Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #76
Baritone ax'er
 
Rock 'n Christ's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 519
after capoeing on 5 to achieve standard tuning, can/would I play the same chords with the same chord formation/fingering as I would with a normal guitar in standard tuning? Or would I play the same chords, but different formation/fingering?

If the latter is true, how will I determine the new fingering for the chord(s)?

__________________

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal


92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack


Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #77
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
after capoeing on 5 to achieve standard tuning, can/would I play the same chords with the same chord formation/fingering as I would with a normal guitar in standard tuning? Or would I play the same chords, but different formation/fingering?

If the latter is true, how will I determine the new fingering for the chord(s)?
when you put the capo on the 5th fret you're in standard tuning (EADGBE) so it's just like playing any other standard tuned guitar.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #78
Baritone ax'er
 
Rock 'n Christ's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 519
so for the chord Bsus for example (fingering=1st finger on 2nd fret 5th string. 3rd finger on 4th fret 4th string. 4th finger, 4th fret, 3rd string), I would play the same chord with the exact same fingering (as far as what string each of my fingers go on) but itd be on the 7th fret and 9th fret after capoeing on 5 instead of the 2nd and 4th fret.


If so, then I will go to GC to try out the Baritone with my amp, I'll play in Drop B and standard since those are my two main tunings and see how it sounds with the presets on my amp. hopefully I wont have much to worry about.
__________________

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal


92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack


Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #79
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
so for the chord Bsus for example (fingering=1st finger on 2nd fret 5th string. 3rd finger on 4th fret 4th string. 4th finger, 4th fret, 3rd string), I would play the same chord with the exact same fingering (as far as what string each of my fingers go on) but itd be on the 7th fret and 9th fret after capoeing on 5 instead of the 2nd and 4th fret.
yes, exactly.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #80
Baritone ax'er
 
Rock 'n Christ's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 519
and I assume the same would go for drop tunings as well, as far as the fingering after capoeing and dropping the low B to an A, right?

Now its a matter of buying a good capo, here are three links to capoes, LMK what you think would be best for using with the Baritone (I will be using this capo a lot, so it needs to be good):

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...roductId=86833

http://www.monkeyjunkie.com/product/.../SHUBB-C2.html

and for this last link to a capo, I'm not talking about buying this exact capo from this exact company, I'm just looking at the shape to see what's best:

http://www.wholenote.com/item--MC.KGEB


TIA
-Cam

Also, what thickness of strings would guys recommend me putting on? If it really matters, what brand of strings would you also recommend?


remember that I'll be playing anywhere from Drop B to standard tuning, so I probably wont be putting on anything thicker than 14's
__________________

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal


92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack



Last edited by thesteve; 11-26-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #81
Skynyrd Gomer
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Pulaski, VA
Posts: 829
Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Unless I'm just missing something or you like playing along with records. What is the point of using a capo on a Baritone? I mean you can still use say the fingering of a G chord but it will just be a D chord. I just don't see the point in using a capo. But like I said I could just be missing something, if I am please point it out
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #82
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59 View Post
Unless I'm just missing something or you like playing along with records. What is the point of using a capo on a Baritone? I mean you can still use say the fingering of a G chord but it will just be a D chord. I just don't see the point in using a capo. But like I said I could just be missing something, if I am please point it out
well...if I had a baritone guitar and all my friends had guitars in standard tuning, I could slap a capo on the 5th fret and be tuned the same as everyone else.

or...as BSPE mentioned before...if you wanted to play in Drop B, you could tune the guitar to Drop A and capo on the 2nd fret...and voila Drop B.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #83
Registered User
 

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 482
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...apo?sku=361502

This shubb capo is the newer model of the C capo you previously linked to.

I highly recommend buying one
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #84
Baritone ax'er
 
Rock 'n Christ's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBongo View Post
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...apo?sku=361502

This shubb capo is the newer model of the C capo you previously linked to.

I highly recommend buying one

thanks for the link, now I need to find the right bag (soft shell). I can't get a hardshell since my amp is probably pushing 50lbs, I have to carry it like a large box with both hands, so I have to strap my guitar onto my back, so I need to find a good, decent soft shell case for the Baritone, any suggestions?
__________________

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal


92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack


Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #85
Poster Boy for G.A.S
 
Joseiy's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 910
Send a message via AIM to Joseiy
My bass amp is 45 I don't have much trouble taking my bass in a hardshell case and my bass amp. But I do have problems with running into doors..... But seriously hard case is always worth it you don't wanna have to pay 200 bucks for breaking the neck. Not to mention all the various other things that could happen to it. I have one of the Hardened soft cases for my Alvarez Acoustic which is way better than a regular gig bag. I can stand on it. I'm not sure if they are available for Electric.
__________________
Journal!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

I thought I had GAS...I'm nominating you for the official poster boy.
Electric Guitars Fender Highway One Telecaster
Amps Vox AC15 W/ Jensen Modtone, Crate V50
Effects Korg Pitchblack, SBN BDAB ,SBN Lil Eagle, EHX Holy Grail
Powered by a Visual Sound 1 Spot,
Joseiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #86
Skynyrd Gomer
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Pulaski, VA
Posts: 829
Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
As far as cases go I would get a hardshell or a not sure what they're called but I think Peavey just calls them Lite(that may be wrong). The Peavey case like I have is made like a hardshell case but it's cloth like a gig bag and has a hard foam(it may have a name) on the in side. It's pretty much a hardshell case with out the extra weight. I'll look for a link.

Here is a link to the Peavey case, but I don't think they offer a baritone size case. But you could try one at a local dealer and see if it would work.http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...ite%20Case.cfm
I have one and like it, but I do like hardshells better.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #87
Baritone ax'er
 
Rock 'n Christ's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseiy View Post
My bass amp is 45 I don't have much trouble taking my bass in a hardshell case and my bass amp. But I do have problems with running into doors..... But seriously hard case is always worth it you don't wanna have to pay 200 bucks for breaking the neck. Not to mention all the various other things that could happen to it. I have one of the Hardened soft cases for my Alvarez Acoustic which is way better than a regular gig bag. I can stand on it. I'm not sure if they are available for Electric.


my amp is pretty big, so its very hard to carry it with one hand while having to carry a guitar in the other hand, so I just want a soft shell case like the Roadrunner. does anyone have any recommendations for soft shell cases?



I'm not trying to be rude about not really looking into hard shell cases, but I just think that it'll be better for my situation. Also, I will likely be getting a FBV Express pedal for my amp, so I'll need a case that can hold the pedal as well.
__________________

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal


92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack


Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 01:15 AM   #88
Skynyrd Gomer
 

Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Pulaski, VA
Posts: 829
Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Not trying to be rude but couldn't you make more than one trip to carry you gear into the places you would be playing in. And unless you get a cheap gig bag the better made gig bags cost in the same range as some of the cheaper hardshell cases. And in my opinion the amount of protection that a hardshell case offer compaired to a gig bag, I think gig bags are a waist of money. But also something is better than nothing. And depending on the length of the baritone a bass gig bag or case would more than likely be a better choice.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #89
Baritone ax'er
 
Rock 'n Christ's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59 View Post
Not trying to be rude but couldn't you make more than one trip to carry you gear into the places you would be playing in. And unless you get a cheap gig bag the better made gig bags cost in the same range as some of the cheaper hardshell cases. And in my opinion the amount of protection that a hardshell case offer compaired to a gig bag, I think gig bags are a waist of money. But also something is better than nothing. And depending on the length of the baritone a bass gig bag or case would more than likely be a better choice.

It's about a 5 min. walk from the car into the basement of my church where I would be playing, my friend will be there, but his hands are completely full, its much less time comsuming and more convienient on my end (not to mention cheaper, unless something breaks like you mentioned, but I will be all the more careful with a soft shell case).
__________________

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal


92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack


Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #90
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
my amp is pretty big, so its very hard to carry it with one hand while having to carry a guitar in the other hand, so I just want a soft shell case like the Roadrunner. does anyone have any recommendations for soft shell cases?
Your amp is the Spider II 112, yes?
If so, it's not THAT big and not very heavy for a 1x12 combo.
I know. I own one.
As far as a soft case, just be sure to get something good and padded and be mindful that you have to be very careful when transporting the guitar anywhere.
I use a Godin bag for my Solidac. It's a very good quality gig bag and I'm careful enough with it to protect the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
I'm not trying to be rude about not really looking into hard shell cases, but I just think that it'll be better for my situation. Also, I will likely be getting a FBV Express pedal for my amp, so I'll need a case that can hold the pedal as well.
The FBV Express can be hauled in the back of the Spider II.
Again, that's what I do with mine; controller, cat5 cable and power cord for the amp all store nicely in the giant empty space of the Spider II.
Just don't poke a hole in the speaker and, hey, you can use the magnet to hold the FBV steady.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2