Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
Red Sox Rocker

Problem with Intonation (?)...advice...

Okay, so I'm not 100% sure what to do here, but my acoustic has an issue. When I try and play a note on the 13th fret of the high E string, it gives me the note for the 14th fret, with a bit of rattling. I also get the rattling on the 7th fret of that string, but it's the correct tone. Weirder still, I can bend the E string at the 13th fret, and I can get the correct note...when it's bended!

I think the neck is also slightly bowed.

What can I do to fix it?

~A good friend of mine
"Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail..."
~Coheed and Cambria, The End Complete V: On the Brink
Tale of the Nine: my Songwriting project!
"Tails flies away, but the Link hookshots him, beats him with the magic hammer, boomerangs him in the head, bombs him, freezes him and then lights him on fire, creates blocks to through at him, shoots him with arrows, and then whacks him with the master sword. That's one heck of a bat belt that Link has there. Link advances." (From the Video Game Showdown)
+SEAL+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Your 14th fret is a little high on the high E string side. It can be tapped down a bit, though I don't know if you really would want to do it yourself.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Red Sox Rocker

Okay, thanks. Is that all, then? (And how much does that usually cost?)
~A good friend of mine
"Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail..."
~Coheed and Cambria, The End Complete V: On the Brink
Tale of the Nine: my Songwriting project!
"Tails flies away, but the Link hookshots him, beats him with the magic hammer, boomerangs him in the head, bombs him, freezes him and then lights him on fire, creates blocks to through at him, shoots him with arrows, and then whacks him with the master sword. That's one heck of a bat belt that Link has there. Link advances." (From the Video Game Showdown)
+SEAL+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #4

I think that could also be a problem with humidity. I believe I just read an article stating that one of the signs of a dry guitar is bowing at the 14th fret. You can get all kinds of good info relating to humidity and guitars here at Taylor's website.

Even if humidity's not your problem it's good to know about when your dealing with acoustics in the winter time. Hope this helps.
18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; 21 and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

Eph 5:18-21 (NAS)
Steve353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to RK_lover Send a message via MSN to RK_lover Send a message via Yahoo to RK_lover Send a message via Skype™ to RK_lover
I have this problem with the 18th fret of the third string on my electric....is it the same cause?
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #6

Sounds like you need a good setup and possible some fret leveling. If you are handy with tools you can carefully make some small changes. A good luthier can do the work, probably for $50 to $100 depending on how much needs to be done.

First thing, capo the first fret and hold down the 6th string at the 13th fret. At the 6th fret there should be an ever-so-small gap. About .010 to .013 inches. Just enough to see if you look carefully. If the gap is not correct, your truss rod needs adjustment. Instructions abound on the internet. Just be sure to make very small adjustments, about 1/4 turn of the nut max. Let it sit for a while or even overnight, then make an additional adjustment if needed.

If the truss rod is ok, then look at the nut and see if the slots are deep enough. Basically, fretting at the first fret should be fairly easy. There are instructions on the internet for measuring this also. If the nut is too tall, and most are, it takes an experienced person with the right tools to cut the slots deeper. It is a quick job and won't cost much, and is included in a professional setup if you take it to the shop.

Next, measure the height of the strings at the 12th fret. This tells you if your saddle is the correct height. If it is too high, it is hard to play. If it is too low, you get fret buzzing.

For fret buzzing above approx the 12th fret, adjusting the truss rod won't help because it doesn't reach that part of the neck. If your basic setup is ok, you are looking at having frets leveled or filed, or possibly a loose fret hammered in firmly. Filing your frets isn't difficult, but is something that should be done with care and in small increments. If there is one high spot or rough spot, I am happy to make a try at it, but if it isn't fixed with a minor amount of work I would just take it to a good luthier.
RadicalGBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
If it's only one fret, though, it shouldn't need a total set up to fix.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Hey, I can change this!!!

Yup, it's a high fret.

NOTHING to do with intonation and NOTHING to do with the truss rod

set a straight ruler between the strings and it'll rock slightly, pivoting on the high fret.

if it's ok in a bend then its only very slightly high.

I use very fine wet & dry sandpaper, leaving the strings on, and just buff the area of the high fret, then try it again..... you need about 1/10 of a mm off it, VERY little!!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote