screaming-type music is damage to your vocals. Is this true? My mom believes that heavy singing can damage your vocals.
it will damage them...that's why there's a separate thread for screaming questions in the Vocals forum...screaming will pretty much guarantee jacked up vocals.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #22
to begin again

Send a message via AIM to fiveminuteplan Send a message via MSN to fiveminuteplan Send a message via Yahoo to fiveminuteplan
Quote:
I'm trying to check out singing and sometimes I try warm-ups that I used to use from Chorus in school. I'm trying to aim to sing like Chris Cornell, Gerard Way, Chino Mireno, etc. Any website or suggestions that can help?
Don't try to sing like someone else, it's a long road to frustration that can waste years of time. If you have a voice that kind of sounds like that already, then develop what you have. Otherwise, you need to be yourself and focus on a unique style. Top vocal coaches in the world will give you this same advice.

I'll tell you what helped me develop my voice better than anything. Look up Singing Success on Google and click on the first result.
Unread 12-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #23
Look me in the eyes

Send a message via AIM to asiammyself
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveminuteplan View Post
I'll tell you what helped me develop my voice better than anything. Look up Singing Success on Google and click on the first result.
Did this do you any good? The website seems like an infomercial I would see on tv. Plus 199, thats a pretty big price tag....Did it work its magic?
asiammyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 01:28 AM   #24
to begin again

Send a message via AIM to fiveminuteplan Send a message via MSN to fiveminuteplan Send a message via Yahoo to fiveminuteplan
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiammyself View Post
Did this do you any good? The website seems like an infomercial I would see on tv. Plus 199, thats a pretty big price tag....Did it work its magic?
I'll admit, the website makes it look too good to be true. It does work though. It's basically a series of vocal exercises that seem really silly. The exercises don't necessarily improve your voice in and of themselves, although they include probably the best vocal warm-up exercise ever. What they are designed to do is to teach the actual mechanics of good singing, which is critical. Personally, they helped me understand the different vocal coordinations and how\when to use them. Previously, I didn't even know the different vocal coordinations existed, let alone how to get into them.

I was able to take my voice from a nasal, unstable mess to a natural, full and healthy tone in about two months. There are a lot of vocal techniques and suggestions out there such as raising your soft palette, smiling while you sing and "giving more support" (pushing) for high notes. These things only create strain and get you focusing on a million different things while you sing. It was very frustrating for me to try to maintain everything at the same time. Singing Success makes singing seem so natural. The guy who developed it is a form SLS (Speech Level Singing) vocal coach.