Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

My A&L Ami Cedar

I had some time today to take some pictures and record a little sound clip of my new Art & Lutherie Ami Cedar.
For those who don't know, A&L is owned by Godin. This is their least expensive line of guitars as far as I know. There are a few variations of the Amis. My Ami is the solid cedar topped version of the instrument. You can see it on their site here. I got it from Elderly Instruments for about $250 USD shipped. A great price for a well done Canadian guitar. I was going to get the spruce topped one, but Elderly found what appeared to be a problem with the neck angle of that one and took it off the market. That is why I buy from Elderly. If the factory misses something, or something gets thrown out of place during shipment from the factory, Elderly catches it during their own setup and inspection (this service is free of charge). They are very, very picky. I'm actually glad I ended up with the cedar one now.

It's a pretty little guitar for sure. The sound is what I'd personally call balanced. It's not particularly bright and it doesn't have any boomy bass response either. It's very well built. You can tell A&L really takes pride in these instruments. You even get a checklist with the guitars that has the handwritten initials of each person that did the various things to the instrument as it was being built. They also include some really nice little booklets with care instructions, truss rod wrench, etc.
The only thing I can think of that I'm not crazy about is the rosette. Instead of being glued into a channel in the top so it is level with the top, it's actually just glued directly to the top so it stands up a bit. It does add some visual interest. I'm sure just gluing it on to the top is one thing that helps keep the price of these instruments down. I can live with it.

I'll attach a few pictures and a sound clip below. The sound clip starts out using fingers only. When it gets to the second strumming part that starts with a Bm chord I am using a pick. The pick is a Dunlop .73 nylon, and I was picking over different parts of the top to get some different sounds. I've never been much of a fan of picking close to the bridge, but I did that a little for those who are used to and like that sound more.
This is the guitar I'll be playing the most now.

If you guys have any questions this didn't answer, ask away and I'll try to answer them.

P.S. I almost forgot. It comes with Godin strings which are obviously made by D'Addario. I put Dean Markley Alchemy Gold PhosBronze 11's on it.
Also the gigbag that comes with it is average, not great by any means. I might get a good case eventually. I am the only one to ever move around my guitars though.

Last edited by gg7; 04-07-2008 at 10:39 PM.
gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
That sounds a lot like my AMI.

One thing interesting I've found about these is they seem to like lighter strings. Just something to try.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
gg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
That sounds a lot like my AMI.

One thing interesting I've found about these is they seem to like lighter strings. Just something to try.
Nice.

Yeah, I actually have 11's on now (they were on when I recorded). I edited that into my post after you'd already read it probably.
I like the DM Alchemy 11's better than the Godin's that are really D'Addarios that came with it. They were also 80/20 bronze it seems whereas the Alchemy are PhosBronze. I agree though, the guitar does like this lighter gauge, and so do I.
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I've actually played an AMI (not mine) strung up with 10s, and that sang out very well. The thinness of lighter gauges seems to compliment the overall thin tone of the guitar, rather than be a detriment. They have a very distinct voice.

My AMI is still my main choice when just playing around at home.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
gg7

10's? Wow. Now I might have to give them a go eventually, just out of curiosity.
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Godin/Seagull Man

That sounds like an awesome guitar for $250. I have been pretty much stuck on dreadnought guitars but I am beginning to appreciate smaller guitars now.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
gg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
That sounds like an awesome guitar for $250. I have been pretty much stuck on dreadnought guitars but I am beginning to appreciate smaller guitars now.
It really is an amazing deal at the price. Even some of the folk and dread sized A&L Guitars can be had for around $300 and just under at a good price.
The more time I've spent with it over the past few days, the more I've liked it. I've been a fan of smaller guitars for a while now because of the sound as well as the comfort.
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
The Secret Agentiest.

Nice, G. I like A&L.
She's a beaut. (I've never posted in the Guitar forum before. This is just for you, dude. )
You anchor me back down
SecretAgentRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
gg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentRat View Post
Nice, G. I like A&L.
She's a beaut. (I've never posted in the Guitar forum before. This is just for you, dude. )
Thanks Savannah.

Woo! A historic moment.