Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #76
Baritone ax'er

after capoeing on 5 to achieve standard tuning, can/would I play the same chords with the same chord formation/fingering as I would with a normal guitar in standard tuning? Or would I play the same chords, but different formation/fingering?

If the latter is true, how will I determine the new fingering for the chord(s)?

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack

Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #77

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
after capoeing on 5 to achieve standard tuning, can/would I play the same chords with the same chord formation/fingering as I would with a normal guitar in standard tuning? Or would I play the same chords, but different formation/fingering?

If the latter is true, how will I determine the new fingering for the chord(s)?
when you put the capo on the 5th fret you're in standard tuning (EADGBE) so it's just like playing any other standard tuned guitar.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #78
Baritone ax'er

so for the chord Bsus for example (fingering=1st finger on 2nd fret 5th string. 3rd finger on 4th fret 4th string. 4th finger, 4th fret, 3rd string), I would play the same chord with the exact same fingering (as far as what string each of my fingers go on) but itd be on the 7th fret and 9th fret after capoeing on 5 instead of the 2nd and 4th fret.

If so, then I will go to GC to try out the Baritone with my amp, I'll play in Drop B and standard since those are my two main tunings and see how it sounds with the presets on my amp. hopefully I wont have much to worry about.

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

Unread 11-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ View Post
so for the chord Bsus for example (fingering=1st finger on 2nd fret 5th string. 3rd finger on 4th fret 4th string. 4th finger, 4th fret, 3rd string), I would play the same chord with the exact same fingering (as far as what string each of my fingers go on) but itd be on the 7th fret and 9th fret after capoeing on 5 instead of the 2nd and 4th fret.
yes, exactly.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #80
Baritone ax'er

and I assume the same would go for drop tunings as well, as far as the fingering after capoeing and dropping the low B to an A, right?

Now its a matter of buying a good capo, here are three links to capoes, LMK what you think would be best for using with the Baritone (I will be using this capo a lot, so it needs to be good):

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...roductId=86833

http://www.monkeyjunkie.com/product/.../SHUBB-C2.html

and for this last link to a capo, I'm not talking about buying this exact capo from this exact company, I'm just looking at the shape to see what's best:

http://www.wholenote.com/item--MC.KGEB

TIA
-Cam

Also, what thickness of strings would guys recommend me putting on? If it really matters, what brand of strings would you also recommend?

remember that I'll be playing anywhere from Drop B to standard tuning, so I probably wont be putting on anything thicker than 14's

Last edited by thesteve; 11-26-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Unread 11-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #81
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Unless I'm just missing something or you like playing along with records. What is the point of using a capo on a Baritone? I mean you can still use say the fingering of a G chord but it will just be a D chord. I just don't see the point in using a capo. But like I said I could just be missing something, if I am please point it out
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59 View Post
Unless I'm just missing something or you like playing along with records. What is the point of using a capo on a Baritone? I mean you can still use say the fingering of a G chord but it will just be a D chord. I just don't see the point in using a capo. But like I said I could just be missing something, if I am please point it out
well...if I had a baritone guitar and all my friends had guitars in standard tuning, I could slap a capo on the 5th fret and be tuned the same as everyone else.

or...as BSPE mentioned before...if you wanted to play in Drop B, you could tune the guitar to Drop A and capo on the 2nd fret...and voila Drop B.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #83

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...apo?sku=361502

This shubb capo is the newer model of the C capo you previously linked to.

I highly recommend buying one
CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #84
Baritone ax'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBongo View Post
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...apo?sku=361502

This shubb capo is the newer model of the C capo you previously linked to.

I highly recommend buying one

thanks for the link, now I need to find the right bag (soft shell). I can't get a hardshell since my amp is probably pushing 50lbs, I have to carry it like a large box with both hands, so I have to strap my guitar onto my back, so I need to find a good, decent soft shell case for the Baritone, any suggestions?

Unread 11-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #85
Poster Boy for G.A.S

Send a message via AIM to Joseiy
My bass amp is 45 I don't have much trouble taking my bass in a hardshell case and my bass amp. But I do have problems with running into doors..... But seriously hard case is always worth it you don't wanna have to pay 200 bucks for breaking the neck. Not to mention all the various other things that could happen to it. I have one of the Hardened soft cases for my Alvarez Acoustic which is way better than a regular gig bag. I can stand on it. I'm not sure if they are available for Electric.

I thought I had GAS...I'm nominating you for the official poster boy.
Electric Guitars Fender Highway One Telecaster
Amps Vox AC15 W/ Jensen Modtone, Crate V50
Effects Korg Pitchblack, SBN BDAB ,SBN Lil Eagle, EHX Holy Grail