Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #1

Good drums for $700?

Well i've been playing guitar and piano for like 6 years and now I decided to try and learn drums, so are there any good drums sets WITH cymbals for under $700? Idk what i want them to sound like maybe like Three Days Grace or breaking Benjamin if thats possable for under $700 lol . Here's some i've been looking at.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...als?sku=490253
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...dle?sku=443278

unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #2

Anybody?
unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
JT

I don't know what those bands sound like, but with drums in particular, a lot of the sound is going to be governed by the choice of heads and the way you tune them. I haven't played either of those sets, but in general I've had good experience with the lower-end kits made by companies that have higher end kits--like Tama or Pearl or whoever.

My standard recommendation is to go used on the cymbals, though. I don't think you'll be very happy with the sound of cymbals that can be purchased new on your budget. I'd look for Zildian A or K series, Sabian AA or HH series, or Paiste Alpha/Dimensions/Traditional/Signature/Sound Formula/they-may-have-something-new series. Personally, I enjoy the sound that a little aging tends to bring to a cymbal. A little less harsh.
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Hey ya'll, watch this!

I'd go with the Ludwigs. I don't care for that configuration but it's pretty standard for a starting point.

Cymbals are the bugger. You'll spend more on them and stands than the drums. You can use the cymbal pack that comes with that kit but you'll be needing to be on the lookout for a couple of better options. It really will depend on what you are playing as to what cymbal fits your style.

A basic starting point would be a pair of 14 inch high hats, a 14 inch crash, and a 16 inch crash/ride. It goes downhill from there.

Do yourself a favor and get the Steve Smith DVD's. It'll keep you motivated.

I'm a firm believer in learning the rudiments. They are the common language of a drummer and are also the fastest way to build chops. Get a rudimental book and start from page one.

J.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
The only way you're going to score a full kit and a decent set of cymbals under $700 is to look at the used market.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
The only way you're going to score a full kit and a decent set of cymbals under $700 is to look at the used market.
I'll agree to a point. Most times when I've looked at used kits the seller was asking a bit off the new full retail price. I, personally, can only remember two good kits I've ever seen bought used that came at a good price. If you happen to run across a guy who needs to sell to pay a DUI fine or to leave town fast some times you can do really well.

For a beginner I can't say that they'll really know the difference between a cellar dweller set of Ludwigs and DW. Same goes for cymbals. Most beginners start out with little or no control, they simply pound until they develop better control. We all started out that way.

J.
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
I'll agree to a point. Most times when I've looked at used kits the seller was asking a bit off the new full retail price. I, personally, can only remember two good kits I've ever seen bought used that came at a good price. If you happen to run across a guy who needs to sell to pay a DUI fine or to leave town fast some times you can do really well.
Weird. Around here it's not uncommon to find a complete set of drums (no hardware) for under $200. Maybe it's a regional thing.

To the OP...another kit you might consider that I've seen a few bands using around here is the Gretsch Catalina. There's a few different models, but from what I've talked to some guys, they seem to be really solid kits for the price. If you can find one used for a good price, I'd jump on it and figure out the hardware situation later (I don't think the new ones come with hardware or cymbals)

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Weird. Around here it's not uncommon to find a complete set of drums (no hardware) for under $200. Maybe it's a regional thing.

To the OP...another kit you might consider that I've seen a few bands using around here is the Gretsch Catalina. There's a few different models, but from what I've talked to some guys, they seem to be really solid kits for the price. If you can find one used for a good price, I'd jump on it and figure out the hardware situation later (I don't think the new ones come with hardware or cymbals)
Yeah, it's really a tight market for gear in some places. To get to a really good shop that carries percussion gear I need to drive two and a half hours one way. You simply can't buy new gear around here and the used gear that is of good quality tends to stay off the market. Add to that the fact the live music scene is pretty small if you're a drummer. There's just not that much around that is up for sale at any one time.

If you want to play gigs around here you have to be in a country band. I know some pretty amazing players who just sit behind their kits on the weekend bored out of their skulls for the lack of any better venues. There's no real demand for a huge kit for doing a standard country gig. The last time I played anywhere I just used a snare drum and a set of buck shots and called it good. Bluegrass is huge around here but they don't allow no drummers up on that stage. That's why I don't really play any more.

I used to go with a buddy on road trips to large college towns at the end of spring quarter shopping for gear. Guys would be moving on and getting jobs and stuff and selling their gear at huge discounts. The pawn shops would be busting at the seams with guitars and cymbals. You could find some really neat drums from African students that way and they always seemed happy to sell them to someone who would play them. Those were the glory days before ebay when you could find a Twin Reverb for a couple of hundred and Marshall stacks could be found in yard sales.

J.
Unread 02-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
WILL DRUM FOR YOGURT

If you want a $700 new, you have pretty slim chances of finding some good sets. Usually some good new sets are worth around $1,000. If you find a good priced used one, make sure most of the drums (and cymbals) are in good shape before you purchase them: (you might want to try them out).
Fallin Up Drumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #10

It is tough to get a decent setup for $700 in the new market. You can make a lesser drum set sound good, with the right heads, and proper tuning, but there is little to be done to make bad cymbals sound good. My advice would be to try and see what you can find used particularly with the cymbals. If that doesn't work then an entry level set from any of the major manufacturers will get you started, but be prepared to upgrade the cymbals at a later date, because you won't be happy with what you can get for Cymbals and a drum set new in that price range for long.
Folk_guy is offline   Reply With Quote